newest windows update doesn't work

User avatar
tiho_d
Posts: 1150
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:14 pm
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:55 pm Post

@Jestar: I agree that having a distinct version number would have been best. Unfortunately we had other reasons which prevented us from doing so. v1.9.8.1 is a beta version signature and we can not use it, v1.9.9.0 is the last update number available which we want to keep for releasing together with Scrivener for Windows v3, and we do not want to jump to v2.0.0.0. Hope you get the dilemma now, and understand we could not change the update number so easily.

Edited: Something also very important I missed is that using v1.9.10.0 is not an option as some old versions might get issues comparing against 19100 which is a digit longer than expected and might be still compared as being v1.9.1.0 unfortunately. We do plan fixing this in future releases though.
Last edited by tiho_d on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tiho_d
Posts: 1150
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:14 pm
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:12 pm Post

@mfjames: The Scrivener font parser is great but not perfect. We try do protect ourselves against crashes, but sometimes it is impossible, either because the font author has not fully followed the font specification, or because our font parser does not fully follow the font specification. We do our best but no matter how hard we try, we occasionally receive "broken" fonts. Obviously the Microsoft font parser is much more sophisticated and handles the font author issues more gracefully. Also in Scrivener we need the font PostScript name, which is typically not needed and not used in many other applications. As it is not needed, the other applications' font parsers are much less likely to crash, as they are not parsing what Scrivener does. We need the PostScript font names to keep proper syncing of fonts between iOS and Windows. Unfortunately Apple did not left us any other option, and Scrivener for Windows had to "suffer" with the extra implementation burden to keep the Scrivener users happy.
Previously in v1.9.7.0 we would silently skip these problematic fonts. In v1.9.8.0 we decided to let the user know(at least once upon startup) about the font causing a problem, or the user would be wandering why my iOS font does not appear under my Scrivener for Windows.
Hope it makes more sense, now. We are truly sorry for the mess up with v1.9.8.0, but this was all caused by our desire to improve and make Scrivener faster. Unfortunately sometimes we cannot cover all user cases and you feel the pain. We feel it too, and try to make Scrivener great again as fast as possible. Thank You for staying with us guys and for all the help resolving the issue!

Sc
Scribhneoir
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:43 am
Platform: Windows

Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:28 pm Post

tiho_d wrote: . . . .we want to keep for releasing together with Scrivener for Windows v3, and we do not want to jump to v2.0.0.0.


So there is still a plan for releasing Scriv 3 for us Windows users? It's been so long since the Mac users got theirs that I figured we were just out of luck, especially when I saw the free upgrade to 1.9.8. (And luckily I didn't see that offer until after it was fixed!)

User avatar
tiho_d
Posts: 1150
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:14 pm
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:33 pm Post

@Scribhneoir: Scrivener for Windows v3 is in a Beta testing stage and can be downloaded from the Beta testing forum : viewforum.php?f=57

Br
BruceOrl
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:54 am
Platform: Windows

Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:02 am Post

Just had the first opportunity to update to the new install and it's working perfectly. Had another bad font message at the first start up -- but none since,

It seems to opens a little faster than 1.9.7 now, but that could just be me. I never could tell time.

Nice job on the quick turnaround. That must have been fun.

-B

User avatar
Jestar
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:51 pm
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:05 am Post

tiho_d wrote:@Jestar: I agree that having a distinct version number would have been best. Unfortunately we had other reasons which prevented us from doing so. v1.9.8.1 is a beta version signature and we can not use it, v1.9.9.0 is the last update number available which we want to keep for releasing together with Scrivener for Windows v3, and we do not want to jump to v2.0.0.0. Hope you get the dilemma now, and understand we could not change the update number so easily.


Understood.
Win 10 Ent. 64-Bit 1909
Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3,4 GHz (Quadcore) 32 GB RAM
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
NVIDIA Quadro K600
Scrivener Version: Version: 1.9.16.0 - 14 Nov 2019 & Version: 2.9.9.6 Beta (937253) 64-bit - 26 May 2020

Jm
Jmo
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:34 am
Platform: Windows

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:49 am Post

I installed the 6/12 update and noticed the load time takes a very long time.

Then, I also noticed there was another update ... to the 6/12 update ... dated 6/16. However, when I go to Scrivener to check updates it says I have the most current version.

Not sure what is going on here... But, there doesn't seem to be a way to update the 6/12 1.9.8 update to the 6/16 1.9.8 update.

Sc
Scribhneoir
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:43 am
Platform: Windows

Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:56 am Post

tiho_d wrote:@Scribhneoir: Scrivener for Windows v3 is in a Beta testing stage and can be downloaded from the Beta testing forum : viewforum.php?f=57


Thanks, but I'm not interested in the Beta version. Any word on when v3 for Windows will be out of Beta?

User avatar
Tanith
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:19 pm
Platform: Windows

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:27 am Post

Jmo wrote:I installed the 6/12 update and noticed the load time takes a very long time.

Then, I also noticed there was another update ... to the 6/12 update ... dated 6/16. However, when I go to Scrivener to check updates it says I have the most current version.

Not sure what is going on here... But, there doesn't seem to be a way to update the 6/12 1.9.8 update to the 6/16 1.9.8 update.


Welcome! Here is the fix, from MM's post on the previous page:

Hi all,

We've put up a new version of 1.9.8 which should fix the slowdown and freezing that some people are experiencing. Please clear your browser cache (or use a second browser), then download the new installer. You can install this over your existing installation or do a completely fresh install by uninstalling the previous version first.

The date for this version of 1.9.8 and the installer is 15 June (you'll see this in Help > About Scrivener, or if you check properties on the Scrivener.exe or the installer and view Details).

This version also fixes the the menu/shortcut for promoting items (moving left) in the binder.

Please note that if the font parser in Scrivener encounters a corrupt font on the system, it can crash Scrivener during the startup process. If you experience this--Scrivener seems to start launching, then stops (the 'wait" icon disappears, Scrivener vanishes from Task Manager), just launch Scrivener again. You should this time see a message indicating that the font which caused it to crash will be ignored for subsequent launches, and Scrivener will continue opening as normal. (You'll only see that message about the font the first time.)

Please install the new version and let us know if that gets Scrivener running more swiftly again! Thanks to everyone who reported and helped us track down the trouble, and to all of you for your patience as we've worked to resolve it.


This has worked for myself and others here, hopefully it will for you as well.
Image

User avatar
xiamenese
Posts: 4265
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am
Platform: Mac
Location: London or Exeter, UK.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:51 pm Post

Perhaps the important point from MM's instructions is:
Hi all,

We've put up a new version of 1.9.8 which should fix the slowdown and freezing that some people are experiencing. Please clear your browser cache (or use a second browser), then download the new installer. You can install this over your existing installation or do a completely fresh install by uninstalling the previous version first.

<snip>


:)
Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Ji
JimRac
Posts: 1534
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:06 pm
Platform: Win + iOS

Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:39 pm Post

Scribhneoir wrote:
tiho_d wrote:@Scribhneoir: Scrivener for Windows v3 is in a Beta testing stage and can be downloaded from the Beta testing forum : https://www.literatureandlatte.com/web/ ... m.php?f=57


Thanks, but I'm not interested in the Beta version. Any word on when v3 for Windows will be out of Beta?

L&L's goal/hope is Win v3 released sometime this year.
I’m just a customer.

ST
STForstner
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:36 am
Platform: Windows

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:15 am Post

I just installed the hot patch and opened and closed the software several times. On the first start I had an error message that said a font could not be loaded and would be ignored. The software started up almost immediately afterward. I closed Scrivener again, then reopened and closed several more times, and it started fine every time. I think it might actually be opening faster than the 1.9.7 version did. Also, I only had an error message on the first attempt to open the software and after that it has opened without any error messages.

User avatar
lindastrawn
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:01 pm
Platform: Windows
Contact:

Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:24 pm Post

I installed the update and got the same message about moving my project out of the installation folder. A search doesn't show a folder by that name so I"m not sure how to move it. Some suggestion in this thread say to uninstall Scrivener. If I do this and attempt to install it again, will my projects remain intact? Will I need my license number (which I don't seem to have now)? I attempted to open a back up file which only gave me another message indicating I can't access the file. Probably due to my failed attempt at trying to move one of my project files out of the appdata folder (couldn't find it anywhere else.) So frustrating. Hoping someone here would give me some guidance. Thanks =)

gl
glaedr
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:35 pm
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:12 pm Post

Interesting. I've had the same not-loading issue for... wow. Two years and eight days, now. And as far as I can tell, this was the first attempt at a patch? I'm glad some of you got a quick response and a resolution, but I'd still quite like to know why a thread back then with even more people in it with the same issue was left sitting there for so long.

Unfortunately, the patch didn't fix mine, so I've rolled back. Again. :(