Multiple cursors?

ScrivTrex
Platform: Windows

Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:18 pm Post

Does scrivener have a Multiple Cursors feature in which you alt drag the cursor over many lines and edit text all at once? It doesn't appear to create multiple cursors when the cursor is alt dragged. This would be a useful feature as I'm in need of it now.
I'm a programmer at heart and a heart at programming. :)

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1909)
Intel core i7 (920 @2.67GHz)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Samsung Evo 860 1TB SSD
Western Digital 1TB HDD
24GB RAM
Scrivener 3 for Windows

drmajorbob
Platform: Mac

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:53 am Post

ScrivTrex wrote:Does scrivener have a Multiple Cursors feature in which you alt drag the cursor over many lines and edit text all at once? It doesn't appear to create multiple cursors when the cursor is alt dragged. This would be a useful feature as I'm in need of it now.

Click on a location, then shift-click on another. Or click, then move to the other location while holding down the cursor. Or double-click on a word. Or triple-click on a paragraph.
Teeth, without gums, fall loosely in the mouth.

(I'm not a Literature & Latte employee. Just another user.)

ScrivTrex

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:54 am Post

No, I'm not talking about selecting a whole bunch of text. I'm referring to the feature in other applications where you hold down the Alt key and drag down to create multiple blinking cursors so that you can add text to multiple lines all at once. Is this feature avaiable in scrivener?
Last edited by ScrivTrex on Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samsung Evo 860 1TB SSD
Western Digital 1TB HDD
24GB RAM
Scrivener 3 for Windows

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:04 pm Post

No.
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.3, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 11.3, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.5 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:03 pm Post

ScrivTrex wrote:No, I'm not talking about selecting a whole bunch of text. I'm referring to the feature in other applications where you hold down the Alt key and drag down to create multiple blinking cursors so that you can add text to multiple lines all at once. Is this feature avaiable in scrivener?

aka "column select". Short answer, as Mark has already said, is that no, Scrivener does not provide this feature. You tend to see this in applications that are meant to be more like programmers' text editors, where you may reasonably need to add the same text to multiple rows at the same time (like CSV files, or commenting out the code for an entire function at once in a program/script, etc.) and not in editors that are designed to be used more with prose.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

ScrivTrex

Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:58 pm Post

devinganger wrote:aka "column select". Short answer, as Mark has already said, is that no, Scrivener does not provide this feature. You tend to see this in applications that are meant to be more like programmers' text editors, where you may reasonably need to add the same text to multiple rows at the same time (like CSV files, or commenting out the code for an entire function at once in a program/script, etc.) and not in editors that are designed to be used more with prose.

I thought as much as I'm able to do it in Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code, and Notepad++ for my programming tasks. Thanks.

Samsung Evo 860 1TB SSD
Western Digital 1TB HDD
24GB RAM
Scrivener 3 for Windows

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:13 pm Post

ScrivTrex wrote:I thought as much as I'm able to do it in Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code, and Notepad++
devinganger wrote:You tend to see this in applications that are meant to be more like programmers' text editors

Yeah, Notepad++ and Notepad Replacer are standard installs on any Windows machine I own. I first met column select way back in the day with the classic Programmer's File Editor (PFE) Windows application -- that and PCRE search/replace are hard musts for every text editor I install now.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn