When I edit / add text the texts jumps up or down. How could one avoid it?

Bi
Biff
Platform: Windows

Fri May 08, 2020 8:03 am Post

When I edit / add / delete text / phrases / words the text in the editor jumps up or down. How could one avoid it?
Windows 10, 64bit

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri May 08, 2020 8:38 am Post

Are you using typewriter mode so the currently edited line is centered?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

br
brookter
Platform: Mac

Fri May 08, 2020 8:40 am Post

Do you have Typewriter mode on? It's designed to keep the cursor at a certain point in the editing window, so if you're moving around to edit different parts of the text, it will shift the page around to accommodate that.

I don't have the Windows version so can't tell you which menu the feature is on, I'm sorry, but there'll be a shortcut for it as it's designed to be toggled on and off quickly.

Bi
Biff

Fri May 08, 2020 8:44 am Post

No, it is not activated:

Windows 10, 64bit

br
brookter

Fri May 08, 2020 8:50 am Post

That setting is the default for new projects, but AFAIR even in the V2 you can toggle it on and off for a session without changing that default (the idea is basically that you use it when you're writing and turn it off when you're editing). If you go into Keyboard options and search for Typewriter there should be a shortcut for it to use ad hoc when you need it.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri May 08, 2020 9:14 am Post

Search for Typewriter scrolling in the Help menu if you don't find the menu command.
It's possible you unknowingly activated it with the shortcut.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Bi
Biff

Fri May 08, 2020 9:30 am Post

If you go into Keyboard options and search for Typewriter there should be a shortcut for it to use ad hoc when you need it.

Ah yes, that's it.

I assume, it is shown somewhere but I cannot find any display showing whether that option is activated or not.

It's possible you unknowingly activated it with the shortcut.

Yes, I would think so, too, but I guess, that is not possible, the two shortcuts didn't work.

Very irritating: although the option is turned off in the options it is not.

Many thanks!
Windows 10, 64bit

br
brookter

Fri May 08, 2020 10:01 am Post

The feature works independently in normal editing mode and in Full Screen composition mode — you have to toggle it on or off in each mode.

It's been years since I used the old version so can't tell you where the menu option is (or if there actually is one), sorry.Perhaps the shortcut toggles the tick box you showed a screen shot of?

Bi
Biff

Fri May 08, 2020 11:03 am Post

The feature works independently in normal editing mode and in Full Screen composition mode — you have to toggle it on or off in each mode.

Yes, I had found them.

It's been years since I used the old version so can't tell you where the menu option is (or if there actually is one), sorry.Perhaps the shortcut toggles the tick box you showed a screen shot of?

No, it does not, that is what I meant by irritating. Sorry, what old version?
Windows 10, 64bit

br
brookter

Fri May 08, 2020 1:49 pm Post

Both the Mac and the Windows Beta versions have a menu entry for Typewriter Scrolling (View > Text Editing > Typewriter Scrolling) and there's a tick against it when the feature is on, none when it's off.

It's been years since I used the Windows current release and in any case, the menu structure is different because there are so many new features, so I can't remember if there's an equivalent menu item.

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri May 08, 2020 3:45 pm Post

Biff,

In v1.9 you can customize the Main Toolbar to add an icon for Typewriter scrolling. Tools > Customize Toolbars > select Main Toolbar > select Typewriter Scrolling.

The icon will show you whether Typewriter Scrolling is enabled for each editor. It's a separate setting for the left editor and the right editor.

Unfortunately, in v1.9 there is no visible icon for Full Screen mode (but there is in the beta!).

In v1.9, from both the left and right editors, and also in Full Screen, you can toggle Typewriter scrolling by pressing Ctrl-G, Ctrl-T.

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

Bi
Biff

Fri May 08, 2020 7:02 pm Post

Both the Mac and the Windows Beta versions have a menu entry for Typewriter Scrolling (View > Text Editing > Typewriter Scrolling) and there's a tick against it when the feature is on, none when it's off.

Cannot find it here.

It's been years since I used the Windows current release and in any case, the menu structure is different because there are so many new features, so I can't remember if there's an equivalent menu item.

Yes, of course, may be some day I will find it, thank you.

Hello Jim,

Great, an icon, it is shown now, thank you.

Yes, those shortcuts do not work here (are used by another program, I assume), I have set another one that works.

Many thanks
Windows 10, 64bit

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri May 08, 2020 7:26 pm Post

Biff wrote:

Cannot find it here.

Yes, of course, may be some day I will find it, thank you.
In v1.9, it's under Format > Options > Typewriter Scrolling. Of course, now that you have the icon, you don't need to know that anymore. :mrgreen:
I’m just a customer.

Bi
Biff

Fri May 08, 2020 8:21 pm Post

Ah, format, I would not have thought that. Well, may be I should know that though.anyway, if the icon suddenly disappears (like the favorites icons).

Thank you!
Windows 10, 64bit