How do I fix the search bar?

Fl
FlintlockWriter
Platform: Windows

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:38 am Post

I'm encountering three major problems relating to the search bar in Scrivener 3:
1) The search bar isn't immediately accessible. I am forced to click the magnifying glass icon to make it appear. How can I make the search bar stay permanently, 100% of the time?
2) When I open the search bar, it always contains the most recent term I searched for. How can I prevent this? I do not want to have to repeatedly clear the search bar every single time I use it.
3) This is the biggest problem by far: I can't seem to search for an exact phrase with whole words. If I search for the term "get this," I only want "get this" as a result. Nothing else. Currently, using Exact Phrase will also return "forget this" as a result, and Whole Word will return any section that contains both words, regardless of order (e.g. "get in this" would count as a result).
Thank you! I'm loving the new software, but these changes to the search bar are throwing a giant wrench into my workflow, especially the third one.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:04 am Post

Section 11 of the manual goes into the specific behaviors to expect from the various search tools within Scrivener. The area you are talking about in particular is the Quick Search, covered in section 11.5.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

drmajorbob
Platform: Mac

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:11 am Post

FlintlockWriter wrote:I'm encountering three major problems relating to the search bar in Scrivener 3:
3) This is the biggest problem by far: I can't seem to search for an exact phrase with whole words. If I search for the term "get this," I only want "get this" as a result. Nothing else. Currently, using Exact Phrase will also return "forget this" as a result, and Whole Word will return any section that contains both words, regardless of order (e.g. "get in this" would count as a result).

You can work around it by searching for

Code: Select all

get this

(starting with a space).

Or you can try a RegEx search. I think this string works (after selecting RegEx as the search method):

Code: Select all

\bget this\b
Last edited by drmajorbob on Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teeth, without gums, fall loosely in the mouth.

(I'm not a Literature & Latte employee. Just another user.)

Fl
FlintlockWriter

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:03 am Post

Putting the search term in quotes is a useful bandaid for this problem, thank you!

As for the manual, I've read it. There's a wealth of information on complicated search features I would never use, but nothing on how to make the search bar a simple thing I can just start typing into, rather than clicking an icon to reveal the bar and then deleting the previous search term. That's two extra, unnecessary clicks between me and a really basic feature.

The ease of searching was like, my favorite part of Scrivener 1. Have we really lost this functionality?
Last edited by FlintlockWriter on Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

drmajorbob

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:14 am Post

FlintlockWriter wrote:Putting the search term in quotes is a useful bandaid for this problem, thank you!

As for the manual, I've read it. There's a wealth of information on complicated search features I would never use, but nothing on how to make the search bar a simple thing I can just start typing into, rather than clicking an icon to reveal the bar and then deleting the previous search term.

This was like, my favorite part of Scrivener 1. Have we really lost this functionality?

I didn't mean to use quotes. I meant to start with a space. I didn't know quotes would do anything, and I'm surprised if they do. In fact, after a test ... I found they don't do anything unless you intend to find a string that includes the quotes.
Last edited by drmajorbob on Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fl
FlintlockWriter

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:23 am Post

drmajorbob wrote:I didn't mean to use quotes. I meant to start with a space. I didn't know quotes would do anything, and I'm surprised if they do.

That's funny! The first thing I tried was using a space, and it doesn't help. But putting a phrase in quotes will search for it the way I want. I just hope that isn't what L&L intends, as it's a pain to have to think about that regularly when I'm supposed to be in writing mode.

Fl
FlintlockWriter

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:27 am Post

drmajorbob wrote: ... and in fact, after a test ... they don't do anything unless you intend to find a string that includes the quotes.

It works for me on Whole Word mode...

br
brookter

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:02 am Post

If you want Project Search to be permanently visible, make sure View > Binder and View > Collections are both ticked. You'll see that Search Results is now an entry at the top of the binder. This seems to persist over closing the project.

Now, if you click on the magnifying glass, you'll get the Project Search entry field immediately instead of being given a choice of search types. Will that be nearer to what you want?

Otherwise, on the Mac, Customise Toolbar has the old Project Search bar available to drag into your toolbar, but as far as I can tell, that's not in the Windows version yet. Perhaps you should submit a feature request for it to be available so users can add it?

Fl
FlintlockWriter

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:08 am Post

brookter wrote:Now, if you click on the magnifying glass, you'll get the Project Search entry field immediately instead of being given a choice of search types. Will that be nearer to what you want?

Unfortunately, this doesn't help me. What I want is the Project Search entry field to be always open, without having to click the magnifying glass.

br
brookter

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:50 pm Post

Well, it reduces your current three clicks to two, which is a 33% improvement... As I said, I think you'll have to ask the developers to add the old search field into the toolbar customisations, as it is on the Mac.

But, as usual, if you're looking for the quickest route, your best bet is to use the shortcut, which plonks you straight in the right search field any way. I think it's Ctl-shift-f on Windows, but I could be wrong.

BTW, have you looked at the Quick Search function yet (can't remember the Windows shortcut)? It gives you the one-click feature you're looking for, and is useful as a combined search / navigation function. It's limited to the top ten hints, I think, and it does have the range of search options, but it may be of use for quick searches.

HTH.

Fl
FlintlockWriter

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:27 pm Post

brookter wrote:Well, it reduces your current three clicks to two, which is a 33% improvement... As I said, I think you'll have to ask the developers to add the old search field into the toolbar customisations, as it is on the Mac.

But, as usual, if you're looking for the quickest route, your best bet is to use the shortcut, which plonks you straight in the right search field any way. I think it's Ctl-shift-f on Windows, but I could be wrong.

BTW, have you looked at the Quick Search function yet (can't remember the Windows shortcut)? It gives you the one-click feature you're looking for, and is useful as a combined search / navigation function. It's limited to the top ten hints, I think, and it does have the range of search options, but it may be of use for quick searches.

HTH.

On the last version of Scrivener, it's only 1 click. That's still the number this new version needs to match if I'm going to use it for my work. Especially since this version requires typing extra syntax to even get the search I want.

What is the difference between Quick Search and Project Search? I'll gladly use whatever shortcut puts my cursor in an empty search bar.

br
brookter

Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:43 am Post

(EDIT: There's a solution to your problem: see the bottom of the post).

You see that large bar in the middle of the tool bar with the tool bar ? That has a double function of showing you document information and as the Quick Search bar (it's also called the 'toolbar search field'.)

(Actually, it has three functions: if you hover over it it will show Word Count and Target for the selection).

Click on it and type something in — you'll get a list of the top X matches (I think it's about 12) where the search terms are in the Title or the Text, grouped separately. Click on one and you'll got to the document it's. It's the quickest way to navigate to document whose name you already know, but it's also a good way of checking whether text is anywhere in the project. If you need to you can move straight to full project search from there, with the search term already fill in.
Screenshot 2021-04-13 at 09.39.08.png
Screenshot 2021-04-13 at 09.39.08.png (393.33 KiB) Viewed 287 times

BTW: you'll find it helpful to scan the Interactive Tutorial — there's a collection there with 'What's New in Version 3' and you'll find a lot of new features.

I used the Tutorial to take the screenshot above and noticed something — the paragraph I highlighted from the section on searching.

The magnifying glass button in the toolbar provides quick access to a number of search tools. Click on the magnifying glass to bring up the Project Search field. Or, click on the arrow next to it to bring up a menu of other search tools.

I've just tested this and it works — you go straight to the search field and the cursor is in the field in one click. You just have to click on the magnifying glass, not the arrow. Try it and see — if it's not working for you then that needs to be investigated as a bug, not intended behaviour.

I've never used the icon (the shortcuts are more efficient and I rarely use the toolbar at all) so hadn't picked this up, but I hope it gives you what you need.

Regards.

drmajorbob

Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:09 am Post

FlintlockWriter wrote:
brookter wrote:Now, if you click on the magnifying glass, you'll get the Project Search entry field immediately instead of being given a choice of search types. Will that be nearer to what you want?

Unfortunately, this doesn't help me. What I want is the Project Search entry field to be always open, without having to click the magnifying glass.

brookter wrote:(EDIT: There's a solution to your problem: see the bottom of the post).
Regards.

The Quick Search box isn't there by default (or it wasn't at my machine), but you can go to View->Customize Toolbars->Quick Search & Targets to add it.

StaceyUK
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:58 pm Post

<Snip>

The magnifying glass button in the toolbar provides quick access to a number of search tools. Click on the magnifying glass to bring up the Project Search field. Or, click on the arrow next to it to bring up a menu of other search tools.

I've just tested this and it works — you go straight to the search field and the cursor is in the field in one click. You just have to click on the magnifying glass, not the arrow. Try it and see — if it's not working for you then that needs to be investigated as a bug, not intended behaviour.

I've never used the icon (the shortcuts are more efficient and I rarely use the toolbar at all) so hadn't picked this up, but I hope it gives you what you need.

Regards.[/quote]

Thanks for this!
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

[b]Windows 10
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.3/1.1.5 (1301)
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.9.17 Beta