Dropbox to use Scrivener on two computers

Sk
Skylarken
Platform: Windows

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:52 pm Post

(I understand that this is an old subject, but I can't find the answer and since English is my second language it's exhausting to search for it.)

I use Scrivener on Windows and want to be able to open my project on two different computers. I read dropbox was the solution, but I can't seem to make it work. I can only open my binder, but there's no content, no text. I can see that this saves seperately in their own files, but I can't open them all together.

Losing my mind here :cry:

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:15 pm Post

If both PCs are logged in to the same Drpbox account and both have the Drpbox app installed, both PCs will have a folder in Explorer named Dropbox, in which you will find the project ready to be opened with Open.. in the File menu (provided you wait for the DB app to sync everything between each PC and the DB server before you shut down a PC or open the project on one of them).
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Jot
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:57 pm Post

This is the way I do it and (touch wood) I've never had an issue:

Always Keep Dropbox paused (or turned off) by default while using Scrivener!

On PC1, open Dropbox and sync (make sure the syncing is complete!) and once complete, close Dropbox (or pause)
Open Scrivener and your project. Write, write, write.
When you're finished writing on PC1, close the project (and preferably Scrivener) and sync to Dropbox.
Turn off Dropbox once sync complete (important!)

To use PC2, open Dropbox and sync (make sure the syncing is complete!) and once complete, close Dropbox (or pause)
Open Scrivener and your project should be there waiting for you.
When you're finished writing on PC2, close the project (and preferably Scrivener) and sync to Dropbox.
Turn off Dropbox once sync complete (important!)

In other words, keep Dropbox turned off (or paused) while writing. Sync when Scrivener is closed.
J

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:25 pm Post

I never pause the Dropbox App on any of my computers, but then I never use Scrivener simultaneously on two devices, and I always close the project before leaving a device.

It's all a question of being sufficiently lazy and patient: Write, wait, close project, wait, wait, put the device to sleep – wake the other device, wait, start Scrivener, open project, write...
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:39 am Post

lunk wrote:I never pause the Dropbox App on any of my computers, but then I never use Scrivener simultaneously on two devices, and I always close the project before leaving a device.

This. The key is to make sure only one device with Scrivener is writing to Dropbox at a time. Opening, editing, and closing Scrivener is a much easier habit to build and enforce than making sure that Dropbox is paused on all device but the one that you are working on at any given time.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot