How could one automatically split a document / folder in certain places?

Bi
Biff
Platform: Windows

Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:52 am Post

How could one automatically split a document / folder in certain places in a single step (not one by one)? E.g. I want to split a doc

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et
here
ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et
here
dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum.
here
Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.
here
Windows 10, 64bit

RobG
Platform: Mac

Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:57 pm Post

There isn't any automatic method once the text is in Scrivener. Ctrl-K splits the document where the cursor is.

You can automatically split text as you import it with the Import and Split command. See page 98 of the manual.

Bi
Biff

Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:53 pm Post

Thank you!

You can automatically split text as you import it with the Import and Split command. See page 98 of the manual.

So I could copy the text to e.g. an Open Office Document, add "#" to each place I want Scrivener do the splitting and import it to Scrivener automatically doing the spllits at th "#"?
Windows 10, 64bit

RobG

Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:06 pm Post

Yes, but if you are manually adding the # you may as well just split while you are there. It would only save you time if you do it via a find/replace or if some kind of discrete character is already there.

Bi
Biff

Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:18 pm Post

Yes, that is true of course.

Suppose I want to add a paragraph in the middle of a document and I want the paragraph to be in a single document. What is the best / fastest method to achieve that? I first would add the new pargraph to the place I want to have it between the two text parts, then just split the doc by pressing CTRL+K before the paragraph pressing again and after it?
Windows 10, 64bit

RobG

Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:23 pm Post

Yes, or put the paragraph in its own document first, then split the document and place the paragraph doc between them in the Binder.

Bi
Biff

Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:44 pm Post

OK, great, thank you very much!
Windows 10, 64bit