How to Select All Scenes in Binder

sk
skidawayme
Platform: Windows

Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:36 pm Post

Hey Everyone,

Excited to begin using Scrivener 3, but right away, hit a bit of a snag. All my color-coded folders in the binder had become monochromatic. I selected all files and managed to change everything to a chapter color but i can't find a way to select all the scenes and change their color.

Can anyone help me? Appreciate it very much,
Jane

drmajorbob
Platform: Mac

Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:11 pm Post

skidawayme wrote:Hey Everyone,

Excited to begin using Scrivener 3, but right away, hit a bit of a snag. All my color-coded folders in the binder had become monochromatic. I selected all files and managed to change everything to a chapter color but i can't find a way to select all the scenes and change their color.

Can anyone help me? Appreciate it very much,
Jane

Are they color-coded based on Label?

I'd click on a lowest-level (farthest right) scene in the Binder, ctrl-A to select all scenes, right-click on anything, choose Label, and set the same label for everything (or do whatever you do for color-coding). Then go a step higher in the hierarchy and View->Collapse to current level. With any luck and proper organization, ctrl-A again selects chapters. Change their label or color. If necessary, go a level higher, collapse again, and relabel.

However, in my WIP, scenes have section type = scene and chapters have section type = chapter. Hence I can search on section type to select all scenes or all chapters.
Teeth, without gums, fall loosely in the mouth.

(I'm not a Literature & Latte employee. Just another user.)

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:27 pm Post

If the issue is just that the label colour is not currently displaying in the binder, selecting all the documents isn't necessary. Go to View > Use Label Color In > Binder to enable the feature, and optionally also click Show As Background Color In Binder from the same submenu to have the colour appear as a bar, similar to Scrivener 1, rather than just a coloured dot.

If you do need to select multiple items in the binder, there are various ways to do this; the Edit > Select > submenu contains some new options like Select Subgroups that may be helpful to you beyond Ctrl+A to Select All or Shift+ or Ctrl+clicking to create your selection. You may also want to use the outliner to sort items and make a selection there, or use the project search as suggested in the previous post.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

sk
skidawayme
Platform: Windows

Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:09 pm Post

Thanks, both of you, for the suggestions. Will definitely follow up on them.
Jane