Scrivener 1913 Sluggish Start

pa
paul.jacob
Platform: Windows

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:15 pm Post

Scrivener 1913 is starting slow and sluggish since yesterday. After I click on the icon, it takes about five seconds to open and when it does the menu buttons are missing and the type in the Binder and Editor is small. It takes 10-20 seconds for the menus to appear and the type to become normal size (according to my specs).

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:18 pm Post

paul.jacob wrote:Scrivener 1913 is starting slow and sluggish since yesterday. After I click on the icon, it takes about five seconds to open and when it does the menu buttons are missing and the type in the Binder and Editor is small. It takes 10-20 seconds for the menus to appear and the type to become normal size (according to my specs).

It would help your fellow users if you told them what your "specs" are: what version of Windows, what processor, RAM etc., also how big your project is, does it include images, etc.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.2, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:52 pm Post

And when was the last time you rebooted?
I’m just a customer.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:57 pm Post

I'd recommend updating to Scrivener 1.9.14, which fixes some potential causes of sluggishness.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

pa
paul.jacob

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:12 pm Post

kewms wrote:I'd recommend updating to Scrivener 1.9.14, which fixes some potential causes of sluggishness.

Katherine

Thank you Katherine, updating to 1914 did the trick. Lag is now reduced to 2 seconds. Much obliged! :)

pa
paul.jacob

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:17 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:
paul.jacob wrote:Scrivener 1913 is starting slow and sluggish since yesterday. After I click on the icon, it takes about five seconds to open and when it does the menu buttons are missing and the type in the Binder and Editor is small. It takes 10-20 seconds for the menus to appear and the type to become normal size (according to my specs).

It would help your fellow users if you told them what your "specs" are: what version of Windows, what processor, RAM etc., also how big your project is, does it include images, etc.

Mark

By specs I meant font specs. I changed the fonts for the binder and the editor and increased the editor's magnification to 135%.
The size of the file I'm editing: 1.46 MB.
No images.

If you still want my specs:
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3520M CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2901 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.96 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.80 GB
Total Virtual Memory 15.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.4 GB
Page File Space 7.96 GBT

Anyway, Katherine suggested I update to 1914, and that reduced the lag considerably, under 2 seconds.

pa
paul.jacob

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:41 pm Post

JimRac wrote:And when was the last time you rebooted?

By rebooting do you mean restarting Scrivener or restarting the PC? If any of them would help to eliminate sluggishness, can you explain why?

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:56 pm Post

paul.jacob wrote:

By rebooting do you mean restarting Scrivener or restarting the PC? If any of them would help to eliminate sluggishness, can you explain why?
I meant rebooting the PC.

I suggested it because rebooting the PC is low-hanging fruit. If I had a dollar for every time a PC reboot cleared up slow programs or display issues or just general weirdness--well, I'd have quite a few dollars.

Particularly because I had no idea how many other programs you had running and for how long or the specs of your PC. I know folks who don't reboot for weeks. Windows can sometimes get gummed up after awhile, although Win10 is the best I've seen so far at avoiding that.

Anyway, glad the newer version solved your problem! :D

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

pa
paul.jacob

Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:27 pm Post

JimRac wrote:
paul.jacob wrote:

I meant rebooting the PC.

I suggested it because rebooting the PC is low-hanging fruit. If I had a dollar for every time a PC reboot cleared up slow programs or display issues or just general weirdness--well, I'd have quite a few dollars.

Particularly because I had no idea how many other programs you had running and for how long or the specs of your PC. I know folks who don't reboot for weeks. Windows can sometimes get gummed up after awhile, although Win10 is the best I've seen so far at avoiding that.

Anyway, glad the newer version solved your problem! :D

Best,
Jim

Thanks Jim. Apart from the apps that start automatically with Windows, I open just Scrivener, and occasionally Chrome to research something or find a synonym while I'm writing. I'm know how easily can Windows gum itself up, and I not only restrict myself to one or two open programs, but run CCleaner after I close a program to get rid of the leftovers. I also turn off the PC when I'm not using it. Often I restart just cause I can. While 'reboot' is synonymous with 'restart' I suspect there's more to it than that, and so I'm more comfortable with 'restart' simply because it's the word Windows uses under the shutdown menu.