How can one add a bookmark / link to a piece of text?

Bi
Biff
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:59 am
Platform: Windows

Wed May 31, 2017 7:42 am Post

How can one add a bookmark / link to a piece of text (not to an item in the binder)?
Windows 10, 64bit

User avatar
DavidR
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:21 am
Platform: Windows

Wed May 31, 2017 7:56 pm Post

At least as far as Scrivener links are concerned, this is not currently possible. It has often been requested. I'm not sure whether or not it will be present in the much-anticipated Scrivener for Windows version 3.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

Bi
Biff
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:59 am
Platform: Windows

Wed May 31, 2017 8:33 pm Post

Thank you David,

Actually I would say there is no link in that title. Sometimes titles are underlined sometimes they are not, do not know why.

Hmmm, such a basic formatting not possible? Actually I would think....alright, so I will just leave it.

Many thanks again
Windows 10, 64bit

Online
User avatar
kewms
Posts: 5445
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac

Wed May 31, 2017 10:42 pm Post

Remember that an item in the Binder can be as granular as you like, down to a single sentence or paragraph. So linking to individual paragraphs within a document adds significant complexity without really introducing new functionality.

To link to a paragraph, you have to give it an identifier of some kind. Otherwise Scrivener has no way to find it. But once you give it an identifier, why not just make it a Binder item?

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

li
liz
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:40 pm
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:54 am Post

kewms wrote:To link to a paragraph, you have to give it an identifier of some kind. Otherwise Scrivener has no way to find it. But once you give it an identifier, why not just make it a Binder item?


Because you want to be able to easily find the specific reference within a document without splitting it into multiple documents. OneNote, to give just one example, does this.

Online
User avatar
kewms
Posts: 5445
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac

Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:19 am Post

But what's wrong with splitting it up?

Scrivener is designed around the idea of assembling discrete chunks of writing into a complete and coherent whole.

OneNote is a different program, designed for a different purpose.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Bi
Biff
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:59 am
Platform: Windows

Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:49 am Post

Thank you Katherine.

Remember that an item in the Binder can be as granular as you like, down to a single sentence or paragraph. So linking to individual paragraphs within a document adds significant complexity without really introducing new functionality.

I am not quite sure whether I understand it correctly. Do you mean to just (partially) change the structure of a story / screenplay the story / screenplay needs to get a link to a piece of text and get a structure the story / screenplay does not need / want?

But once you give it an identifier, why not just make it a Binder item?

Well, actually I didn't want to have e.g. sentences (or paragraphs) / a piece of text being alone in a Binder item (to get that functionallity) with a different formatting / with spaces (where no space should be), paragraphs (when separating a sentence) I do not want, a dashed line, etc.

Or am I missing anything?

Thanks again
Windows 10, 64bit

li
liz
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:40 pm
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:01 pm Post

kewms wrote:But what's wrong with splitting it up?
Scrivener is designed around the idea of assembling discrete chunks of writing into a complete and coherent whole.

But those boundaries of those discrete chunks should make logical sense for the writer and not be dictated by the limitations of the software.
For example, I am using Scrivener for mathematics. I don't want to split the proof of a theorem up into discrete chunks for the sole purpose of referencing some bit in the middle from some other document.

User avatar
DavidR
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:21 am
Platform: Windows

Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:26 pm Post

liz wrote:
kewms wrote:But what's wrong with splitting it up?
Scrivener is designed around the idea of assembling discrete chunks of writing into a complete and coherent whole.

But those boundaries of those discrete chunks should make logical sense for the writer and not be dictated by the limitations of the software.
For example, I am using Scrivener for mathematics. I don't want to split the proof of a theorem up into discrete chunks for the sole purpose of referencing some bit in the middle from some other document.

I have to say that I agree with liz on this one. Of course, it might involve more complexity in programming than the result would be worth; I don't know. But it would be nice to be able to link to a specific sentence or paragraph within a document from another document. "What's wrong with splitting it up" is that the document itself may already have coherence; and the linked material has context when it is part of an entire document, not an isolated bit in the binder.

Perhaps this just has to do with some people using Scrivener differently than others; or with creating nonfiction working differently than creating fiction. But there are good reasons for wanting to do this.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

Online
User avatar
kewms
Posts: 5445
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:03 pm Post

DavidR wrote:I have to say that I agree with liz on this one. Of course, it might involve more complexity in programming than the result would be worth; I don't know. But it would be nice to be able to link to a specific sentence or paragraph within a document from another document. "What's wrong with splitting it up" is that the document itself may already have coherence; and the linked material has context when it is part of an entire document, not an isolated bit in the binder.


This is what Scrivenings mode is for. You can create as many chunks at the same outline level as you like, view them as a coherent whole while writing, and decide later whether to show that structure to the reader in your output document.

I'm not saying you're "wrong" to find intra-document linking useful. Just that there's no easy way to implement it given the current structure of Scrivener projects, which assumes a different approach.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Online
User avatar
kewms
Posts: 5445
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:06 pm Post

Biff wrote:Well, actually I didn't want to have e.g. sentences (or paragraphs) / a piece of text being alone in a Binder item (to get that functionallity) with a different formatting / with spaces (where no space should be), paragraphs (when separating a sentence) I do not want, a dashed line, etc.


A fair point, but how granular do you need for your links to be? If you have five links *to* different locations in a single paragraph, do you really need to link to each individual sentence, separately or can you link to the paragraph as a whole? How meaningful will the difference be to the reader?

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Bi
Biff
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:59 am
Platform: Windows

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:50 pm Post

A fair point, but how granular do you need for your links to be? If you have five links *to* different locations in a single paragraph, do you really need to link to each individual sentence, separately or can you link to the paragraph as a whole?

Basically the best would be to get a link to a sentence within a paragraph. So I could get the core information in a context immediately. And linking to a paragraph as a whole would be good also. So when there are 10 paragraphs (which shall be kept in a single item) in a Binder item and the second one or / and the fifth (etc.) could be linked to it would be good as well.

How meaningful will the difference be to the reader?

Actually it's just for me, in a none Scrivenings mode.
Windows 10, 64bit

li
liz
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:40 pm
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:18 pm Post

Is it possible to do something like repurpose the comment link IDs so that you could link back from another document and have whatever segment of text you referenced be highlighted? It's not necessary to have a unique identifier for each bit of text so that it pops up at the top. I would just like to be able to find something without having to reread the entire document and try to figure out what it was I had in mind with the link.

User avatar
DavidR
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:21 am
Platform: Windows

Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:30 pm Post

kewms wrote:
DavidR wrote:I have to say that I agree with liz on this one. Of course, it might involve more complexity in programming than the result would be worth; I don't know. But it would be nice to be able to link to a specific sentence or paragraph within a document from another document. "What's wrong with splitting it up" is that the document itself may already have coherence; and the linked material has context when it is part of an entire document, not an isolated bit in the binder.


This is what Scrivenings mode is for. You can create as many chunks at the same outline level as you like, view them as a coherent whole while writing, and decide later whether to show that structure to the reader in your output document.

I'm not saying you're "wrong" to find intra-document linking useful. Just that there's no easy way to implement it given the current structure of Scrivener projects, which assumes a different approach.

Thanks for this. I have to admit that I haven't really explored Scrivenings. And overall I appreciate how Scrivener is structured, and how in general it allows a great deal of flexibility for users to create their own ways of using it. I do think the kind of linking we're talking about would be a great addition; but if it would be too problematic to implement well, I'm living without it so far. :-)
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

Online
User avatar
kewms
Posts: 5445
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac

Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:05 am Post

Another question to consider: what problem are you ultimately trying to solve? Under what circumstances will the proposed link be clicked? When the link is clicked, what information do you want to present to the reader?

I don't know what the answer is for your particular project. In my own work, though, internal links most often point to a definition, an image, or a reference, all of which seem to naturally have the kind of coherence that justifies creating a sub-document.

If, instead, you're doing something like line-by-line commentary on a text, perhaps the solution is to rethink the layout so that the text and commentary are in such close proximity that links are not required?

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team