Scrivener V3 for Windows release date

st
stephenbugden
Platform: Windows

Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:52 am Post

Hello,

Can I please ask if Scrivener version 3 for WIndows will be released today?

I can't see any announcement in the forums and the download link doesn't indicate v3 either:
https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener/download
but the release date at the time of writing is today (30th August 2019):
https://www.literatureandlatte.com/intr ... crivener-3

Best Regards,

Steve

krastev

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:32 pm Post

no
Krastev
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.16.0
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

SCN

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:34 pm Post

Personally, I'm perfectly happy with the current version of Scrivener for Windows, so it's no big deal if it's released today, tomorrow, or whenever. That said, it would be nice to have the latest version 3 for Windows once it does come out, in case there's anything useful there that will help me with my writing project. The day isn't over, so maybe I'll check back a little later. 8)
Last edited by SCN on Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm writing my first novel, employing the Save the Cat beats and the Snowflake method.

St
StarDog2

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:59 pm Post

SCN wrote:Personally, I"m perfectly happy with the current version of Scrivener for Windows, so it's no big deal if it's released today, tomorrow, or whenever. That said, it would be nice to have the latest version 3 for Windows once it does come out, in case there's anything useful there that will help me with my writing project. The day isn't over, so maybe I'll check back a little later. 8)

I'm not "perfectly" happy, but I am content to wait a bit longer if necessary. From what I understand of the developer's comments, this was a major rewrite in a new development environment which should make subsequent versions much easier to implement and release. If that is true, the learning curve was quite steep and probably involved a lot of 'do-overs' of some features both new and existing.

V1.9 is . . . competent. It isn't like I am doing without. I'd rather have it 'right' than have it 'fast'.

SCN

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:22 pm Post

StarDog wrote:
V1.9 is . . . competent. It isn't like I am doing without. I'd rather have it 'right' than have it 'fast'.

You said it better than did I. I think the good folks at LL have set expectations for a release today, so I'm rooting for them. But if they need more time to get it right, well, I'll happily continue to use the prior version.
I'm writing my first novel, employing the Save the Cat beats and the Snowflake method.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:07 pm Post

Latest status here: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=40621

Release has been delayed.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

SCN

Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:22 pm Post

kewms wrote:Latest status here: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=40621

Release has been delayed.

Katherine

Yep, A few weeks, I see. I'm sure the software will be excellent.

st
stephenbugden

Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:58 pm Post

Thank you for the information Katherine.
Thank you too to comments from SCN and StarDog2.

SCN, esp. thank you for your reply but I am curious how you determined a few more weeks. If I scroll to the bottom of:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=40621

For 28th August it just says:
Beta 22, version 2.9.0.22 RC2 has been posted.

SCN

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:13 pm Post

Stephen, there was a posting there that mentioned it was delayed a few more weeks, but the posting is no longer there, I see. Also, at https://www.literatureandlatte.com/intr ... crivener-3, there is this reference:

We expect to release Scrivener 3 for Windows later in 2019.

Note: This page was updated on 30th August 2019 with a revised estimated release date.

The words "later in 2019" are linked to https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=40621&p=242064.

I think it's wise for the developer to avoid making any more release date promises. All that does is set, then dash, expectations and give LL a self-inflicted black eye.

SCN

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:25 pm Post

Oh, wait. Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=40621&p=242064

Quoting:

Producing high utility and high quality software is what we're about. I know some folks will not like what I'm saying, all I can say is that we are doing our best to release as soon as makes sense with our wider community being top of mind. I personally take accountability for not hitting the 31st August 2019 date. I do believe we are a matter of a few weeks away now - I'm certainly not talking months.

st
stephenbugden

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:57 pm Post

Hi SCN,

Thank you for your replies.

I wouldn't have thought of looking there because the date of that post is MON NOV 20, 2017 8:22 PM.
I was looking at the latest post at the bottom of the page.

Well done for spotting it.

I emailed support who also told me a few weeks.

I hope version 3 will blow the current version away, I have trouble creating tables and resizing them for example

Best Regards,

Steve

iv
ivanpope

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:41 pm Post

I'm not 'perfectly happy' with the current Scriivener for Windows, but like everyone else, I'm happy to wait for the new version to be done properly. Scrivener versions are always late - remember the heroic struggle to get the iOS version out the door!

st
stephenbugden

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:25 pm Post

I think I'd be happier if expectations were set correctly.
I've been keeping an eye on this page for months:
https://www.literatureandlatte.com/intr ... crivener-3
It gave the release date as 30th August (since the previous delay) until yesterday presumably in response to my post.

Though I agree, we've all managed our whole lives without Scrivener 3 for Windows so a few more weeks won't hurt :-)

Steve

Tw
Twolane

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:55 pm Post

@SCN: I noticed your tag "I'm writing my first novel, employing the Save the Cat beats and the Snowflake method." and wanted to mention another excellent book on structure by Jessica Brody, called "Save The Cat! Writes A Novel". She uses Blake Snyder's books and fleshes out the beats much better, in my humble opinion.

Be
Berylac

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:54 am Post

Glad to see that the release will be made in a matter of weeks!

Looking forward to the new sleek overhaul. Good job team!