Can one open the same project in two windows / instances?

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:02 pm Post

Biff wrote:Thank you .

Alternately, you can lock the editor (right-click on the icon in the editor's header, then choose the lock option), but that may still cause the outliner to scroll when you click in the binder.

Do you mean a left click? So locking it like Bill said by pressing CRL+SHIFT+L?
Yes.

Biff wrote:
If you happen to have a split editor, you can also change which editor the binder selection affects (Navigate->Binder Selection Affects menu).

Sorry, where is Navigate?
Rdale must be on Mac or Win Beta. On Win 1.9, use View->Binder Selection Affects menu.

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

Ji
JimRac

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:03 pm Post

Hi Biff,

Biff wrote:How could I copy items (without using the context menu / "Duplicate")?
Biff wrote:Yes, lack of document and folder option. Yes, using the duplicate option is possible but quite circumstancial, I would think, causing a renaming of the copy I do not want actually. First mark it, click the item in the contect menu, drag and drop it instead of simply dragging & dropping the item.
There is no way in Win Scriv to copy documents without using Duplicate, at least none that I'm aware of. :cry: Although, if you right-click on a folder that contains documents, and then select Duplicate from the right-click context menu, the duplicated folder is renamed but the duplicated documents it contains are not. Depending on your binder structure and what you are trying to accomplish, this may lead to a more efficient way to get it done.

Biff wrote:Each time I click documents in the binder (containing documents) the "Outliner" switches to document view, how could I avoid that?
As I mentioned in my prior reply (and Rdale too), to keep the Outliner view static, you should lock it. The command is Lock In Place. Select a document within the Outliner and then Lock in Place by View > Editor > Lock in Place or Ctrl+Shift+L. Or as Rdale mentioned, click on the icon in the editor's header and select Lock in Place. You'll know the Outliner is locked because the header will turn from blue to red. :)

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

Bi
Biff
Platform: Windows

Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:54 pm Post

Alright, no method to copy items (besides of doing it by "Duplicate").

As I mentioned in my prior reply (and Rdale too), to keep the Outliner view static, you should lock it. The command is Lock In Place.

Yes, I did understand that, very sorry, but it does not what I wanted, that does not work for me, when the Outliner is locked I cannot open folders / items in the editor(s), so this is not usable. I just want to keep the outline view and when I click items in the Binder I want them to be opened (their content, other folders / documents be shown) in that outline view.

And although I have unlocked the view of the left editor it keeps being locked, don't know why. The right editor works.

You'll know the Outliner is locked because the header will turn from blue to red. :)

Yes, yes, I noticed that. In this state of the editor I cannot open other items when I click them in the Binder. So I want the outline view keep static AND simply open folders / documents in it (to move them without letting the editor(s) switch to the document view). But I assume that is not possible. So I will try to just use it like it is.

Alright, so this is / these are the best way(s) to move items. It actually is like I did it before, very good to know there is no better way (so to say).

Many thans for your great help!
Windows 10, 64bit

Ji
JimRac

Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:11 pm Post

Biff wrote:And although I have unlocked the view of the left editor it keeps being locked, don't know why. The right editor works.
Make sure that View > Binder Affects is not set to "Right Editor", as that would cause what you're describing.

Biff wrote:when the Outliner is locked I cannot open folders / items in the editor(s), so this is not usable. I just want to keep the outline view and when I click items in the Binder I want them to be opened (their content, other folders / documents be shown) in that outline view...SNIP...In this state of the editor I cannot open other items when I click them in the Binder. So I want the outline view keep static AND simply open folders / documents in it (to move them without letting the editor(s) switch to the document view). But I assume that is not possible. So I will try to just use it like it is.
Hi Biff, I'm not fully clear on what you're trying to do. Maybe a screenshot would help my understanding.

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

Bi
Biff

Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:23 pm Post

Make sure that View > Binder Affects is not set to "Right Editor", as that would cause what you're describing.

It was set like that, cannot remember to have done it.

Hi Biff, I'm not fully clear on what you're trying to do. Maybe a screenshot would help my understanding.

Hello Jim, sorry for my bad expression. I am afraid, it cannot be described (better) by a screenshot. I just want to always have the outline view(s) and when I click a doc / folder in the Binder I do not want the outline view to be automcatically turned to the doc view.or another one. So I activate the outline view, I click a doc in the Binder and the outline view changes to another view.

Outline:
I click a doc in the Binder, not outline anyore:
So I have to click "Outline view" again and so on.
Windows 10, 64bit

JJ
JJSlote
Location: Unlogged bugs thru RC10:  t=61527 HTML clpbrd miscode. Lingering bugbear LH4210 (59781)

Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:15 pm Post

Biff wrote:I just want to always have the outline view(s) and when I click a doc / folder in the Binder I do not want the outline view to be automcatically turned to the doc view.or another one. So I activate the outline view, I click a doc in the Binder and the outline view changes to another view.
So I have to click "Outline view" again and so on.

Hi..I'd recommend checking the box at File > Options > Behaviors > Folders & Files > Treat all documents with subdocuments as Folders.

With that box checked, any doc with subdocuments will default to a group view.

Cheers - Jerome

Ji
JimRac

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:59 am Post

Hi Biff,

I can see in your screenshot that the Editor Pane is unlocked, because the header is blue. If you Lock in Place the editor pane with the Outliner, then the header will become red and Binder selections won't open documents.

Perhaps an example would help.

Here are the steps for setting up a flexible layout you could use for reorganizing your project structure:

1. Display the Binder, if not already displayed. View > Layout > Binder
2. Display two vertical editors, if not already displayed. View > Layout > Split Vertically
3. Set Binder Affects to left editor. View > Binder Affects > Left
4. Select the folder in the Binder that contains the items you want to move.
5. Click the header of the left Editor. The Header should turn blue.
6. Click the Outliner Icon in the Main Toolbar. The folder that you selected in the Binder should now be displayed in the left Outliner, if it wasn't already.
7. Lock the left Outliner in place. View > Editor > Lock in Place. The left Outliner Header should turn red.
8. Set Binder Affects to point to the right editor. View > Binder Affects > Right
9. Enable the "Automatically open selection in other editor pane" button in the left Outliner footer, if it wasn't already.

(That may seem like a lot of steps, but it probably took me only 20 seconds to actually set up in Scrivener.)

Here's what it should look like when you're done setting it up:
Example.jpg
Example.jpg (521.73 KiB) Viewed 2989 times

The idea is that you now have 3 areas to utilize in a project reorganization.

Use the Binder and the left Outliner to move items around.

In the right Editor you can view documents from either the Binder or the left Outliner, in case you want to confirm their contents.

I hope you find this helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

Bi
Biff

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:01 am Post

Hi..I'd recommend checking the box at File > Options > Behaviors > Folders & Files > Treat all documents with subdocuments as Folders.

Hello!
Thank you, but sorry, I cannot find such an option here. Edit: I guess, it here is "Treat all...":

Hello Jim!

I can see in your screenshot that the Editor Pane is unlocked, because the header is blue. If you Lock in Place the editor pane with the Outliner, then the header will become red and Binder selections won't open documents.

Yes, it then will not open anything

Yes, it is not locked, when I lock it nothing will be opened anymore. But I want to open docs / folders to move them.

Perhaps an example would help.

Actually I would not think so, all I could show is the editor being locked:

4. Select the folder in the Binder that contains the items you want to move.

The folder or the document, I assume.

6. Click the Outliner Icon in the Main Toolbar. The folder that you selected in the Binder should now be displayed in the left Outliner, if it wasn't already.

Like this:

7. Lock the left Outliner in place. View > Editor > Lock in Place. The left Outliner Header should turn red.

What for is that needful? When you click into the right editor it will be used. Or is it to just to show the content of the item in the left editor? Ah I see (your statement below), you move the items between the Binder and the left editor instead of between the editors.

9. Enable the "Automatically open selection in other editor pane" button in the left Outliner footer, if it wasn't already.

Sorry, I could not find that but it works without it like it seems to. Edit: I see (your statement below), to just show the content of the item in the left editor.

(That may seem like a lot of steps, but it probably took me only 20 seconds to actually set up in Scrivener.)

Yes, indeed. Especially if you just want to move / "copy" just like that some items.

Thank you very much for the insctruction.

Use the Binder and the left Outliner to move items around.

In the right Editor you can view documents from either the Binder or the left Outliner, in case you want to confirm their contents.

I hope you find this helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Yes, very helpful, many thanks!
Windows 10, 64bit

Bi
Biff

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:39 pm Post

That would be great! Where / how can I open a new window? And I cannot even find "Open Project".
Windows 10, 64bit

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:44 pm Post

That’s also a quick way of corrupting a project, editing different copies simultaneously. :D
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Bi
Biff

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:47 pm Post

Oops, why does that corrupt projects?
Windows 10, 64bit

lunk

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:09 pm Post

Because Scrivener isn’t designed to handle simultaneous editing of the same document.
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Bi
Biff

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:14 pm Post

Very strange, why then does it offer it at all (if it really does)?
Windows 10, 64bit

lunk

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:24 pm Post

It doesn’t.

Bi
Biff

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:32 pm Post

A bit irritating, alright.
Windows 10, 64bit