Scrivener 3 Windows Release

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri May 31, 2019 8:05 pm Post

To be fair, I don’t think DaveK’s question of when has been answered, nor will it be in the beta forum. That’s not something we do. Some companies make public deadlines and then publish no matter what state the software is in. Others make soft deadlines and then miss them (because you always will) and suffer the backlash (we tried that once, never again!). Then there are those like ours that don’t publish a release date and work until the software is ready.

Our method isn’t very “marketing friendly” (i.e. “modern”), and it doesn’t really make anyone happy either, but we like to think it means we code to predictable quality, not calendar dates or Christmas rushes, or spreadsheet analysis of sales rates, etc. If that makes you uneasy, well there isn’t anything I can say that would fix that; I could only suggest you look at our track record. We do get the job done, even if it takes a good long while.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

St
StarDog2
Platform: Windows

Fri May 31, 2019 8:51 pm Post

AmberV wrote:To be fair, I don’t think DaveK’s question of when has been answered, nor will it be in the beta forum. That’s not something we do. Some companies make public deadlines and then publish no matter what state the software is in. Others make soft deadlines and then miss them (because you always will) and suffer the backlash (we tried that once, never again!). Then there are those like ours that don’t publish a release date and work until the software is ready.

I, for one, and good with this approach. Having worked in government software development. Where software is released ON TIME regardless of quality, completeness, or even, sometimes, the developer's full understanding of what is being developed. I know what damage excreable software can do to government services, citizen satisfaction, and even the developer's reputation. Having also worked in commercial software development I also know that slow and RIGHT is preferable to fast and incompetent.

It's not like the current commercial version of Scrivener for Windows is unusable. It's still better than many of its competitors.

st
steveshank

Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:58 am Post

DavidK asked:
anyone out there trying/testing/using the latest beta have any comments about how stable it feels and whether they are using it for 'serious' work?

Yes. I moved a single not essential project over at Beta 10, thinking it seemed (from hanging out in the Beta forum) to be pretty stable for what I needed. I have since moved EVERYTHING over, including all critical work. I understand that parts of the compiler are missing and that lists don't work right. But, I compile to PDF and oddly, text, and both work fine. I use Scrivener daily. It has never crashed.

I am bugged that bulleted lists don't work right as I am a bullet list kind of person. But I have multiple critical business dependent projects and the Beta is rock solid for my needs.

I was happy with Scrivener 1.9x, but am even happier with the Beta.

Besides bulleted and numbered lists not working right, the only problem I have with it is that the final isn't out. I wrote an article for my Newsletter extolling its virtues last December, and don't feel like I can publish until the actual release version. Also, I'll probably have figured out more stuff and have to entirely rewrite the article.

Da
DaveK

Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:55 pm Post

@ Katherine. You are correct of course. I got sidetracked because my original query was about when V3 might appear and I got sidetracked by the Beta comments;

@devinganger: Genuinely ... thank you for your constructive advice. :)

@both: again my thanks for your patience and advice ... I'm now off to go Beta hunting. :D

Le
Leakimka

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:14 am Post

Hi everyone,

I just downloaded Scrivener for Windows (1.9.9.0) and discovered the gap between Windows and MacOS version when watching tutorials on YT.
If I understand correctly what is said both on L&L website and in this forum, the Windows version should be released during Q2 2019...so, 28 days left! :wink:

However, something remains unclear for me in the following sentence from the website:
"The great news is that if you buy Scrivener 1 for Windows now, you’ll get a free update to version 3 when it’s available. (Existing users of Scrivener 1 will be able to purchase Scrivener 3 for the discounted price of $25 when the time comes.)"

So, now that I'm going to use the trial version of the app for 30 days and probably going to buy it by the end of this period, what will I be considered when the new version will be released? An existing user (and pay 25$ more)? Or a new one (and get it for free)?

Thanks in advance for your clarification!

Leakimka

Co
Collider

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:22 am Post

Leakimka wrote:So, now that I'm going to use the trial version of the app for 30 days and probably going to buy it by the end of this period, what will I be considered when the new version will be released? An existing user (and pay 25$ more)? Or a new one (and get it for free)?

Hi! As far as I understand it, if you're downloading and buying the product now, you'd count as a new user and will get the new version for free when it's released. The 'existing user' discount applies to users who have had the software for a substantial amount of time already.

Hope that clarifies! :)

kewms
Platform: Mac

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:56 pm Post

Leakimka wrote:However, something remains unclear for me in the following sentence from the website:
"The great news is that if you buy Scrivener 1 for Windows now, you’ll get a free update to version 3 when it’s available. (Existing users of Scrivener 1 will be able to purchase Scrivener 3 for the discounted price of $25 when the time comes.)"

"New" or "existing" Windows Scrivener users as of the Mac Scrivener 3 release, which was November 2017.

So yes, anyone who buys Windows Scrivener 1 now will get Windows Scrivener 3 for free.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Be
Beobuck

Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:53 pm Post

The suspense is intense: which will be released first, Scrivener 3 for Windows, or Trump's tax returns?

wi
wickiup

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:20 pm Post

Beobuck wrote:The suspense is intense: which will be released first, Scrivener 3 for Windows, or Trump's tax returns?

Or, perhaps even MacOS 4 or 4.5.
Suspenseful for sure...

Hu
Huskey

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:56 am Post

Please devs and support team, don't listen to the few drolls swirling around the otherwise very friendly and tight forum. I am very happy to use the beta version which helps me tremenduously in my daily work. Please take your time developing the software. Rushed jobs only result in mistakes, disappointment and extra work. I'll be here when your Scrivener 3 will be released no matter when that is. I love the software. Thank you. Now back to my writing.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:40 am Post

Thanks for the kind words, Huskey! :D
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

wi
wickiup

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:18 pm Post

Huskey wrote:Please devs and support team, don't listen to the few drolls swirling around the otherwise very friendly and tight forum. I am very happy to use the beta version which helps me tremenduously in my daily work. Please take your time developing the software. Rushed jobs only result in mistakes, disappointment and extra work. I'll be here when your Scrivener 3 will be released no matter when that is. I love the software. Thank you. Now back to my writing.

:wink:

Al
Alien714

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:48 pm Post

Is this still planned for a release before July, as it is still stated in your product page?

Tw
Twolane

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:41 pm Post

Is this still planned for a release before July, as it is still stated in your product page?

Judging by your name choice, ALIEN714, I'd say it's obvious that you've been away for more than a while. Don't despair, however. There are myriad posts on these forums concerning the much-anticipated release date of Scrivener 3 for Windows. A comment in each one should get your post tally up to, oh, say, 10 or 12. Perhaps more.

I will say there's more interest in this subject than there is in the latest Windows beta and how well it performs.

Sc
Scribhneoir

Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:55 pm Post

Scribhneoir wrote:I'm not bitter, exactly. Not yet. I will be when Q2 2019 comes and goes with no 3.0 release, but only another round of excuses and justifications for why Win 3.0 will take another 3 months ... 6 months ... a year... My new prediction is that Mac 3.2 will be released in Q2 2019, again before Win 3.0.

So, here we are at the end of Q2.

No Windows 3.0 release? Check.

Mac Q2 upgrade? Check. Plus the bonus of a Mac upgrade in Q1, too.

Another round of excuses and justifications ? Check.
https://www.literatureandlatte.com/blog ... rses-mouth

An actual honest-to-God release on August 30? We'll see. Quite frankly, I've stopped believing anything L&L says.