unable to verify your activation for more then two months

Li
LiaTelcontar
Platform: Windows

Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:15 pm Post

whitehedge wrote:
DavidR wrote:Given the length of this thread, and not meaning to be rude, but you might look back through a few pages to see what suggestions there are.

The best way to limit this thread would be a pinned informational post containing an explanation of the problem, current status, reassurance that people won't be left unable to use the software (I'm half way through my "revoked licence" trial period now, having started out pretty confident it would be resolved in a few days) and whatever advice applies for users to help themselves.
Yes, very true. It would be nice to hear that L&L are working on it and when we can expect a definite fix.

@Suzanar: unfortunately it seems all you can do is wait for them to fix the problem. You should still be able to use the software, even though the message pops up.

DavidR

Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:42 pm Post

whitehedge wrote:
DavidR wrote:Given the length of this thread, and not meaning to be rude, but you might look back through a few pages to see what suggestions there are.

The best way to limit this thread would be a pinned informational post containing an explanation of the problem, current status, reassurance that people won't be left unable to use the software (I'm half way through my "revoked licence" trial period now, having started out pretty confident it would be resolved in a few days) and whatever advice applies for users to help themselves.

Excellent idea! Maybe even a post pinned at the top of the Technical Support forum. With its title in all caps and, if possible, some flashing object next to it, since people (like me) often don't look at the pinned posts.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

Bi
Billingsgate

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:49 am Post

I just wasted half an hour of my life reading this entire thread in search of the solutions I was assured were to be found, but none such exist.

My setup:

Scrivener for Windows 1.9.15.0 - 13 Oct 2019
Windows 10 Home build 1903
No firewall issues

This same problem is now happening to me. It happened when I started Scrivener while my network was purposely turned off for distraction-free writing. It has certainly not been three months since I used Scrivener with the network on. The last time I used it, with full Internet access, was just three days ago.

My question is whether a geo-blocking issue is involved with the new authorization server. I am in Hong Kong. There are some paranoid companies which block access to IP addresses outside the USA, Canada, or UK, which is perhaps what the authorization server is doing. I wonder if others reporting this issue are also outside the USA/UK. No, I have not tried this with a VPN. Since the problem is not always reproducible, there is no way of knowing whether the IP address is the problem. But it's one of the first things I would have them check.

I must say how much I dislike any software that needs to regularly re-authorize itself--and that obviously includes Scrivener. Why can't you join the other 99 percent of computer programs and simply authorize the software ONCE, on first use, by placing a key in the Windows registry?

I have too much to lose if Scrivener becomes inoperable because of this bug you've been unable to fix. Just authorize our machines once and let us write without worry.

wh
whitehedge

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:56 am Post

Billingsgate wrote:I must say how much I dislike any software that needs to regularly re-authorize itself--and that obviously includes Scrivener. Why can't you join the other 99 percent of computer programs and simply authorize the software ONCE, on first use, by placing a key in the Windows registry?

I have too much to lose if Scrivener becomes inoperable because of this bug you've been unable to fix. Just authorize our machines once and let us write without worry.

I absolutely agree with this. Rolling activation only inconveniences paying customers. This version is approaching end of life in any case.

I've lost a lot of confidence in the weeks I've been watching my counter tick down -- 11 days left now. Reading the license agreement to learn about the parties' various obligations wasn't encouraging either.

Incidentally I'm in the UK, so I don't think it's geo-location. It was an interesting idea though. Anyway. I've just tried to register while connected to the USA by VPN and the behaviour was no different. Of course the license server could be blocking known VPN addresses too.

kytriya

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:35 pm Post

Billingsgate wrote:My question is whether a geo-blocking issue is involved with the new authorization server. I am in Hong Kong. There are .

The answer is no. All people in all regions are having this issue. I'm on the latest, and still issues.

--> Hey, IT department of Literature and Latte! What should be done! Keep the validation external, but it only has to use your personal servers and not a 3rd party disaster, one time only, and that validation triggers something Internally in the software that makes the program permanently validated. This should get around the stupid crackers/hackers. This should also solve the problem "what if all 3rd party validators go out of business" or "war prevents validation". And, should save you your customer base. If you do not do this, and we have this issue again (which still is not solved), then we will leave you. You will be known as a bad company, your A+ rating will become F- and you will go out of business. This is why using 3rd party validators just do NOT work! Thank you!

Thanks!

.ps How do we get around the Crackers/hackers faking validation and triggering that internal validation check illegally?
Have the external give the internal; a new code with special characters that do not exist in utf-8 that are 1. unreadable and unseeable to human eye, but your software can read both internally and externally and 2. Completes the password to make the software validated. Or, just have the external software give the internal software characters of utf-8 kind, that completes the password to make the software permanently validated. However, this doesn't really prevent the issue unless you can hide this part of the program well such that it is impossible to find by simply using a program.
signed someone who can't program, but does know a thing or two.
Thinker...Writer...GeekNerder with Random Brain Function Disorder :lol:

Ba
Babs

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:23 pm Post

Scrivener is generating another issue besides the activation problem. When I load up Scrivener, first I get the usual error message about the activation, and now Scrivener is "not responding" when I click on the the "recent button." I have to shutdown Scrivener through the Task Manager.

I have no idea if the app hangup has anything to do with the license issue. The "not responding" message appeared for the first time last week.

cl
clearskye

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:19 pm Post

My message says they've been unable to verify my activation for more than three months. Dear friends at literature and latte, when will this be fixed, or the 3 version come out?
Thanks so much!
Skye

wh
whitehedge

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:54 pm Post

clearskye wrote:when will ... the 3 version come out?
Thanks so much!
Skye

I wonder if v3 will use a similar server-based rolling authentication scheme and thus be vulnerable to the same problems down the line, I suspect so but I guess there's no way of knowing without an official statement.

kytriya

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:23 pm Post

whitehedge wrote:
clearskye wrote:when will ... the 3 version come out?
Thanks so much!
Skye

I wonder if v3 will use a similar server-based rolling authentication scheme and thus be vulnerable to the same problems down the line, I suspect so but I guess there's no way of knowing without an official statement.

LIke I posted earlier, if it has the same issues, they could lose their jobs because all of us who rely on this will be forced to move to competitor and we won't come back. They don't have anyway of supporting RTL and LTR in the same row anyway. That alone makes me leery of staying with them.

Bottom line though: Authors who publish professionally, will go with the best software that works for the most places they publish without fear of losing all that hard work they did and without fear of not being able to publish due to formatting issues caused by "free trial version" vs. "pro version".
Thinker...Writer...GeekNerder with Random Brain Function Disorder :lol:

Pr
Prometheus

Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:48 pm Post

I had the "cannot validate yadda yadda" last year (maybe year before last?). Nothing suggested by support worked. That machine died a rather inglorious death, and was replaced by a new machine (Win 10) and Scrivener WinV1.x has been working. Had been working - it is now doing the same validation error routine as has been reported. How long this has been an issue, I don't know, as I've been using each successive beta of WinV3 for awhile now, and hadn't needed to go back into V1.x until today. I removed it and reinstalled from the latest, and nada. This isn't a huge deal for me, since I'm just plowing along with WinV3beta, but it does cause me some concern about this sort of thing happening if/when the general release of WinV3 is done.

Li
LiaTelcontar

Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:19 pm Post

I've not had the message for three consecutive days now, so either I'm just lucky or the licence server is working better. Fingers crossed the problem won't come back!

wh
whitehedge

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:45 am Post

LiaTelcontar wrote:I've not had the message for three consecutive days now, so either I'm just lucky or the licence server is working better. Fingers crossed the problem won't come back!

I still get it every day, 7 days left now. Looking into fully-ownable alternatives to avoid the possibility of a hiatus next week (or a repetition next year, for that matter).

Li
LiaTelcontar

Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:16 am Post

whitehedge wrote:
LiaTelcontar wrote:I've not had the message for three consecutive days now, so either I'm just lucky or the licence server is working better. Fingers crossed the problem won't come back!

I still get it every day, 7 days left now. Looking into fully-ownable alternatives to avoid the possibility of a hiatus next week (or a repetition next year, for that matter).
I've spoken too soon - the message is back :(

er
erict

Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:31 pm Post

Hate to join in but I've started to get the 3 x 3 message again.

I am going to trust you will sort this, but as I have both writing and university work in Scrivener, this is getting concerning.

Echoing others, I've paid for the software. I don't think it is correct to threaten to disable it.

I've sung your praises so many times in so many writing forums. Please don't let me down like this.

Regards

Eric

cm
cmmcgee_writer92

Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:34 pm Post

Just started getting this message today. It's telling me it hasn't been able to verify for three months and after 6 months it will revert to trial mode. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper. Here's hoping we get a solid fix soon. This sort of issue is exactly why I was leery of purchasing Scrivener in the first place and why I kept resisting the peer pressure I was getting from others in my writing group to just bite the bullet and purchase the program. After reading through the thread and some of the issues people have had with this error, I'm beginning to regret giving into that pressure and feeling a bit like it could turn out to be a complete waste of money. These sorts of issues are the ones that demand refunds, especially when it gets to a point where we're going on 3 months without a fix and the problem persists and gets worse, and when/if it gets to a point where people are losing all the hard work they've done as a result of that problem. Then, your program becomes not only a waste of money, but also a waste of time. I'm not trying to be rude, these are just facts. An issue like this that also threatens the risk of people losing their work, on a program that they have paid for (especially considering that for some of us... or possibly many, that price tag wasn't exactly "cheap"), that persists for months like this with no solution in sight is, quite simply, nothing short of unprofessional.