Is Literature & Latte trying to force us to Mac's?

wi
wickiup
Platform: Windows

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:42 pm Post

Didn't think a message was necessary but need one to submit.

St
StarDog2

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:01 am Post

No, I don't think so. It's hard to port a software product to a new computer system. Especially so if the original program uses features and functionality of the first OS that doesn't exist, or which work differently, in the second OS. The developers spend a LOT of time testing, fixing, testing until they are thoroughly sick of the whole thing.

I can name a couple of primarily Windows software publishers who really struggle with their Mac versions.

wi
wickiup

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:58 pm Post

Hmm, just wondering.
Have hung in here for quite some time and listened to quite a bit of rhetoric along the way. Would certainly not wish to realize it is for naught.

Thanks

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:06 pm Post

wickiup wrote:Would certainly not wish to realize it is for naught.Thanks

There are only two ways that I can think of that it would be for naught: 1) If L&L decided to trash the Win v3 version, walk away from further Windows development, and become an Apple-only platform. 2) L&L just keeps working on the Beta and *never* releases Win v3. Do you honestly believe either of these scenarios is a possibility?

Posts like yours always take me by surprise. My assumption is that we are all adults here, but then a post like this comes along that sounds like it has given no more thought to the situation than the little kid in the back seat crying "Are we there yet?"

Have you somehow missed the fact that they've released *10* beta versions, each with increasing levels of functionality and features? Have you somehow missed the fact that the current beta has nearly all of the promised new features and that L&L's primary focus seems to be bug stomping?

What are you thinking? That's a sincere question, as I'm sure in your own mind you believe you are behaving quite rationally. But I just don't see it.
I’m just a customer.

wi
wickiup

Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:12 am Post

Oh, I realize all that bit plus my post was, in part, somewhat tongue-in-cheek.
I help a small group of older aspiring writers of the windows persuasion. One by one they are throwing their hands up and just buying Apple equipment so they can settle into the program and concentrate on their writing.

I will stay with windows equipment due to other work demands.
Soooo, will keep on keepin' on in the belief it will resolve itself in it's own good time.

Thanks

Jim

Fr
FredBob

Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:43 am Post

The windows' market is bigger than apple's. There is no other program like Scrivener.

Ra
Rayz
Platform: Mac

Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:00 pm Post

The apostrophe in the title is wreaking havoc with my OCD.
As if I didn't talk enough: Dom on Writing

St
StarDog2

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:53 pm Post

Rayz wrote:The apostrophe in the title is wreaking havoc with my OCD.

LOL! I was able to overlook that until you pointed it out! This forum needs a way to +1 a post!

This just proves that writers are not grammarians.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:12 am Post

If we're going to insist on that level of accuracy, merely wishing small details to be correct is *not* OCD.

OCD is a debilitating condition that has many symptoms, and trivializing it to the point of "you used an apostrophe incorrectly" causes pain for people who really do suffer from the real thing, whether you intend it to or not.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

pa
papatango

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:13 am Post

Devin, you must be a hoot on 75 meters... 8)

devinganger

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:19 am Post

papatango wrote:Devin, you must be a hoot on 75 meters... 8)

A lot of people think I'm a hoot from a lot closer, but your kilometerage may vary.
--
Devin L. Ganger

Ra
Rayz

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:58 pm Post

devinganger wrote:

If we're going to insist on that level of accuracy, merely wishing small details to be correct is *not* OCD.

OCD is a debilitating condition that has many symptoms, and trivializing it to the point of "you used an apostrophe incorrectly" causes pain for people who really do suffer from the real thing, whether you intend it to or not.

If you choose to be offended by an off-the-cuff remark, then perhaps the internet isn't the place for you.

Just a thought.

rdale

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:28 pm Post

"Be polite" is the rule of these forums: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=40997

We do sometimes stray from that rule when things get heated, but this isn't "the internet." This is a privately run forum, where it's absolutely acceptable to ask that people not use disabilities, genetic traits, or other aspects that are out of the control of individuals as insults, even if those insults are self-descriptive.

If you can't be polite to people who might be silently bearing yet another signal that they're not welcome here, then maybe this forum isn't the place for you.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

devinganger

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:09 am Post

Rayz wrote:
devinganger wrote:OCD is a debilitating condition that has many symptoms, and trivializing it to the point of "you used an apostrophe incorrectly" causes pain for people who really do suffer from the real thing, whether you intend it to or not.

If you choose to be offended by an off-the-cuff remark, then perhaps the internet isn't the place for you.

I am always surprised that people see or hear commentary that is meant to help reduce the level of friction people cause each other and choose to interpret it as taking offense.

Rayz wrote:Just a thought.

No, it was thoughtless, as was the original comment (although that ones seems to be unintentionally so). Having an actual thought doesn't take much time or energy, is usually pretty painless, and can make things a little bit more kind for others. Why is that so bad? Who taught you to confuse virtue with being insenstive to others, and why did you believe them?
--
Devin L. Ganger

Ra
Rayz

Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:07 am Post

devinganger wrote:
Rayz wrote:
devinganger wrote:OCD is a debilitating condition that has many symptoms, and trivializing it to the point of "you used an apostrophe incorrectly" causes pain for people who really do suffer from the real thing, whether you intend it to or not.

I am always surprised that people see or hear commentary that is meant to help reduce the level of friction people cause each other and choose to interpret it as taking offense.

Rayz wrote:Just a thought.

No, it was thoughtless, as was the original comment (although that ones seems to be unintentionally so). Having an actual thought doesn't take much time or energy, is usually pretty painless, and can make things a little bit more kind for others. Why is that so bad? Who taught you to confuse virtue with being insenstive to others, and why did you believe them?

Well, that certainly was an interesting collection of words. :roll:

Nope, the comment was not checked for possible offence, because if every comment, every word in a book, every blog post, news article was curtailed because it might offend or upset someone then I'm pretty sure nothing would ever get written.

You are entitled to have a problem with the comment, of course. And if you think it's so offensive then feel free to request the moderators to remove it and have me banned or burned at the stake or whatever else floats your boat. Bu all I'm seeing here is your desire to project your precious sensibilities, and that really is just about you.

But have a Happy New Year all the same.