Show path of document in editor?

Bi
Biff
Platform: Windows

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:36 am Post

How can I show the path / location of a document opened in the editor automatically?
Windows 10, 64bit

Mr
Mrs Tiggy-Winkle

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:44 pm Post

I thought there was a way to automatically display the path in the header, but I can't find it so I must have been wrong!

You can access the path fairly quickly by clicking on the icon next to the document's title in the header and choosing Path. Alternatively, click Reveal in Binder to reveal the document's location in the Binder (ctrl-shift-8).

There's other navigation tools ... but it depends what you're trying to do and how well you know Scrivener!

Bi
Biff

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:11 pm Post

You can access the path fairly quickly by clicking on the icon next to the document's title in the header and choosing Path.

There is no path shown with me.

Alternatively, click Reveal in Binder to reveal the document's location in the Binder (ctrl-shift-8).

Yes, that's a bit inconvenient, I would like the path / locations just be shown without doing any action.

There's other navigation tools ... but it depends what you're trying to do and how well you know Scrivener!

Well, well, I just want Scrivener to show the path. What does depend on how well I know Scrivener?
Windows 10, 64bit

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:28 pm Post

Biff wrote:
You can access the path fairly quickly by clicking on the icon next to the document's title in the header and choosing Path.

There is no path shown with me.

Do you see the document's title in the header of the editor pane? If you do, the click on that icon, and you'll get a number of items in a contextual menu, among them a "Path" menu.

If you don't see the header bar, then the menu View->Layout->Header View will add it to the top of the editor.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

Bi
Biff

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:35 pm Post

Yes, that is all available, but clicking "Path" does not show a path but the title of the document(s).
Windows 10, 64bit

Mr
Mrs Tiggy-Winkle

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:11 pm Post

Biff wrote:Yes, that is all available, but clicking "Path" does not show a path but the title of the document(s).

Does it list other files below the file you've selected? These are the files which contain that document eg 'John Smith' with 'Characters' below it indicates a file about John Smith contained in a file called Characters. If you only see one file, I imagine it's the file at the top of a container (IE not contained in another file or folder) so obviously there will be no path.

Biff wrote:What does depend on how well I know Scrivener?

I just didn't want to lecture you on tools you may already know about! I can point out a few more navigation tools but it sounds like all you want to do is see the path not navigate round your project so that won't help!

Bi
Biff

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:33 pm Post

Does it list other files below the file you've selected? These are the files which contain that document eg 'John Smith' with 'Characters' below it indicates a file about John Smith contained in a file called Characters. If you only see one file, I imagine it's the file at the top of a container (IE not contained in another file or folder) so obviously there will be no path.

I see, so the "path" is splitted in rows and its elements are shown among each other, the highest level at the bottom, alright, somehow strange.

I just didn't want to lecture you on tools you may already know about! I can point out a few more navigation tools but it sounds like all you want to do is see the path not navigate round your project so that won't help!

Yes, that is right, I understand, thanks.
Windows 10, 64bit

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:04 pm Post

I see, so the “path” is splitted in rows and its elements are shown among each other, the highest level at the bottom, alright, somehow strange.

Yes, it’s not just a passive read-out of the path, but a functional tool for getting to any point in the path in a non-linear fashion. Click on any of its ascending parents to jump straight to that level in the editor.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Bi
Biff

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:14 pm Post

OK, alright, I will try to do so.
Windows 10, 64bit

de
derick

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:12 pm Post

I agree with Biff, though - it would be really convenient to have an option to show the full path to a document, especially when one is browsing through multi-document search results.

Like the Path Bar in the MacOS Finder: https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/show-path- ... title-bar/ -- the finder Title Bar icon behaves the way the Scrivener icon does, but clearly the brilliant minds behind the Finder envisioned scenarios where a path view would be useful, too. I leave this on all the time for distinguishing similar / duplicated documents in Spotlight results.