Scrivener on High Resolution Display

nd
ndgoirish
Platform: Windows

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:32 am Post

I received a new Yoga laptop today with an Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) 15" display. I promptly installed Scrivener, but was disappointed to see that it does not well support such a high resolution display. With the default Windows DPI scaling of 250%, which is necessary for anything to be useable, Scrivener is extremely blurry, including the text, to the point that it almost hurts to look at and thus makes writing with it nearly impossible. If I disable DPI scaling in the compatibility settings, then the GUI scales down so that it is basically unusable.
Is there any obvious fix that I am missing for this, or any hope that Scrivener will better support a high resolution display very soon as they are becoming more common? Scrivener is an incredibly awesome program that I have used for so many purposes, so I would hate to be unable to use it due to having a newer computer, as it is currently unacceptable for high resolution in either mode?
Thank you and Merry Christmas! :D

he
hey_htt

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:36 pm Post

I'm looking for a fix for the same problem on 13" HP Spectre x360 - it would be great to have support for this in future updates.

ec
echo613
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:21 pm Post

I've dealing with the same issue. The new line of macs didn't do anything for me so when I found a deal on a Yoga 910 I bought it without a second thought. I've had it for a month and hardly use it because scrivener looks dreadful. There are a few different "fixes" floating around the forum. I've tried them and none of them help enough.

I know KB and the rest of the staff don't like talking about what's in the works. But, it would really help those of us who love scrivener and have a high resolution display to have some idea about when we can expect a better experience.

ta
taniawoj

Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:45 pm Post

Hey everone, I had similar issues with my Hi-Res screen. I found a solution! It has to do with Windows scaling, there's a tutorial here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2098586/ ... plays.html and then set the exception on Scrivener (instructions on the page I linked to). It's completely clear for me now which is very exciting :)

ec
echo613
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:08 am Post

I have tried some variation of all of those. I can either have clear text or icons of size that human eyes can see them. I can't get both. Since I use the icons all the time (especially the ones in the binder) it's very important to me that I can interact with them comfortably.

I don't expect any of the staff to give a release date or anything official. However, it would be really nice to know if an update (or more likely new version of Scrivener) that addresses these issues is coming summer, fall, or winter 2017 or it it isn't expected until much later. Right now I can't use my primary writing program on the new computer so I need to figure something out. Some information from the staff would be great because then I'd know if I should hold on for a little bit or start looking at other programs.

Ph
Phpp
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:15 am Post

echo613 wrote:I have tried some variation of all of those. I can either have clear text or icons of size that human eyes can see them. I can't get both. Since I use the icons all the time (especially the ones in the binder) it's very important to me that I can interact with them comfortably.

I don't expect any of the staff to give a release date or anything official. However, it would be really nice to know if an update (or more likely new version of Scrivener) that addresses these issues is coming summer, fall, or winter 2017 or it it isn't expected until much later. Right now I can't use my primary writing program on the new computer so I need to figure something out. Some information from the staff would be great because then I'd know if I should hold on for a little bit or start looking at other programs.

I could not agree more. Therefore I am also looking very much forward to getting some information on this crucial subcjet soon.

Thank you very much!
Ph.

RL
RLeal

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:06 pm Post

In this forum:

High DPI Question

Screenwritting font and spacing

It's not a new problem.

Per Scrivener Support:

Because it is built on an older Qt framework that has no HiDPI awareness, Scrivener 1.x is unable to fully support high-resolution monitors. The next major version of Scrivener, currently in development, uses an updated framework with HiDPI support, and we're working on an interim solution for 1.x to provide automatic scaling based on the Windows display settings.