Scrivner 1.9.10 Key

bw
bwhm
Platform: Windows

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:13 pm Post

OK after a few hours of unnecessary drama, over a couple of days, it appears I have finally been able to properly update Scrivner for Windows. After a reboot or two, I was able to install/run the downgraded version however the old licensing mechanism didn't work of course.

In a last ditch effort, I updated Microsoft .NET to the latest version, which is 4.8. I had thought the latest Scrivner release was supposed to be compatible with older versions of .NET, and I had only been running 4.7.2 which is one version earlier. But after installing 4.8, rebooting, then running Scrivener-installer.exe downloaded from the website, all seems to be good. I'm running 1.19.12.0, although I was never prompted for a serial number so hopefully all is well. Whew.

bwhm wrote:Unfortunately the hotfix release for Windows from July 1st is still messed up. When I tried to install it on my laptop, after being prompted to do so, I received the same error message as before noting that the license check failed and I should email support. Upon clicking through that, I received another message stating that this computer needed to be verified via Paddle--and clicking though that led to a confirmation that registration was successful with Paddle. However, Scrivner then crashed/became unresponsive, and I had to kill the process. And whenever I try to restart the software, it again becomes unresponsive after which time I have to kill it.

I tried downgrading to Scrivener 1.9.9 once again, but after the install Scrivner remains unresponsive and I have to kill the process. So basically this software no longer works on my laptop. I'm not sure what's going on, but clearly you guys need to do much more thorough testing before you release an update. Ridiculous!

bwhm wrote:Confirming the licensing mechanism for Windows version 1.9.10 is broken, I get the same error as others posting here. I had to downgrade to Scrivener 1.9.9 in order to get the software to work (a re-entry of the license was required). Glad this worked as it would have really screwed up the only writing night I have this week!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:36 am Post

Glad to hear you got things sorted. I may have run into something similar once in testing, but after I cleared the problem with a typical uninstall-reboot-reinstall cycle, I couldn’t get it to happen again. Hopefully your notes help anyone else that runs into it.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

EM
EMPisek

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:34 pm Post

Just to let you know, updated to the newer version 1.9.12 and had no problems with the registration key this time. Looking forward to when the newer version is finalized from beta.

Thanks to all the people working on this.
:arrow: I'm not just a tester,.. I'm a user :!:

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:44 pm Post

EMPisek wrote:Just to let you know, updated to the newer version 1.9.12 and had no problems with the registration key this time.
Same here. My first attempt was with 1.9.12 and it was smooth. Scrivener never asked for regi info.
I’m just a customer.

ji
jimjams

Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:48 am Post

Updating to 1.9.12 solved the issue. I would be happy if customer care had replied to my help request, instead I had to came here and read the solution from other users posts. Very disappointed.

bw
bwhm

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:00 pm Post

Unfortunately problems persist with 1.9.12 and my laptop. After firing up the computer, more often than not, Scrivener hangs when I first run the software. Sometimes reinstalling Scrivener then rebooting the laptop returns things to normal, but only temporarily. Best as I can tell, it hangs at the stage when I'm assuming it's checking online for the license. But if it's already registered on this computer, there is zero reason why it should have to check again. What a pain in the ass this software has become, I wish I could downgrade back to the version that still worked.

bwhm wrote:OK after a few hours of unnecessary drama, over a couple of days, it appears I have finally been able to properly update Scrivner for Windows. After a reboot or two, I was able to install/run the downgraded version however the old licensing mechanism didn't work of course.

In a last ditch effort, I updated Microsoft .NET to the latest version, which is 4.8. I had thought the latest Scrivner release was supposed to be compatible with older versions of .NET, and I had only been running 4.7.2 which is one version earlier. But after installing 4.8, rebooting, then running Scrivener-installer.exe downloaded from the website, all seems to be good. I'm running 1.19.12.0, although I was never prompted for a serial number so hopefully all is well. Whew.

bwhm wrote:Unfortunately the hotfix release for Windows from July 1st is still messed up. When I tried to install it on my laptop, after being prompted to do so, I received the same error message as before noting that the license check failed and I should email support. Upon clicking through that, I received another message stating that this computer needed to be verified via Paddle--and clicking though that led to a confirmation that registration was successful with Paddle. However, Scrivner then crashed/became unresponsive, and I had to kill the process. And whenever I try to restart the software, it again becomes unresponsive after which time I have to kill it.

I tried downgrading to Scrivener 1.9.9 once again, but after the install Scrivner remains unresponsive and I have to kill the process. So basically this software no longer works on my laptop. I'm not sure what's going on, but clearly you guys need to do much more thorough testing before you release an update. Ridiculous!

bwhm wrote:Confirming the licensing mechanism for Windows version 1.9.10 is broken, I get the same error as others posting here. I had to downgrade to Scrivener 1.9.9 in order to get the software to work (a re-entry of the license was required). Glad this worked as it would have really screwed up the only writing night I have this week!

ds
dscapuano
Platform: Linux

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:09 pm Post

I am running Scrivener with Wine on Linux Mint 19.1. I had the same issue with 1.9.10. I entered my Registration Number and got an error "2" that a file was not found. I sent request for help and have not received a reply. Since this was holding me up, I uninstalled Scrivener 1.9.10 and reinstalled 1.9.7.0.

Initially, I thought that the problem was running with Wine. I have not had problems with Wine recently, but I have in the past.

When I cranked up Scrivener 1.9.7, It did not ask be for the Registration Number and does not show that I am running the trial version.

There is clearly a bug in the newest version and it is not related to running under Wine.

Dave Capuano
Brunswick, Maine, USA

ts
tswalker
Platform: Linux

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:00 am Post

Hi ds,
Tech Support tipped me off to a post from someone else (Sorry, I don't have the info with me) and the solution for those of us running under Wine is to install dotnet4.5.
Once I installed that, updating and activating worked perfectly.
Hope this helps.
TSWalker

dw
dwolden

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:16 pm Post

I got a different PC and installed Scrivener on it but I couldn't activate because I lost my serial number and had to go to the Lost Licence Recovery page where I submitted 2 different email addresses. Each time I got the "No orders could be found for this email address" message for each of them, so I tried an old email address this time I got a "We've sent details of your past transactions, licenses and downloads to you via email." message. The problem is that I no longer have that email address. I contacted support about it and asked them to send the info to my current email address but got no response. I waited a week and then contacted sales and didn't get any resolution from them either, in the form of no response. Has anyone else had this problem.

If I don't get any response soon, I'm going to take my frustrations public on social media. I'm sure they'll love that. :(

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:30 am Post

Did you make sure to check your junk email folder to ensure you're not treating their replies as junk?
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:32 pm Post

Indeed, checking our records, we responded to both of your queries within 24 hours of receipt of them.

A link to this thread seems appropriate.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

bw
bwhm

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:56 pm Post

Well the latest "fix" from July 26th hasn't resolved the issue on the laptop, which still continually hangs when first running Scrivner. Enough of this hassle. Thank God it still works on my desktop, so there's absolutely no way I'll be updating this current version anymore. When the next major Windows version comes out, which I believe is version 3, they should offer it as a free upgrade to all current Windows users as a means to make up for forcing us to update to a version that doesn't work. What an embarrassment for the company.

bwhm wrote:Unfortunately problems persist with 1.9.12 and my laptop. After firing up the computer, more often than not, Scrivener hangs when I first run the software. Sometimes reinstalling Scrivener then rebooting the laptop returns things to normal, but only temporarily. Best as I can tell, it hangs at the stage when I'm assuming it's checking online for the license. But if it's already registered on this computer, there is zero reason why it should have to check again. What a pain in the ass this software has become, I wish I could downgrade back to the version that still worked.

bwhm wrote:OK after a few hours of unnecessary drama, over a couple of days, it appears I have finally been able to properly update Scrivner for Windows. After a reboot or two, I was able to install/run the downgraded version however the old licensing mechanism didn't work of course.