Scrivener only opens by going through Word

Am
Amanda Clarke
Platform: Windows

Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:56 pm Post

Hello
Since a few days ago, when I create a file under Scrivener, it only opens by going through Word. The file extension is called scriv with an x at the end. When I open my file, it is no longer Scrivener that opens but Word. I uninstalled Scrivener and then reinstalled but nothing works ... what should I do? Thank you
Attachments
Capture d’écran (39).png
Capture d’écran (39).png (92.9 KiB) Viewed 565 times
Capture d’écran (40).png
Capture d’écran (40).png (276.75 KiB) Viewed 565 times

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:47 pm Post

It sounds like you are opening a .scrivx file. The .scrivx file is NOT your Scrivener project. It is an index file containing essential info on your project which is used by Scrivener to manage things. That .scrivx file lives inside a folder and it is the whole folder itself which is your Scrivener project.

What happens if you just launch Scrivener and then tell Scrivener to open the project?
Last edited by gr on Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:18 pm Post

Amanda Clarke wrote:Hello
Since a few days ago, when I create a file under Scrivener,..

What do you mean by ..."create a file under Scrivener"?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

ts
tswalker
Platform: Linux

Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:19 am Post

If I understand what you mean, when you click on a file with a .scrivx extension it opens in Word. It sounds like Windows changed the default program for .scrivx files to Word.

There's an easy fix but it's been years since I've used Windows . If this is the problem I'm sure someone more familiar with Windows will come along and help you switch it back.

Good luck.
TSWalker

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:41 am Post

gr wrote:It sounds like you are opening a .scrivx file. The .scrivx file is NOT your Scrivener project. It is an index file containing essential info on your project which is used by Scrivener to manage things. That .scrivx file lives inside a folder and it is the whole folder itself which is your Scrivener project.

Gr, on Windows, that .scrivx file is what you click on to launch the project -- since Windows doesn't understand the Mac file package format.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

devinganger

Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:49 am Post

tswalker wrote:If I understand what you mean, when you click on a file with a .scrivx extension it opens in Word. It sounds like Windows changed the default program for .scrivx files to Word.

It depends on what version of Windows it is. On Windows 10, you would open Explorer, browse to a .scrivx file, right-click the file and select "Properties."

You then see a window like the following on the left:

ScrivenerOpenWith.png
ScrivenerOpenWith.png (233.96 KiB) Viewed 475 times

Click the Change button and you will see the window on the right, which allows you to change it back to Scrivener if it is anything else .scrivx files should not be associated with Word, they should be associated with Scrivener.
--
Devin L. Ganger

Am
Amanda Clarke
Platform: Windows

Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:25 am Post

Problème résolu ! Merci DevinGanger !!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

devinganger

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:13 am Post

Amanda Clarke wrote:Problème résolu ! Merci DevinGanger !!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Happy to be of service.
--
Devin L. Ganger