unable to verify your activation for more then two months

Ru
Rubinstein
Platform: Windows

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:12 pm Post

Literature and Latte, what I don't quite understand:

Why didn't you send us Windows users a simple email with the info that you've discovered that something is wrong with the licensing system? "Here is the error that a lot of users are getting, if you haven't got it yet, you should expect it at some point. But don't panic, yada yada, there's enough time, just click on the window, etc."

Or even just a blog post about it?

And no, I don't think a forum is adequate for this kind of thing. There's info scattered all over the place about it. And it's too serious:

From another post: "I'm afraid I will lose all my work!"

You should really think about your communication strategy.

Ro
RosieJ
Platform: Win + iOS

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:25 pm Post

Hi, I am having the same issues, and have tried the solutions mentioned in this Forum. My worries are the same as many others - of losing hours and hours of valuable, irreplaceable work. Mind you, I could have 100 backups and still worry about losing all my work.
When can we expect a fix to this problem please? And where should we look for updates on this issue?

:(

ha
hazell2

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:10 pm Post

I'm a windows 10 user and I've had both issues starting today. The reactivation message and the activation server failure. Please could you email the windows community with a solution once you've got a fix - that would save checking this forum everyday which is a time drain when honestly I'd rather be writing. Best of luck with the fix - love Scrivener and understand hiccups happen. :D

St
Sternborg

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:41 pm Post

Scrivener_err.jpg
Scrivener_err.jpg (176.04 KiB) Viewed 519 times

Maybe this will help the devs...

kb
kbell1111

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:25 pm Post

Rubinstein wrote:Literature and Latte, what I don't quite understand:

Why didn't you send us Windows users a simple email with the info that you've discovered that something is wrong with the licensing system? "Here is the error that a lot of users are getting, if you haven't got it yet, you should expect it at some point. But don't panic, yada yada, there's enough time, just click on the window, etc."

Or even just a blog post about it?

And no, I don't think a forum is adequate for this kind of thing. There's info scattered all over the place about it. And it's too serious:

You should really think about your communication strategy.

THANK YOU!

This is my exact feeling on this. The only solution I have found in the forums a. the download file isn't working for me - just throws another error. and b. the additional instructions are vague and assume we have a certain technical knowledge for troubleshooting. I am a writer, not a software engineer, it's not in my wheelhouse, nor should it be my responsibility to figure out a hack/workaround the software issues- that's the product's responsibility.

And yes the fact that y'all are not remotely communicating the issue, and even completely ignoring support tickets/emails is literally the worst possible way to be handling this :\

The only response I have gotten so far is a non-support person, so just a random commenter, who made a condescending, unproductive comment about "have I even read the forums". :| ug.

We're getting an error threatening to lose all of our work - everyone here has a right to at least some sort of communication in that kind of circumstance.

Ta
TadeoBlanco

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:37 pm Post

kbell1111 wrote::

We're getting an error threatening to lose all of our work - everyone here has a right to at least some sort of communication in that kind of circumstance.

You’re not getting an error threatening your work. The documents are/will still be there. It going into trial mode has zero impact on the project files.

Frustrating, yes, but L&L do seem to be working on it, though does seem to be dragging on.

aj
ajbensonauthor

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:12 pm Post

MetalWings wrote:Same here: I get the "2 months" message intermittently, other than that Scrivener is largely behaving itself as it has done since... god, how long has it been? I used to bug-hunt in the original Windows beta! And other than those bugs, which I was there to help hunt down, I haven't had a single problem writing novel after novel.
(Incidentally, on the "intermittently" front, I think that so far it's happened on the first load of Scrivener following a reboot or shutdown, and no other time. Seems like the bug is tracked already so I don't suppose that's very helpful, but hey.)

Basically, Scrivener's been amazing and I've had no problems at all until now. I'm just worried that it will suddenly decide to revert to trial mode or begin to develop worse behaviour as some other users on this thread are seeing. Still... I've only been seeing this message for a week or so (presumably since two months after I installed the Paddle update), so there's not exactly a big rush. I do have an option to deactivate this install, but looking at everyone else's issues, I suspect trying to deactivate and reactivate would only leave me unable to use my license at all, so I'll hold on for the update and see if that deals with it. But all my books are in Scrivener at this point! I'd feel utterly lost without it!

Thanks a lot, Katherine, for the responses and updates. :)

I attempted to deactivate and reactivate, but it won't let me. Seemingly for the same reason it is having the automatic reactivation issue in the first place.

kb
kbell1111

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:23 pm Post

Astaff wrote:You’re not getting an error threatening your work. The documents are/will still be there. It going into trial mode has zero impact on the project files.

That isn't something that was clear or certain. I'm new to this product and have no idea what losing my license status would entail - that's not at all an unfounded worry. The complete radio silence from the support department is not helpful/comforting :( .

kewms
Platform: Mac

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:32 pm Post

The support department and developers have repeatedly said, including in this thread, that we are aware of the problem and are working on it.

Since part of the code in question is coming from our licensing service, actually fixing it involves a fair amount of back and forth with *their* support team, which is part of the reason why we aren't able to give a definitive date for an updated version.

As repeatedly noted, you are in no danger of losing your work. The program will revert to trial mode in the unlikely event that we haven't fixed this in two months, but our trial is full-featured and lasts for 30 days of actual use. In the even *more* unlikely event that we *still* haven't fixed it by then, it is possible to extract your work from a Scrivener project even with no access to Scrivener itself.

Thank you for your patience.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Sc
Scribhneoir

Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:55 pm Post

kewms wrote:The support department and developers have repeatedly said, including in this thread, that we are aware of the problem and are working on it.

It would be helpful if you would merge the half dozen or so threads on this topic, since official responses from L&L team members are scattered throughout the threads. I'm kind of tired of having to read all of them to find out if there's any new information on this problem.

The program will revert to trial mode in the unlikely event that we haven't fixed this in two months, but our trial is full-featured and lasts for 30 days of actual use. In the even *more* unlikely event that we *still* haven't fixed it by then, it is possible to extract your work from a Scrivener project even with no access to Scrivener itself.

I'm afraid I'm less sanguine than you about how "unlikely" it is that you won't be able to fix this in two more months. Given your track record on Windows coding time frames, I think I'll take all my work out of Scrivener now, before I'm thrust back into trial mode.

kewms

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:02 pm Post

All of the tools that are available to extract your work now will still be available in trial mode.

Your point about time frames is certainly understandable. The difference is that this is a very specific problem localized in a relatively small piece of code, not the development of significant new functionality.

The "official announcement" that the problem has been fixed will be the release of the updated version. You shouldn't expect any new information before that happens.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Ru
Rubinstein

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:06 pm Post

Scribhneoir wrote:It would be helpful if you would merge the half dozen or so threads on this topic, since official responses from L&L team members are scattered throughout the threads. I'm kind of tired of having to read all of them to find out if there's any new information on this problem.

I agree. I just don't understand why the company is dealing with the licensing problem in this way.

kewms

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:24 pm Post

Rubinstein wrote:
Scribhneoir wrote:It would be helpful if you would merge the half dozen or so threads on this topic, since official responses from L&L team members are scattered throughout the threads. I'm kind of tired of having to read all of them to find out if there's any new information on this problem.

I agree. I just don't understand why the company is dealing with the licensing problem in this way.

Because users keep creating new threads. Or adding on to existing threads without reading previous posts. Or both.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Ta
TadeoBlanco

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:39 pm Post

[quote="kewms"

Because users keep creating new threads. Or adding on to existing threads without reading previous posts. Or both.

Katherine[/quote]

C’mon Katherine, you’re supposed to follow us around with a Hoover (showing my English heritage) and clean up our messy, multiple threads . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ti
Tiff

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:17 pm Post

I have a massive concern about the trial mode not working at all once the validation fails. :( Normally trials do not work when validations expire. They aren't extended.

Losing work isn't the real fear. NOT being able to work is.