In a last ditch effort, I updated Microsoft .NET to the latest version, which is 4.8. I had thought the latest Scrivner release was supposed to be compatible with older versions of .NET, and I had only been running 4.7.2 which is one version earlier. But after installing 4.8, rebooting, then running Scrivener-installer.exe downloaded from the website, all seems to be good. I'm running 184.108.40.206, although I was never prompted for a serial number so hopefully all is well. Whew.
bwhm wrote:Unfortunately the hotfix release for Windows from July 1st is still messed up. When I tried to install it on my laptop, after being prompted to do so, I received the same error message as before noting that the license check failed and I should email support. Upon clicking through that, I received another message stating that this computer needed to be verified via Paddle--and clicking though that led to a confirmation that registration was successful with Paddle. However, Scrivner then crashed/became unresponsive, and I had to kill the process. And whenever I try to restart the software, it again becomes unresponsive after which time I have to kill it.
I tried downgrading to Scrivener 1.9.9 once again, but after the install Scrivner remains unresponsive and I have to kill the process. So basically this software no longer works on my laptop. I'm not sure what's going on, but clearly you guys need to do much more thorough testing before you release an update. Ridiculous!bwhm wrote:Confirming the licensing mechanism for Windows version 1.9.10 is broken, I get the same error as others posting here. I had to downgrade to Scrivener 1.9.9 in order to get the software to work (a re-entry of the license was required). Glad this worked as it would have really screwed up the only writing night I have this week!