Templates

ma
majtophat
Platform: Windows

Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:34 pm Post

I know this probably is not a big priority right now, especially since a lot of people are doing NaNo, but i was wondering when the other templates were going to be implemented. And I was also wondering if it were possible to make the templates and somehow export them into Scrivener, and if this requires writing some code I won't mind, I am a computer programmer to the core. Did you use C++ to write Scrivener?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:20 pm Post

Edit: Removed as this answer had nothing to do with the Windows version. :oops: See below for answer.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ge
GeoJunkie

Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:30 pm Post

AmberV,

The Windows users that are reading this forum can't update to the 2.0 version yet, can we?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:54 pm Post

Many apologies! I got snagged by the Wrong Forum Syndrome. Heh.

I'll edit the above with a disclaimer.

For Windows, built-in templates will probably not be fully implemented until closer to release, otherwise it would take extra time to keep them all up to date and bug-free until the end, time which could be better spent fixing bugs and getting features implemented.

As for the template feature itself, once this is implemented the basics of what I described are available to Windows users as well. For example the basic idea of setting up a project the way you want it as a starter, and then using `File/Save As Template` are identical. This has yet to be fully wired up yet, but when it is, no programming knowledge will be necessary. I'd presume this will happen well before final release, so that it can be properly tested. I'm not sure where it is on the road map though.

It is C++ by the way.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ma
majtophat

Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:07 am Post

Thats what I thought, thank you for the replies!

no
norm311

Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:46 am Post

You can make your own templates for Windows Scrivener 1.3
I have done it myself a few times.
Just start a New Project. Set up an empty/blank layout, i.e how many chapters, folders/documents you want for characters, scenes, locations, or whatever.

In the Characters' folder, I set up a baseline document with a listing of character attributes, name, age, sex, personality, appearance, etc.
Name:
Eye colour:

Keep the baseline document blank so you can replicate it with the Duplicate command, from Right Clicking on the folder or document file. This way you can duplicate the character document as many times as you wish. Be sure to rename each new iteration.

You can then add the information next to the headings or lists.

You can tailor any folder or document to suit your own unique needs.

I have chapter folders set up in the Drafts Folder, i.e. 16 or 20 or whatever. All labeled Chapter 01, Chapter 02, and so on. I just have to add scenes to the folders.

You can add as many folders/documents as you want and you can set them up the way that suits you.

After you have your dummy/blank project done the way you want, under File menu choose Save As Template. This is lower down than the "Save As" option. It says "Save As Template". Scrivener then asks what category you want it under. There, you have your own unique template that fits your own purpose.

Create a new project and your template will be there ready for use with all the other templates.

This beats adding the chapter folders, character documents, or whatever every time you start a new project.

When you decide to add to the design, open the project you used to make the Template and make the changes you want. Save it again as a template. You then have an updated template.

You can make as many Templates as you want.

I am just a new Scrivener user sharing my discoveries. I really like Scrivener. It has reduced my workload tremendously.