Text gets invisible

Bi
Biff
Platform: Windows

Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:39 pm Post

I have a "File" in the Binder of which the biggest part of the text is invisible / not shown. The last visible line shows the horizontal half on top of the line visible the other half below invisible. The rest of the text below is not visible. I can mark the invisible text (in the usual way, somewhere in the white space where the text is invisible, the text stays invisible) and copy it and paste it e.g. in another "File" or "Folder" and it gets visible

The file looks like a "Folder" with horizontal dotted lines separating the sibling folders / files.

How could I get the text visible and avoid the text getting invisible? And why is the text invisible?

Edit: suddenly the text looks like this (after clicking another item in the Binder and coming back it is invisible again):

Edit: When I search for phrases / a word in the invisible text with the project search (field on the right on the top) the entire text is shown.
Windows 10, 64bit

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:30 pm Post

Hi Biff,

Biff wrote:I have a "File" in the Binder of which the biggest part of the text is invisible / not shown. The last visible line shows the horizontal half on top of the line visible the other half below invisible. The rest of the text below is not visible. I can mark the invisible text (in the usual way, somewhere in the white space where the text is invisible, the text stays invisible) and copy it and paste it e.g. in another "File" or "Folder" and it gets visible
Try selecting all text inside the document, right-clicking the selected area, and choosing Text Color > Remove Color.

I hope that works for you!. :D But if it doesn't help, please post a screenshot so we can better see what's going on.

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

Bi
Biff

Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:18 pm Post

Hello Jim,

Does not help unfortunately (I do not use text color there besides of black). And since a horizonally half of one line is half visible (the other is not), I guess, this cannot be caused by the text color.

A screenshot, alright:

Many thanks!
Windows 10, 64bit

Ji
JimRac

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:10 pm Post

Biff wrote:And since a horizonally half of one line is half visible (the other is not
I’m not seeing that in your screenshot, Biff. Could you please show it?
I’m just a customer.

Bi
Biff

Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:00 pm Post

Yes, of course, I will try to:

Windows 10, 64bit

Ji
JimRac

Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:51 pm Post

Hi Biff,

Turn on Show Invisibles. Perhaps you'll get a hint there.

Does changing the font make a difference?

Worst case, I guess you can always copy from the problem doc into another. Otherwise, sorry, I have no ideas for you, :(

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

Bi
Biff

Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:05 pm Post

Hello Jim,

Show Invisibles? Where is it? And what for?

Does changing the font make a difference?

Good idea: when I change the fonts or their size the entire text disappears or a bigger or smaller part of it or anything else happens, e.g. the text looks like this:

The text cannot be zoomed, it stays the same, same size.

Worst case, I guess you can always copy from the problem doc into another. Otherwise, sorry, I have no ideas for you, :(

No no, no reason to sy sorry, very glad about your help, Jim.

Many thanks!
Windows 10, 64bit

Ji
JimRac

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:30 pm Post

Format > Options > Show Invisibles

This will toggle your view of the hidden control characters that Scrivener inserts, for instance line breaks or spaces. Perhaps that will reveal something flaky.

Although I'm starting to think, if the problem is just affecting this one document, then perhaps the doc has been corrupted somehow. That's a round about way of me saying, I don't have a clue what's causing this. :)

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

krastev

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:52 am Post

Probably the text has been copied from somewhere and still retains its original formatting and size. What I would do is I would copy it and paste it in a new document matching the style.
Krastev
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.16.0
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

Bi
Biff

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:30 am Post

Format > Options > Show Invisibles

It then looks like this:

Although I'm starting to think, if the problem is just affecting this one document, then perhaps the doc has been corrupted somehow. That's a round about way of me saying, I don't have a clue what's causing this. :)

Copying the content (with the issue obviously) of the document to another / new one does not help, And some of the formating / paragraphs get lost. Many thanks anyway.

Probably the text has been copied from somewhere

No, written in Scrivener.

What I would do is I would copy it and paste it in a new document matching the style.

Does not work unfortunaltely.
Windows 10, 64bit

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:50 am Post

Have you tried copying the text into a simple text editor? That sould strip out all rtf formatting.

It looks as if you have line spacing less than single line, fixed to exactly a number of points. Are you using styles?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Bi
Biff

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:56 am Post

Have you tried copying the text into a simple text editor? That sould strip out all rtf formatting.

Yes, I did. After copying the text back the same problem.

Are you using styles?

Not that I know of. Not by intention at least.
Windows 10, 64bit

Ji
JimRac

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:07 pm Post

Hi Biff,

Would it be possible for you to upload a sample of the project which illustrates the issue?

Asking because there are many variables at play here, and it would be far simpler to look at your settings in a project than have you list out everything in a post.

Prior to uploading, make a copy of the project, remove all documents except one or two which are having the issue, remove any personal information in the project, and zip it,

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

Bi
Biff

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:59 pm Post

Hello Jim,

Yes, I will do so, thank you. I created a new project - without any of the original text / files / data of my project - and I could simply reproduce the issue. Very strange.
Windows 10, 64bit

Ji
JimRac

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:23 pm Post

Hi Biff,

Thanks for sending the sample project, I also experienced the issues (text not visible or displayed in tiny letters or only half a line displayed).

I played around with it a bit, and apparently you've encountered some limitations in Scriv 1.9 Scrivenings mode.

It seems that when word counts in individual documents get into the 8k-9k range, 1.9 Scrivenings simply can't handle it, and the result is that these display issues present themselves.

As a workaround, I would suggest you either avoid Scrivenings mode in 1.9, or make your documents smaller.

FYI, I could not reproduce this in the v3 Beta Scrivenings mode, which could easily handle documents of 60k+ words, so you won't have this problem when v3 is released. :D

Best,
JIm
I’m just a customer.