Footnotes vs inline footnotes

fb
fbb
Platform: Windows

Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:02 pm Post

Hi, can someone explain how inline footnotes are intended to be used? My best guess is that they designate an aside-style comment from the author to the reader, like something they might put in brackets when providing a quick point of clarification. I'm not sure if that's right though, and I'm uncertain of how using the inline footnotes designation might affect styling during compile.

br
brookter
Platform: Mac

Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:20 pm Post

Inline footnotes were Scrivener's original method of including footnotes, before Inspector footnotes were developed - the same is true for Inline Annotations versus Inspector Comments. Now, they're just two different ways of achieving the same thing. It's a purely personal choice: some people prefer seeing footnotes and comments inline in the text while they're writing, others like to have them packed off to one side in the Inspector where they can be hidden with a keystroke. You can easily convert one type of footnote to the other and back via the Document > Convert menu (I think, I'm don't have the Windows version handy at the moment.)

It's a personal choice. Once you've compiled the document, your readers won't be able to tell whether you created the footnotes inline or in the Inspector: the output is the same.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:26 pm Post

As brookter said, inline footnotes are indistinguishable from inspector footnotes once the document has been compiled.

However, some disciplines require both informational footnotes and bibliographic endnotes. You can achieve this by using inline footnotes for one and inspector footnotes for the other. See the Footnotes & Comments pane of the Compile command for relevant options.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

fb
fbb
Platform: Windows

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:46 am Post

Great replies. Thank you!