unable to verify your activation for more then two months

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:48 pm Post

whitehedge wrote:That said, what I've learned and experienced from this incident has prompted me to move to an alternative that eliminates the risk of being locked out in future.

If it makes you feel any better, the fix that was posted is a removal of the lock-out feature. That is no longer a thing in the Windows version, and it never has been a thing in the Mac version. I am sympathetic, and would understand if your trust has been broken though.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Li
LiaTelcontar
Platform: Windows

Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:13 am Post

Thanks for fixing that! I've installed the new version immediately and the problem seems to have been solved.

tr
treiter

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:34 pm Post

I have been using Scrivener for several years. I just updated to 1.9.16 and was immediately locked out of Scrivener for "Failure to Activate". I re-entered the license number and re-booted. Still locked out. Incredibly frustrating,..I have little time to write and when I do, I want to write and not get locked out of software I've paid for. What is the fix for this?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:05 pm Post

Sorry to hear you've run into something like that. I’d suggest getting in touch with tech support for specific issues with activation.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

tr
treiter

Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:09 pm Post

Yes, I have, no response. Very frustrating.

Fr
FraterFive

Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:17 am Post

Going to confirm that the latest update seems to have fixed it for me. I gave it a few days after the update and when I launched it today, no more message. Thanks!

Ke
KenTaiwan98

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:56 pm Post

I'm hopeful that the new version of the software I just installed puts an end to the issues I've been having for months. In the meantime, I've been using Google Drive to do my writing...

There are four things that I want to add to this conversation:

1. There are some excellent tips on how L&L should be addressing the issues, but L&: hasn't made it plain and obvious yet, for reasons unclear to me. The issues affecting users are numerous, frequent, repetitive, and persistent. Reaching out to customers with a simple email to alleviate our worries would have been a nice touch! But we trust them to get the job done!

2. Asking other people with the same issue to spend hours and hours reading through and trying to troubleshooting issues that are server based, not PC based is annoying because it only increases everyone's frustration when said 'fixes' are nothing more than smoke and mirrors. Tweaking settings may resolve one or two cases... but not the flood we have here. I doubt that tech support could really handle everyone if we all decided to complain. Fortunately, the forums have been quite helpful in signalling there is an Important Issue.

3. As someone who relied on expensive software that is no longer operable because another company's authentication server closed, I can tell you that companies & software come & go all the time. I'm lucky that I don't need that software to be authenticated right now, but shortly I will be unable to reinstall it on Windows 10. I trust that L&L wouldn't leave us quite so high and dry! The data is saved in regular formats... and you can do your own exports anyway.

4. Like many users here, we often feel the desire to write something on the computer... and as long as the computer dissipates into the background, we can focus on the writing. Too often recently, Scrivener has been getting in the way with the issues I previously highlighted. It would be wise to note that writers typically don't have enough time to write... tools that get in the way of what little time they have typically get short shrift.

I don't blame L&L for any of the problems they're having by any means. It's a wonderful tool... But it would be wise of them to pay attention to point #4. It's the kind of thing that can put a real dent in a company's reputation. Writers want to write novels, articles, blogs, books... not tech support requests!

Best Wishes & Happy Writing

Ba
Baree

Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:04 pm Post

I have not had time to write for several months and today I finally had a few hours to get on with it. Scrivener wanted to update so I let it and then it turned vicious on me. It wanted me to activate my license and then refused it telling me I needed to fiddle with the Transport Layer Security settings on my machine. It turns out , after a bit of googling, I need to go into Regedit to do this. I don't want to make changes at that level to accommodate software that has been working fine in its old version for years. I also have years of hard work bound up in Scrivener. I know I can get in and spend hours exporting and trying to make sense of the versions and structure. BUT REALLY?

I am furious that my day as been spoiled and I have spent it trying to sort out this problem rather than writing. I trusted this application and I have been going about recommending it. I feel quite foolish. The previous poster's warning #4 needs to be heeded. That was made back in November and this situation still persists. For shame!

Tw
Twolane

Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:06 pm Post

I got a similar request to activate once again, as well. The notices seem to be coming regularly now. I put in my email address and serial number and I was good to go.

Do you not have yours?

St
Sternborg

Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:37 am Post

I updated to the latest version, got asked to enter my license key again (annoying), found where I'd saved it, and so far Scrivener is working. Haven't touched it since my last posts, I think I was on the **.14 version before.

re
redwoodfey

Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:34 am Post

Scrivener just switched over to a trial version. I've been using Scrivener for many years without issue. Is a fix being released for this?

Ki
Kinsey
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri May 01, 2020 3:18 pm Post

As of Monday this week, every time I start up Scrivener I get a notice saying that my license is invalid and that Scrivener will now revert to trial mode. Which it promptly does by quitting. When I then restart, I have to re-enter my license info. Every time. I am using the latest version of WinScriv (1.9.16).

Other than keeping Scrivener up to date (and I thought 1.9.16 was supposed to solve the problem) is there anything else that I should be doing to prevent this message from happening?

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri May 01, 2020 5:01 pm Post

Hi Kinsey,

I'm not aware of any corrective actions you can take for this. As there hasn't been much input from L&L to this thread in a while, I'd suggest directly contacting support, if you haven't done so already. :(

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/bug-reporting

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Fri May 01, 2020 7:02 pm Post

Please contact support for licensing issues. For privacy reasons, we are not able to address them through the forum.
https://www.literatureandlatte.com/contact-us

There are no known *systemic* licensing issues with Win Scrivener 1.9.16. But we have seen some reports of issues in individual cases.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Ki
Kinsey
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri May 01, 2020 8:07 pm Post

Thanks for the input Jim and Katherine. Have opened a support ticket.