Scrivener Won't Start

Ja
James Fortune
Platform: Windows

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:59 am Post

I bought Scrivener some years ago and it has been at least a year since I last used it but I have now received a commission to write again.

I started Scrivener up this morning and it said that I had an unlicensed copy which is not true.

It also said I needed to upgrade it, so I did.

Now it won't start!!

Am I doing something wrong?

Please help ASAP. I'm desperate.
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune

er
erict

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:03 pm Post

Same here. After years of use on a very regular basis (less than 12 hours ago) I am told this is an unlicensed copy and then it dies.

Thankfully re-entering the license key fixed mine.

I prefered the threat on a count down rather than the hard kick me out.

It appears the license checking code is still flakey. I think a little more logic is required.

My life is in Scrivener and I am now getting frightened this could happen on the day I need it. Obviously I know I can get to the files, but when you are working to deadlines, this is not that comforting.

Perhaps Word and Onenote are a better option after all?

Ja
James Fortune

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:22 pm Post

I can't start Scrivener now, so re-entering the Licence code is not a solution for me.

I re-downloaded the Windows program and re-installed it but still no luck. :-(

What's going on?

Why won't Scrivener run?

This is VERY worrying and frustrating. I need to get on with my work but I can't.
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune

Ja
James Fortune

Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:23 pm Post

SOLVED!!!

With hours of rebooting, reinstalling and jiggery-pokery, I've manged to get Scrivener to open! Woo hoo!

And, again, with a fiddle or two, I re-applied the Serial Number and I THINK I'm back to normal.

Goodness me! What a weekend!
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune

Ro
Rob Atkinson

Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:40 am Post

Me too. It was fine yesterday but today it just won;t start. I've run compatibility tests and get the response that Scrivener is incompatible. The compatibility dialogue does seem to think i'm running Windows 8 - and there is no option for Windows 10 which is what i'm on. I've uninstalled and reinstalled - no good. I'm still on my trial period and would love to purchase - but not at this rate. It looks like I've already lost a lot of work

James Fortune wrote:I can't start Scrivener now, so re-entering the Licence code is not a solution for me.

I re-downloaded the Windows program and re-installed it but still no luck. :-(

What's going on?

Why won't Scrivener run?

This is VERY worrying and frustrating. I need to get on with my work but I can't.

re
rexxxar
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:50 pm Post

I just purchased Scrivener this morning and it didn't launch at all (initially it didn't want to start the installer either).
While the compatibility settings did help start it once, as soon as I closed the program I could not relaunch it anymore.

So I read all the past posts here regarding this issue and went to the Previous Versions section. Some of the updates mentioned Microsoft.NET 4.5 (runtime) apps, so I tackled that here in my workstation.

I went to:
Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off >
+.NET Framework 4.8 Advanced Services
..and enabled all the services in it.

Compatibility Setting:
Windows 7 (i also had to use Windows 7 for the installer)

Now I can relaunch it with no further issues (afaik).
Maybe this will help some of you too.
Hopefully they will issue an update/upgrade that won't give us any further headaches like this--especially for us who just bought it (Mac+Windows bundle too).

Good writing everyone.