Using mac and windows versions

to
tolo

Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:16 am Post

Since the 2.0 OS X version is not yet out, we can't yet share between windows and mac?

kd
kdbertel
Platform: Windows

Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:28 am Post

You have to download the 2.0 NaNoWriMo preview for Mac, convert your 1.54 file to 2.0 through that, then bring it over to Windows.

You may also have to actually create a new project in 2.0 for Mac, and just copy everything from the old project to the new one.

I discuss this a little further here:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8618

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:48 am Post

You should be able to open your 1.x project in the 2.0 preview just fine. It will upgrade the project and create a backup of the original (which will remain 1.x) compatible. The new 2.0 project version will then be fully compatible with Windows.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

to
tolo

Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:29 am Post

"You have to download the 2.0 NaNoWriMo preview for Mac, convert your 1.54 file to 2.0 through that, then bring it over to Windows."

Great, found the download. Wasn't aware it was released yet. All should be well now!

ri
riverdawn
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:24 pm Post

File compatibility is with the 2.0 Mac format, not 1.x project format. To update your project you'll need to download the 2.0 preview to update the project first.

It might be worthwhile pointing this out clearly on the beta website. I spent half the night copying a large .scriv file from my mac to my pc laptop only to find out this morning - when I'm away from home and from my mac - that I can't actually use the file.

ji
jib
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:31 am Post

Hi,

I don't know if that will help, but I had the same problem. I work with a friend on a project and he's been using scrivener for some time on his mac and we've been waiting for the windows version (I use windows) for some time and it's great guys.
Ok so I received a zipped version of the project and I couldn't open it, no error message and nothing happening.
As I don't have access to a mac and couldn't ask for a reconverted version this morning, I decided to look into the windows .scrivx file of the project and looked at what could be different. After a few trials giving no results I could isolate the part that was posing problem :

Code: Select all

<Keywords>
        <Keyword ID="0">
            <Title>Characters</Title>
            <Color>0.867 0.0 0.732</Color>
            <Children>
                <Keyword ID="1">
                    <Title>character 1</Title>
                    <Color>0.999173 0.7512 0.1</Color>
                </Keyword>
                <Keyword ID="2">
                    <Title>Character 2</Title>
                    <Color>0.161 0.594828 0.0</Color>
                </Keyword>
            </Children>
        </Keyword>
    </Keywords>

The sequence number begins with 0 in the converted mac version and I saw that in the windows version of a new project file it begins at 1, so I incremented each keyword ID and tried to open the project and it worked fine...

Code: Select all

<Keywords>
        <Keyword ID="1">
            <Title>Characters</Title>
            <Color>0.867 0.0 0.732</Color>
            <Children>
                <Keyword ID="2">
                    <Title>character 1</Title>
                    <Color>0.999173 0.7512 0.1</Color>
                </Keyword>
                <Keyword ID="3">
                    <Title>Character 2</Title>
                    <Color>0.161 0.594828 0.0</Color>
                </Keyword>
            </Children>
        </Keyword>
    </Keywords>

I don't have access to a mac right now so I can't check if the new project keywords sequence begins with 0 or with 1 or anything else but that was what made it work for me. Be careful as I also tested just renumbering the first keyword ID to 1 instead of 0 without changing the others and the program began some kind of dead loop and crashed after completely messing up the .scrivx file.

hope that could help

Jib

kd
kdbertel

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:48 pm Post

That would probably explain why I was having trouble bringing my ScrivMac projects over to ScrivWin! Dragging stuff by binders worked, but it lost all my keywords and labels and such.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Windows version for some reason chokes on it being 0 (unexpected value?).

dm
dmwatlse

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:53 pm Post

I implemented Jib's procedure and it worked--file wouldn't open otherwise.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:37 pm Post

So what do we do if we don't have access to a Mac to do the conversion of our old 1.x Scrivener projects?
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

Ad
Adam Christopher

Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:38 am Post

Can somebody please update the status of Mac and Windows Scrivener compatibility? I am co-writing a project with a Windows user and she cannot open my Scriv file. I've bought Scrivener 2 and according to the FAQ, the Windows version is compatible. This is a major issue for us.

Cheers,

Adam

Ad
Adam Christopher

Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:28 pm Post

Twelve hours and no response? Huh.

kd
kdbertel

Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:40 pm Post

I think the implication is "I'm still working on it". It hasn't mentioned as being fixed yet in one of Lee's updates, and it's a known outstanding issue.

Have you tried the keyword fix?

What sort of error is she getting when she opens the file? Is anything happening?

More details makes it a lot easier for people to diagnose your problems, and give you updates on them, especially when you're posting in a thread in which a workaround solution has been mentioned.

Aside from that, you will just have to be patient. This is still beta software, remember, and in a non-google sense of the word.

kd
kdbertel

Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:44 pm Post

devinganger wrote:So what do we do if we don't have access to a Mac to do the conversion of our old 1.x Scrivener projects?

The solution that comes to my mind is to find a friend whom you trust who has ScrivMac 2.x, send him the ScrivMac 1.x project, have him convert it to ScrivMac 2.x, and send it back to you. Sub-optimal, but it may be all you can do, aside from just going into the old project and pulling everything out of the .rtf files.

Sidenote: it may make sense, when the Windows version is released, to just give it a 2.x version number, so it can get parity with the Mac version, and to make this file format business easier (do you have 1.x or 2.x?).

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:11 pm Post

Something to keep in mind is that by the time the Windows version rolls out, version 1.54 for the Mac will be a legacy product that only a minority of people still use. At that point, saying things like "project file compatibility" is easier and more accurate to do, because all of the official and up-to-date versions of Scrivener are using the same format. With the upgrade price being so cheap, and the advantages of upgrading as high as they are, and as simple to do, I don't see a protracted period of time where, like with XP, people are still using it many years later. So I don't think mucking around with the version number would be a good move just to clear up that (what will be a) minor point, as it will generate all kinds of confusion otherwise. Where did 1.0 go? Why doesn't 2.0 have as many features as 2.0 for the Mac? What does the Windows version get called when it finally does catch up to the Mac? Etc. Much easier to just call it by the feature level that the Mac version exhibited at that version level.

This doesn't solve the problem whereby users who no longer have a Mac for whatever reason, don't have 2.0 and so can't open their old projects. That's another issue---probably not a huge one---but yes that's going to crop up from time to time. Same problem with trying to open old AppleWorks documents for that matter. Do try and plan ahead with compatibility when transitioning between operating systems. Of course if the person has any access to a Mac at all, they could use the trial to fix up their projects.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

kd
kdbertel

Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:18 pm Post

AmberV wrote:version 1.54 for the Mac will be a legacy product that only a minority of people still use.

Yeah, I thought of that shortly after posting. It was just a sidenote, more of an ancillary thought. Not every idea is a good one :)