Show items of tree in Binder with dots / llines?

Fa
Fant
Platform: Windows

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:58 am Post

Sometimes the level in which an item is located in the hierarchy / tree is hard to identify for me. Is there an option one could show dots / lines connecting the items of the Binder with each other:

Windows 10 Home, 64bit | newest stable Scrivener

DavidR

Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:58 pm Post

Yes, something like that would be very helpful. The amount of indentation for each lower level in the hierarchy is subtle enough that I often have to check very carefully to be sure where I am.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:06 pm Post

I don't know if you are predisposed toward the more modern way of viewing Windows, but if you prefer the older method of drawing lines between everything in a tree view, you can get that by switching Windows itself back to the classic look (at least in Win7, I'm not sure if they've removed that ability from newer versions). You will get the +/- iconography back as well, instead of arrows.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Fa
Fant

Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:29 pm Post

Thank you AmberV,

So there does not appear to be a way to make Scrivener display those lines / dots, I assume.

Many thanks again.
Last edited by Fant on Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmberV

Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:31 pm Post

Yes, it’s a matter of how the theme/skin works, in terms of the programming toolkit. We are not ourselves going in there and painting every single pixel by hand. We just tell the toolkit to build a tree view using the binder data we feed it, and it handles all of the details. To change how it looks you have to thus change the theme.
Ioa Petra'ka

Fa
Fant

Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:41 pm Post

Oops! I see! I had thought indeed each single pixel / byte is painted and bent manually. So a toolkit? How does such work?

AmberV

Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:58 pm Post

A toolkit is like software for programmers. It means we don't have to build everything you see from scratch. If we want a button that you can click on, we ask the toolkit to place a button, what text to put into it, what should happen when you click it, and that sort of a thing. A more complicated example is a file browser window, where you can "import" files, the whole file browser dialogue is a complicated thing we can request, give various parameters, etc. The binder tree is one such "widget", like the text editor is. Modern programming is all based on toolkits (and you could say, toolkits of toolkits of toolkits, all the way down to very core things like how to use the input from the keyboard). We'd all still be using MS-DOS level software if small developers like us had to do all of this from scratch. :)
Ioa Petra'ka

Fa
Fant

Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:14 pm Post

OK, I understand. So without such a toolkit no Scrivener...but (painful) DOS. Thank goodness there are such toolkits (and developers of course making such a great program).

Thank you very much

db
dbc183c7

Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:32 pm Post

MS-DOS ... Ah, 8) I remember FORTRAN, even Assembler. But even these ran/run subroutines -- toolkits by another name -- that programmers did not have to worry about. Except if we were picky about knowing precisely what that routine could handle as input and 'felt like' doing with it ... and what it put out.

However to get back to the 'point' ... kinda ... to reiterate my posted wish of a while back re 'trees': I'd like to see the results of Project Searches displayed in a tree or other structural pattern that indicated where the found items were; even a named break line would do.
(I resisted, a bit, a forest/trees reference.)

Then 'of course' :roll:, my next request would be to be able to move a 'hit' around among the others as I can in my legacy software.