Scrivener 3 (Windows)

Ke
Kekerusey
Platform: Windows

Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:01 pm Post

Hi,

I am keen to upgrade to Scrivener 3 but I’d like to confirm that upgrading from Scrivener 1 (bought a couple of years back) will cost me a $25 upgrade fee.

EDIT: Ah! There is no version 3 for Windows ... is that right?

Thx

James

br
brookter
Platform: Mac

Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:32 pm Post

Yes, at the moment Version 3 is for the Mac only. The Windows Version 3 is still in beta, but it is hoped that it will be released this year. If you look at the Windows Beta forum you can download the beta — but it's still relatively early and not all the functions are working yet, so you probably won't want to use it for production work.

When the beta is released, it will be a paid upgrade.

HTH.

ew
ewong

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:27 am Post

brookter wrote:Yes, at the moment Version 3 is for the Mac only. The Windows Version 3 is still in beta, but it is hoped that it will be released this year. If you look at the Windows Beta forum you can download the beta — but it's still relatively early and not all the functions are working yet, so you probably won't want to use it for production work.

HTH.

Thanks for the clarification. I was keen as well to get buy the update version (I think I'm still on 1.x .. not entirely
sure) and went to the store. I see the "Upgrade to 3.x on macOSX" when macOSX was selected, but when I
selected the Windows platform, no "Upgrade.." link was found. Now I know.

Assuming I have 1.x, should I upgrade to 2.x and then upgrade to 3.x, or should I just wait for 3.x?

Thanks

Ed

br
brookter

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:09 am Post

Ed,

There isn't a Version 2 for Windows — the current version is V1.

Basically, Scrivener started life as a Mac program: it wasn't converted to Windows until about five years later, and because of the tools available on Windows at the time, it was always behind the Mac version in features, so there wasn't a Windows Version 2.

As I understand it, the new version for Windows (the one in Beta) will have feature parity with the Mac Version 3, so it will also be called Version 3 to make that point clear.

In the meantime, you should use Version 1.9.

HTH.

Ke
Kekerusey

Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:38 pm Post

brookter wrote:Yes, at the moment Version 3 is for the Mac only. The Windows Version 3 is still in beta, but it is hoped that it will be released this year. If you look at the Windows Beta forum you can download the beta — but it's still relatively early and not all the functions are working yet, so you probably won't want to use it for production work.

HTH.

Thx for clarifying :)

Keke

tt
tthapar
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue May 01, 2018 5:45 pm Post

I have Scrivener 3 on my mac computer. Literature and Latte's website has said that users should refrain from testing out the beta if they're working with important files. Since I have Scrivener 3 on my Mac, will my projects be safe if I use the Scrivener 3 beta on Windows?

Ma
Major Major

Tue May 01, 2018 8:00 pm Post

You kind of answered your own question, unless there's a part of "users should refrain from testing out the beta if they're working with important files" you don't understand. :D

kewms

Tue May 01, 2018 11:55 pm Post

tthapar wrote:I have Scrivener 3 on my mac computer. Literature and Latte's website has said that users should refrain from testing out the beta if they're working with important files. Since I have Scrivener 3 on my Mac, will my projects be safe if I use the Scrivener 3 beta on Windows?

Your projects will be safe up until the point of the last version saved (and backed up!) by Scrivener 3 Mac. Any work done with Scrivener 3 Windows (BETA) is entirely at your own risk.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

mi
misschinandlerbong

Thu May 03, 2018 4:19 am Post

Hi! I downloaded Scrivener around this time last year and I currently have 9 days left on my trial version.

I'm thinking about buying the program now, If I purchase it now, would I get Scrivener 3 for free when it comes out as mentioned here? Or, because I downloaded and started using the program last year, would that mean I have to pay for Scrivener 3 when it comes?
(I'd just like to make sure as I'd rather wait for 3 since I can only purchase once as USD conversion is really high).

Thank you!

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu May 03, 2018 7:11 am Post

misschinandlerbong wrote:Hi! I downloaded Scrivener around this time last year and I currently have 9 days left on my trial version.

I'm thinking about buying the program now, If I purchase it now, would I get Scrivener 3 for free when it comes out as mentioned here? Or, because I downloaded and started using the program last year, would that mean I have to pay for Scrivener 3 when it comes?
(I'd just like to make sure as I'd rather wait for 3 since I can only purchase once as USD conversion is really high).

Thank you!

The clock starts ticking from when you make the purchase, not from when you download the trial. If you purchase the software tomorrow, that's within the window L&L has said you're eligible for the free upgrade. You should not have to worry.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes