unable to verify your activation for more then two months

Li
LiaTelcontar
Platform: Windows

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:20 pm Post

@Scrivener Support: Is there any news on this issue? I opened a support ticket, but haven't heard back, so I thought I'd ask here. The message still pops up regularly and though I can close it and use Scrivener, I worry that one day my luck will run out and I'll be locked out.

Is there a working fix finally coming? Any date for it? It would be nice to know that at least somebody is working on it.

bo
boss281

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:23 pm Post

I wonder what the differences might be. When the last fix was uploaded for us to install, I did so on both my Windows laptops. Neither has exhibited the problem since. Both Windows 10, latest updates, etc.

ph
philjaq
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:29 pm Post

Just to help keep this thread near the top of the blog list where it can be seen easily because at least 2 more new threads have been started on this subject. On one of these, a user has posted advising against installing the latest fix (which as far as I know is 1.9.15.0 of 13th October).

I installed 1.9.15.0 on 18th October and so far it is running normally, although slightly slower to fire up than I remember. I don't start Scrivener every day at present but I must have made probably 6 starts since installing it.

I remain hopeful that 1.9.15.0 has fixed the issue for me although I note that others have had recurrent failures.

Li
LiaTelcontar

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:51 pm Post

I installed 1.9.15.0 when it was released and it did work for me for a while. However, after about a week the message started popping up again.

Al
Alexander C

Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:05 am Post

The last update is still working for me - and I start Scrivener at least once every day. Keeping fingers crossed it has worked permanently!

wh
whitehedge

Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:14 am Post

Alexander C wrote:The last update is still working for me - and I start Scrivener at least once every day. Keeping fingers crossed it has worked permanently!

For me, also on the latest update, the Buy Now option is grayed out and reads "Buy Now... (Searching for License Server)". When I put in my code it accepts it but also never reaches the License Server, I can see this because the Deactivate option is then grayed out. In your case, it looks like you don't have this access problem.

It's concerning that LL is taking rather a long time to get to grips with an issue I expected to be resolved in a few days after I contacted support. Still, it has made me realize that I'm essentially leasing Scrivener, instead of having purchased a permanent license as I'd previously believed.

ST
STForstner

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:41 am Post

I installed both emergency patches. They both worked for a couple of days and then stopped. I'm thinking this is an intermittent problem for me. Yesterday the message popped up. Tonight, however, no message. Someday it appears and some days is doesn't. I

Th
Thanatos0042

Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:08 pm Post

I am running the lastest rendition - .15

and I have had the registration issue still pop up and in addition, Scrivener will now randomly lock up and crash on me.

It doesn't save whatever I have recently typed in either, though it will have it saved if it's been 5 or 10 minutes.

I wasn't experiencing the random crashing in the .13 release.

Ke
KenTaiwan98

Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:09 am Post

I'm now having the same issue intermittently. I just updated windows to the last version of Windows 10.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... -framework

Then I got the error message for the first time after the update (it worked before that). I'm not going to open a ticket. I don't see any point after 14 pages of errors in this thread. I'm running a bog standard version of Windows 10, no special settings other than using bog standard Windows defender settings. There is no obvious reason that makes my install different from the vast majority of other installs. I also have very long start up times and crashes on loading occasionally, and so on. None of these issues used to be the case.

With my internet connection already on, the PC already connected, I launched the program. I think the issue lies at L&L's server authentication or activation authentication level. Perhaps it's experiencing delays in processing. Certainly that would be consistent with the sheer volume of issues that you're seeing.

I'm not wild about using software that depends on server level authentication to start the program up, and defaults to trial mode when it can't connect properly, especially when those reasons that are not within my control. I realize that you've made those choices for your own business reasons.

Perhaps it is time to review the authentication procedure, esp. the hardware that it depends on. Otherwise the thread will not stop at 14 pages of feedback. (edit: actually there are at least four more threads that show this issue, too).

Ken

DavidR

Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:49 pm Post

KenTaiwan98 wrote:I'm not wild about using software that depends on server level authentication to start the program up, and defaults to trial mode when it can't connect properly, especially when those reasons that are not within my control. I realize that you've made those choices for your own business reasons.

Perhaps it is time to review the authentication procedure, esp. the hardware that it depends on. Otherwise the thread will not stop at 14 pages of feedback. (edit: actually there are at least four more threads that show this issue, too).

Ken

Ken, somewhere back in those 14 pages (and the numerous other threads on this), it's been indicated that this issue arose when the authentication server Literature & Latte had been using abruptly went out of business. That service had worked seamlessly, AFAIK, for years. They had to scramble to find a new service, and it's had all these problems.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

me
metteius

Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:28 pm Post

Sigh. I installed the most recent update yesterday in order to be ready for NaNoWriMo, and today the error message popped up again.

Error: Licence Engine broken connection: Could not establish connection to the Licence server. Please try again.

Ma
Major Major

Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:36 pm Post

If this doesn't seem wildly obvious, perhaps L&L should seek a different authentification service.

su
suzannar

Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:21 pm Post

I updated my Scrivener to Version: 1.9.15.0 - 13 Oct 2019 for Windows 10. However, now it says it is unlicensed (though I technically own two licenses for for Windows and one for Mac).

I am unable to put in my license or activate.

Now, all my files are set to the trial version.

Please advise.

DavidR

Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:33 pm Post

suzannar wrote:I updated my Scrivener to Version: 1.9.15.0 - 13 Oct 2019 for Windows 10. However, now it says it is unlicensed (though I technically own two licenses for for Windows and one for Mac).

I am unable to put in my license or activate.

Now, all my files are set to the trial version.

Please advise.

Given the length of this thread, and not meaning to be rude, but you might look back through a few pages to see what suggestions there are. Obviously, this has happened a lot since L&L was forced to switch license-authentication services after their old one went out of business. The new one kind of ... inhales, deeply and persistently, it would seem.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

wh
whitehedge

Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:53 pm Post

DavidR wrote:Given the length of this thread, and not meaning to be rude, but you might look back through a few pages to see what suggestions there are.

The best way to limit this thread would be a pinned informational post containing an explanation of the problem, current status, reassurance that people won't be left unable to use the software (I'm half way through my "revoked licence" trial period now, having started out pretty confident it would be resolved in a few days) and whatever advice applies for users to help themselves.