NaNoWriMo 2010--DONE! Thanks to Scrivener!

StarTigress
Platform: Windows

Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:08 pm Post

I won too!!!!!
THANKS SCRIVENER! :D
I <3 Scrivener for Windows Beta. Thanks to everybody who helped create it!!!

"A pen went scribbling along and when it tried to write love, it broke...." ~Rumi

El
Eluin

Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:51 pm Post

I've done it to! And I have to say its a great programm. All things I missed in the past ... many open worddocuments, pictures, maps and so on are now in one programm. On my netbook its really easier to write in this way (little screen you know)...
I hope the realease will be really soon... I wont to know how my characters go on - yes 50.000 words are written but lets say 100.000 more can be done... I hope the release will be really early in 2011 so I can go on with my writings in scrivener and dont have to go back to word for a long time.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:08 pm Post

Eluin - You can keep using the beta up until the official release! Lee's planning to release 1.4 mid to late next week, so it'll be out before the current one shuts down. You won't be kicked back to Word! :)
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

an
andygrunt
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:35 pm Post

I also ‘won’ NaNoWriMo using Scrivener.

I decided to give it a go for the first time ever, just the day before it started. The two things that tipped the balance for me was 1) It gave me a chance to give the Scriv Windows Beta a proper workout and 2) The 50% discount if you won. Not having tried doing NaNoWriMo before, I can’t definitively say how much using Scriv helped me cross the 50k line but I do know a couple of things.

The first one is that (don't hate me) I found it pretty easy. I think that’s partly down to a couple of decisions I made (getting up early to write for two dedicated hours each day, setting myself a 2000 word daily target and already having a story idea to start on) but at least some of that ease must be down to Scriv. I found having the target word count progress bar was really helpful and a good motivation (would love the option to play a sound file when I hit the target though – a ding or wild applause perhaps). Also, I found it a more interesting/fun experience than if I’d done it in my usual word processor of choice, Atlantis. Although I love Atlantis and use it every day (it’s quick and has some great, quirky features), like all word processors, it’s not setup to organise document parts and view those parts in the way Scriv is.

I will continue using Atlantis for my day to day writing but I already know Scrivener is better suited for some projects (e.g. Script Frenzy). For me, they make a great combination. I can’t wait for Scrivener for Windows to have the missing (Mac version) features added and be released – I’ve got a 50% discount burning a hole in my virtual pocket!

By the way, anyone know what the UK price will be with the discount? I've only seen the price quoted in dollars.
Windows 7 Professional, 32 Bit & Mac OS X Lion

da
dancingfool

Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:36 pm Post

Last year (my first nano), I finished, 6 days late. This year, I finished 1 day early. And I have to give Scrivener at least part of the credit for that 1 week difference.

But I have a Major Complaint.
I am NOT a patient person. I'm sitting here, with code in hand, and you're telling me I have to Wait - perhaps a couple of MONTHS before I can buy Scrivener??? GRRRR?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Love you guys at L&L. I truly am not a patient person. But this is definitely worth waiting for. (Now if I can just manage to not throw out my code.)

Laurie

El
Eluin

Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:58 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:Eluin - You can keep using the beta up until the official release! Lee's planning to release 1.4 mid to late next week, so it'll be out before the current one shuts down. You won't be kicked back to Word! :)

Wah!!! That are really great news! Thanks! *kisses* :lol:

LAP

Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:32 am Post

You all deserve a big pat on the back for NaNo, the mind boggles at how you manage to get through it all and win. I'm truly in awe. Well done!