NaNoWriMo 2010--DONE! Thanks to Scrivener!

RSMcGowan
Platform: Windows

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:22 pm Post

I mentioned right after this beta became available that I might actually finish NaNoWriMo this year thanks to Scrivener. Well, it's happened! I'm an official winner for the first time since my yearly efforts began in 2005. There's no way I would have kept chugging through without Scrivener, so thank you guys so much!

The ability to separate files, chapters and everything else, as well as importing images, has helped me tremendously. Using Word for NaNo seriously made it feel like a chore and was way too hard to have 10 different files open just for one project. Scrivener, however, made writing fun again, which is something I've been missing since high school. So, thanks, you guys! And good luck to everyone else that's wrapping up!
Testing Specs: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, HP Pavilion G7 Notebook PC, Intel i3 processor
Don't blink. | 2010 & 2011 NaNoWriMo Winner!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:26 pm Post

Yay! Congratulations on winning. Glad Scrivener helped you find the joy in writing again.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

li
livinglighthouse

Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:31 am Post

I just finished NaNoWriMo today with 50,131 words and am still going strong. I've used Word in the past and it was great ease of use wise but as far as organization, nada! I didn't find Scrivener until 10 days into November but I took the time to move all my work over into the program. I was a little scared at learning a brand new program while also trying to write my book. I have to tell you, best decision I made all month! This program definitely made a big impact on me finishing NaNo this month, but also the quality of my writing as it kept me organized so that my story flowed more easily and I could effortlessly move things around as my story changed. Thank you, THANK YOU for your offer to NaNoWriMo writers, and for Windows users in particular, you are to be applauded, I look forward to the full version coming out, I plan to be one of the first to purchase.
Keep up the great work
Rachel Meyers
NaNoWriMo user- livinglighthouse

RSMcGowan

Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:43 am Post

Yay congrats to you! It's definitely a giant help to be able to easily find plot points and whatnot. Before, I would seriously forget all kinds of stuff in a story. Scrivener is just great. I actually got my best friend to use it for NaNo as well. I'm slowly spreading the word, haha.
Testing Specs: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, HP Pavilion G7 Notebook PC, Intel i3 processor

da
dagaz

Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:59 pm Post

I first heard about NaNoWriMo through the Scrivener forums years ago. Each year I've thought to myself 'Imagine trying to write 50,000 words in a month!' and shaken my head in amazement at both the people who try to do it and the ones that actually complete it.

This year I decided my writing needed a shake up so set myself up for the challenge. This morning I've completed my story, compiled it and had it verified by NaNoWriMo. I'm a winner! Un-freaking-believable! But, now it's over, I can try to get the rest of my life back on track.

Have a good day all, especially any other WriMos desperately trying to finish their novel.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:46 pm Post

Well done, Dagaz!

But, now it's over, I can try to get the rest of my life back on track.

As one who has done this a few times: shower is second door on the left; those court issued notices stapled to the front of the door should probably be attended to; and spouse can be reached via your mother-in-law.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

olorinpc

Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:09 am Post

Congrats! Just finished my 50k a day early as well :) 3rd year attempting, 2nd finishing.

Now... planning on shelving this years novel and going back to editing and re-writing last years NaNo novel :) Have to finish that up *someday* hehe.
Jakob Barnard
EpicPlains.com

Writer, Editor, Blogger

na
naquada
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:17 pm Post

also completed my 50k words thanks to Scrivener 2.0

this year was doubly tough with my son being born on 31st October!! but hes been sleeping 7 hours a night, and has been an angel and hasn't minded looking at the words on the screen as I typed, or minded me dictating into the Macbook during nappy changes and story time ;)
Associate of The Inner Magic Circle

RSMcGowan

Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:25 pm Post

Aww congrats on the baby AND on finishing! At least the little guy knows the importance of writing already.

mx
mxleop

Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:32 pm Post

This was my first NaNoWriMo as well. I didn't use Scrivener for writing though. I did my novel entirely on my IPad. I will be importing everything into Scrivener for editing and revision. Would be nice to have Scrivener on the IPad. Might be something to think about. :wink:

NaNoWriMo 2010 Winner!

olorinpc

Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:46 pm Post

mxleop wrote:This was my first NaNoWriMo as well. I didn't use Scrivener for writing though. I did my novel entirely on my IPad. I will be importing everything into Scrivener for editing and revision. Would be nice to have Scrivener on the IPad. Might be something to think about. :wink:

NaNoWriMo 2010 Winner!

Keith has someone looking into an ipad version, but is making no promises.

Here is how he describes how to do Scrivener and ipad syncing:
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/blog/?p=157

Here he covers a bit more on ipad version:
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/blog/?p=104

Congrats on the win!
Jakob Barnard
EpicPlains.com

Writer, Editor, Blogger

Be
Bereni

Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:25 pm Post

Congrats, all you NaNo winners! I just finished myself and the first thing I did was take a shower! Lol! Scrivener was such a joy to use in the process, and it's going to make editing so much easier. I wrote a good deal of my novel on my alphasmart neo and transferred it into it's designated chapter in Scrivener. Worked like a charm. Now, I'm going to start another project where can work more slowly and take advantage of all that the program has to offer. It's brilliant! Thanks guys!

gr
greyspade

Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:48 pm Post

This was my second year trying NaNoWriMo and my first using Scrivener for Windows. Scrivener made it easy to compartmentalize my scenes, organize my storyboard, and keep all my research in line. This year I actually finished and finished early, crossing the 50K line on 17 Nov.

There is an intimidation factor that begins for me at about the 10K mark. When I see all my words stacked up in Word or JDarkroom, I can feel just how much I've already written. My subconscious starts working against me. You've written enough, right? Wow, that is a lot of words. Are you sure you can keep this up for another 40K? The weight of it become oppressive and my fingers freeze... and I quit.

Scrivener let me chop up my writing into scenes, giving me a blank page for every scene. It's a small thing, but it made a profound difference to me. I can honestly say that I may not have finished NaNoWriMo this year without Scrivener.

Ma
MarcyKate

Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:14 am Post

Just wanted to chime with my thanks for such a fantastic program! I won NaNoWriMo Saturday afternoon and Scrivener was a life saver at keeping me focused, on track, and organized. I can't wait until the full version is released!

Mi
MikeF

Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:30 am Post

I'm another NaNo winner and I really couldn't have done it without Scrivener.

One thing that I found useful was to use Scrivenings mode to display my last section directly above any new section I was starting. That meant that I was never faced with a totally blank page, and the crippling writers block that can produce. :)

But it was the way I could break everything down into smaller sections that really helped. Everything seemed much more achievable.

Thank you for a brilliant program and I look forward to buying it when the full version is released.