Discount on Scriveners release...

De
Deadaus
Platform: Windows

Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:45 pm Post

Would be nice for all the beta testers to get a small discount code valid for a limited time when scrivener is finally released. Just a suggestion. Anyone agree with me? :mrgreen:

Re
Rebeca

Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:10 pm Post

The people who completed NANOWRIMO are getting a discount. We just have to show our certificate.

garpu
Platform: Linux

Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:16 pm Post

It would be cool (since I already used mine on my fiance's birthday/christmas present for the mac version), but I think I'll get the windows one, regardless. :)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

Ti
Titus

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:39 am Post

Um... Not really. I think considering the amount of work that has gone and is going into Scrivener. We should be considering ourselves lucky to be able to beta test these releases. As a full time author i nearly reluctantly bought a macbook just because i want to use scrivener as my main writing and creativity tool (together with freemind mind map). Considering how much i forked out for adobe creative premium CS5 i think scrivener is an absolute bargain and asking for discounts is frankly a tad stingy.
P.S. I have no financial interest in the scrivener project.
Titus Kodzoman- Norway

mo
morvenwestfield

Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:16 pm Post

I'm not sure if this is the case these days, but in a lot of beta software I used in the past, getting early access and the ability to influence the product (and help get the bugs out) was all one got. Then again, there is open source software out there that is absolutely free.

Currently I use a freeware product and an expensive commercial product (Word 2007), but neither of them do the job for me. I'm more than happy to donate my time for Scrivener for Windows.

I realize that I'm very fortunate, and can afford the software right now, but that some might not be able to, so Deadaus and garpu, don't feel I'm picking on you, okay? I just want the L & L folks to know I'm okay with paying what I consider an extremely reasonable price for a specialized tool.

ed
ed_

Sun May 08, 2011 4:33 pm Post

It's great being able to use software during its beta phase, but it's just that: a pre-release beta version. When it's ready for release, part of the launch hype for the developers will be to create a critical mass of interest. Some of that interest will come from people who have played with the beta versions and have told their friends about it. If those beta users are offered a small discount, somewhere around 15-20% they are not only likely to buy the software at the discounted rate, but those early adopters are also likely to act as "product evangelists" and create the desired ripples of interest. It seems to me that that would be a mutually rewarding arrangement, especially for those users who don't have a MOMOWRIMA or whatever it is discount code, and also for those who are not in a position to "consider" shelling out for a Macbook as a writing tool.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sun May 08, 2011 11:51 pm Post

Hi,

We're really, really grateful to all those who have taken the time to beta-test and report bugs. Unfortunately, however, it's impractical for us to offer mass-discounts on release, especially when poor Lee is already months behind and the debts are piling up. :) As we've said all along, we will be offering some discounts and freebies to users who have gone the extra mile to help us track critical bugs, or who have been particularly active in helping out of the forums, though. We're doing our best to keep a small list of such users (although we are bound to miss a few).

We haven't talked about a "introductory discount" although I'm personally inclined against such things as they tend to cause complaints when the price goes up, and we already set the price low and have gone out of our way to make it affordable. We certainly won't complain if some of the beta-testers want to buy at the educational price on launch, though, which would give you a modest $5 discount at least.

Many thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Floss

Thu May 12, 2011 12:53 pm Post

Software developers need Porsches too, y'know.

But seriously, the less money you give L&L, the more time Lee has to spend working in lap dancing clubs in order to pay his rent. Which means it will take all the longer for him to turn WinScriv 1.0 into WinScriv 2.0

Why would you want that? Why?
i am happy to give feedback on short passages.

be warned, though. my feedback can be blunt... always well intentioned and aimed at helping you improve, but possibly more honest than you are used to.

as such, i will only chip in if directly invited.

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu May 12, 2011 1:09 pm Post

Floss wrote:Lee has to spend working in lap dancing clubs
:shock: :oops: Really!! Well slap my furry thigh! Er...doing...what, exactly?
Fluff
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

Floss

Thu May 12, 2011 1:25 pm Post

Fluff wrote::shock: :oops: Really!! Well slap my furry thigh! Er...doing...what, exactly?
Fluff

Slapping your furry thigh, I heard. :shock:
i am happy to give feedback on short passages.

be warned, though. my feedback can be blunt... always well intentioned and aimed at helping you improve, but possibly more honest than you are used to.

as such, i will only chip in if directly invited.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Thu May 12, 2011 3:00 pm Post

I'm now getting a bit worried that Fluff has split into multiple personalities...
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu May 12, 2011 4:00 pm Post

Looks like a Dark Twin.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

bargonzo

Thu May 12, 2011 4:54 pm Post

I always thought Fluff was already an alter-ego for somebody else--like Vic-K or somebody...
Imagine this very elaborate scientific lie: that sound cannot travel through outer space. Well, but suppose it can.

Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

Jaysen

Thu May 12, 2011 6:02 pm Post

bargonzo wrote:I always thought Fluff was already an alter-ego for somebody else--like Vic-K or somebody...

Exactly. So when the alter ego gets an alter ego, things are getting really bad.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu May 12, 2011 6:03 pm Post

You do realise this forum has an actual membership of fifteen people.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles