Link to a External Document.

pe
perezbalen
Platform: Windows

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:54 pm Post

Is there a way to link (not import) an external document into a scrivener project?

This is what I want to do, and I want to know if it’s possible.

Let’s say I have a book series. I’m currently writing book 3. I put at the end, a page with hyperlinks to all books in the series, and another with the author’s biography.

Then I write book 4, which is a new scrivener (.scriv) project. The list of four books in the series has now 4 entries, and I have updated the author’s biography (maybe now I use twitter). So, I want to also update these pages on book 3 (and book 2, and book 1), so I can compile updated versions of those books and put them on amazon, or whatever.

I don’t want to manually change every book every time; rather have the book list and author’s biography on one single place, and have each scrivener project call it every time it’s needed.

Is this possible?

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:18 pm Post

I don't think there's a way to do that, either with the current release for windows, or even with version 3 (in beta). But what can be done in version 3 is for you to move all your books into one project. The Draft folder would have one folder per book, and Front & Back matter folders arranged similarly.

Your "other books in the series" document would then use a new feature available in v3: the <$include:Other Books> style tag, which would be part or all of the contents of each book's respective document. The actual file named "Other Books" in your binder (located anywhere in the project) would then be edited for new content, and the compiled output would reflect that file's text.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

st
steveshank
Platform: Windows

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:11 am Post

Sure. Just link to a webpage you maintain with whatever you want on it.