unable to verify your activation for more then two months

kewms
Platform: Mac

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:08 pm Post

The new installer released today supersedes all previous versions, including the upthread Dropbox link. Please reinstall that, and restart your system.

Do you still see the error?

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Am
AmyLee
Platform: Windows

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:16 pm Post

kewms wrote:The new installer released today supersedes all previous versions, including the upthread Dropbox link. Please reinstall that, and restart your system.

Do you still see the error?

Katherine

Sorry, Where do I get the new insallation? Is it from the main website or on this forum?

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:17 pm Post

The new update, 1.9.0.14, is the latest and greatest and supercedes the single un-signed .exe file they put out last week, so applying that file against 1.9.0.14 is probably a step backwards.

However, the error message suggests that something else might be corrupted. I suggest that you need to completely uninstall Scrivener and reboot. Make sure that no copies of Scrivener show up at all in the Program and Features control panel applet (or the Applications list if you're on Windows 10); if any are there, remove them.

Then after a clean reboot, re-download 1.9.0.14 and install it again as Admin. Unless you have some corrupted registry entries that aren't getting cleared up, that should help.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

devinganger

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:21 pm Post

AmyLee wrote:Sorry, Where do I get the new insallation? Is it from the main website or on this forum?

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/down ... taller.exe

It's the "Download free trial" link from the main website. When you download it, if you right-click on the file and select the Properties window, it should look like this on the Details tab:

scrivener-1-9-0-14-versioncheck.jpg
scrivener-1-9-0-14-versioncheck.jpg (43.04 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

Am
AmyLee

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:32 pm Post

devinganger wrote:
AmyLee wrote:Sorry, Where do I get the new insallation? Is it from the main website or on this forum?

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/down ... taller.exe

It's the "Download free trial" link from the main website. When you download it, if you right-click on the file and select the Properties window, it should look like this on the Details tab:

scrivener-1-9-0-14-versioncheck.jpg

It has opened but wants my license code. I've had Scrivener for many years and have no idea what that code is. Do I need to call somewhere to look it up or something?

devinganger

Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:20 am Post

Start here:

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/lost ... e-recovery

If that doesn't work you'll need to contact support through email.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

mith
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:47 am Post

Installing the "Trial" executable from the main website (version 1.9.14.0) worked for me! I just installed it, started Scrivener, and it just worked. The long delay when starting Scrivener has gone away and no more pop-up about a missing license. I didn't have to re-enter any code or restart my computer. My help menu shows that my installation activated (by evidence of the "Deactivate Scrivener" menu item). Thank you!

ch
charoit

Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:39 pm Post

devinganger wrote:Start here:

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/lost ... e-recovery

If that doesn't work you'll need to contact support through email.

This really helped to solve my login problem which started with 2 months error but somehow, when I tried to add my license number turned into "your trial period is expired" so I couldn't use Scrivener at all. Funny enough, I did store my license info in Dropbox file, the paddler just didn't seem to recognize the installation number. But receiving my license number through email seemed to satisfy the login monster, and I'm happily reinstated into my Scrivener's rights. Thank you so much for the help!

devinganger

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:44 pm Post

charoit wrote:But receiving my license number through email seemed to satisfy the login monster, and I'm happily reinstated into my Scrivener's rights. Thank you so much for the help!

Sorry it was a bumpy road, but glad you made it through!
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

Al
Allie

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:30 am Post

I have been using Scrivener successfully for many years and have just been prompted to update Scrivener, which I have done and installed it. Now when I open my latest project I'm being presented with a message saying:
Scrivener does not have a valid activation.
Scrivener's activation is no longer valid. This may because the order has been returned, because the license has been blacklisted, or because it was deactivated remotely.
Scrivener will now revert to trial mode.

What the hell do I do now?

kewms
Platform: Mac

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:33 am Post

Make sure you have the latest version, which is 1.9.14, released September 17.

Make sure you have the latest version of .NET.

If you still have the problem, open a support ticket, here:
https://www.literatureandlatte.com/contact-us

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

DavidR

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:20 pm Post

Katherine, jumping in to ask how I can find out what version of .NET I have (I can't seem to find it in Control Panel).
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

devinganger

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:02 pm Post

Finding out which versions of .NET framework you have installed:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet ... -installed
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

ce
cecilebol

Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:10 am Post

Seriously, is this a joke? The hotfix that was launched last week seemed to fix the problem, but now I get the message that the program hasn't connected with the license system for 3 months and will roll back into trial mode after 6 months. This is almost hilarious.

Edit: added a screenshot to prove I'm not joking.

scrivener-license-3-6-month.jpg
scrivener-license-3-6-month.jpg (422.57 KiB) Viewed 771 times

DavidR

Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:47 pm Post

devinganger wrote:Finding out which versions of .NET framework you have installed:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet ... -installed

Thanks for this. Unfortunately, what I gather from it is that Scrivener users--most of whom are writers with only average skill and interest in operating system innards--have to honk around in the registry to find out if they have the right .NET. And if they don't (or at least if it seems to them from their registry-honking that they don't), what then? How do they/we go about updating .NET?

I realize that the whole account activation sideshow has been a nightmare for Scrivener staff, at the worst possible moment in the long-extended v. 3 development cycle. But I'm hanging on to my perfectly functional 1.9.9 as long as it continues to run, until v. 3 is released. And then maybe a few weeks after that, to make sure the hot mess that is Paddle is working right.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?