What is the best program for all purpose writing? Grammarly? Scrivener?

it
itnithand

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:48 am Post

I write articles and product descriptions for industry sites. I have written articles and reviews for gaming sites and music review sites. I would love to finally start writing that novel.

What is the best program out there right now?

Primarily, I will be writing daily 1,200 word articles. But I would also like to use the program for long form stories.

Grammarly looks interesting. Seems to correct punctuation, offers synonyms and advice - but it is a subscription and I would like to justify the cost of that.

Scrivener seems to have a huge learning curve, but I have not given it much time yet and am not sure what I am up against.

What say you?
Last edited by itnithand on Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:29 pm Post

As a Scrivener aficionado, responding to a post on a Scrivener forum on a site run by the company that produces Scrivener, which is a program designed with long-form writing in mind...

Notepad, I guess? :P

Whether Scrivener is the right tool for you is really hard for anyone else to answer. It works for me and thousands of other people around the world. It's put to various uses, including writing articles and blog posts, though I'd say that's done primarily by those who have a lot of research materials, or who first used it for long-form writing.

For me, the organization of the draft and supporting materials, including character and location dossiers, the synopses, and the cork board and outline overviews are what did it for me. I immediately took to it. That was version 1 for Mac.

If you are inclined to get started on a project that will take more than... let's say six months to complete a first draft, I'd suggest you just get on the Beta bandwagon now. There are some fundamental modifications to how Scrivener does things like the Compile function that assembles all your scenes and chapters into a manuscript, so it's best to just start with what will become the upgrade this year*.

There's very little to fix in the beta with regard to the composition of text within Scrivener, though the compile function still has a few switches and knobs that aren't hooked up, so to speak. The biggest down-side is that the manual isn't completed yet, but the tutorial project is, and it also points out what has yet to be fixed or implemented in the beta. The full details on the beta (along with download link) are here: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=40621

* Note that nobody has guaranteed this timeline. As a customer who frequents this forum, and who is fiddling with the Windows v3 beta, it's my opinion that the beta will conclude by this summer. But that's just an opinion based on monitoring the forums for the better part of a decade... not from any insider knowledge.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:36 pm Post

Grammarly is not a writing program, it checks the grammar and spelling in your writing when you are using an app for writing.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

St
StarDog2
Platform: Windows

Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:48 pm Post

This smells a "tiny" bit troll-ish but assuming this is a well-meant question, I will answer it.

For 'general purpose writing with no caveats, It's still MS Office - Word. For general "authorship" type writing and writing project management, I would say Scrivener is the best overall. I say this, primarily because, as far as I know, Scrivener is the only writing app for authors that offers themes that allow you to set up defaults for different types of writing.

There are other software titles that are good, VERY Good, but in general, they tend to be designed for specific types of writing. And while they might be able to be set up differently, they don't really allow the user to save them into themes. So each writing effort starts with the built-in default.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:08 pm Post

Okay, I'm admittedly biased. But I use Scrivener for everything except email and grocery lists. And I've considered it for email. Adopted it when the first Intel Macs came out, and haven't looked back.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

wi
wickiup

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:52 pm Post

itnithand wrote:I write articles and product descriptions for industry sites. I have written articles and reviews for gaming sites and music review sites. I would love to finally start writing that novel.

What is the best program out there right now?

Primarily, I will be writing daily 1,200 word articles. But I would also like to use the program for long form stories.

Grammarly looks interesting. Seems to correct punctuation, offers synonyms and advice - but it is a subscription and I would like to justify the cost of that.

Scrivener seems to have a huge learning curve, but I have not given it much time yet and am not sure what I am up against.

What say you?

Get Scrivener 30 day trial and use it for the 30 days.
Try each of a few of the many freebies and even some high dollar choices on trial for a few weeks.
As you try these make a list of items, actions and tasks they lack.
Compare yiour list to what Scrivener offers.
Buy Scrivener and get to work.
(Even grocery lists become a pleasure.)

st
steveshank

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:28 pm Post

I think if you go to a Scrivener site, where scrivener users hang out, you'll find that they like Scrivener. I use it for my writing, similar to yours, and a lot of other stuff. Grammarly is entirely different. It is a grammar checker, not a composing program as has been said.

After I chose Scrivener and was using it, I decided I wanted also a program like Grammarly and checked out a few of them. Grammarly is very good and very expensive and is not compatible with Scrivener, or other RTF software. If you are rich and use MS Word and not Scrivener, it is a good option.

I chose ProWritingAid for that purpose. Not completely perfectly compatible with Scrivener but it works. It improves my writing and I find it useful. In Scrivener you make a sync folder and sync a writing project to it. Then it will sync on exit. You then use ProWritingAid to edit the synced rtf documents so you are not working directly on Scrivener files with another program. When done and saved with ProWritingAid, restart scrivener and it will re-sync and input all the changes that were made. Works fine. Not as good as if it was really part of Scrivener and really integrated with it, but well enough. Also it is much much less expensive than Grammarly.

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:15 am Post

Despite the fact this is a Scrivener site, I'm not ashamed to say I use OneNote for my grocery lists.
I’m just a customer.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:23 am Post

I sometimes use Pages...
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Am
Amcmo

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:58 am Post

And I use MarsEdit for blog posts (Used to use Ulysses but abandoned them the day they went subscription)
Notes for shopping lists, Things for projects, Pages and Numbers as needed, but for most of the rest Scrivener!

Did anyone really expect any other answer in here? :lol: