Screenplay PDF output problems

mt
mt_si_dad
Platform: Windows

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:20 pm Post

Hey there,

I have a problem when I output/compile a screenplay as PDF. I've tried setting other fonts (Courier New, Courier Prime) as the output, but the same thing happens

At the bottom of the page, the very tip of the next page's first line appears. That is, a series of dots, as if the ascenders from a sentence on the next page are trying to creep up into the very bottom of the page above.

The dots are actually there. I can select them with the mouse in the PDF. But they are not actual letters. Just dots.

Is this a known issue?

mt
mt_si_dad

Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:04 pm Post

Interestingly enough, when I went back and changed all the formatting in the document itself (in Scrivener) to Courier New (I was using Courier Prime for drafting), and then changed *all* the output to Courier New, including headers/footers and the individual parts, it all works fine.

I suspect that Courier Prime isn't a stable font. :( Too bad. I really like how it looks

mt
mt_si_dad

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:18 am Post

follow up to this problem -

I do not know if I know this for sure, but here's what I noticed when I was setting up output.

When I selected Courier Prime or Courier Final Draft, the 'baseline' of the font shifted up one or two pixels. When I seleced Courier New, the baseline was lower.

I suspect (but cannot technically show this to be true) that there is something in the compile function that expects the font for a fixed form document (PDF) to be at a certain place in the x-height, and if the font specifies a different position, the compiler doesn't know this.

I am sad this happens, because Courier Prime is a very nice Courier font. Easier to read, thicker, but without increasing the x-height or widening the letters.

be
bened

Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:12 pm Post

So I installed the Scrivener Demo on Windows 10, tested the Screenplay functionality and came across the exact same behaviour described in this thread. (I didn't set any special font, it's all defaults.) Thus it was one of the first matches on Google when I searched for it. To now see that this seems to be left unanswered and unfixed for 10 years is really disheartening. Is there any reason for that? Posted in the wrong forum? I feel like it can't be that unimportant if it's one of the first obvious errors I encounter while trying to write a script with Scrivener.