Suddenly, unable to read from Backup file

He
HellasUser
Platform: Windows

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:24 pm Post

There was some unidentifiable screw-up this morning and, suddenly, I cannot open a project from backup.

scriv.JPG
scriv.JPG (23.81 KiB) Viewed 1402 times

This is the message I get when I try to open any of the backed up projects.

When I open the one project that does open, the text files are empty. However, the size of the project on disk is 809 Kb.

Any ideas will be appreciated. This is a lot of work to lose...

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:49 pm Post

It appears that you are trying to open a backup that is still zipped.

I don't believe Scrivener will work with a zip folder.

If you want to open and work from that backup, then you should is unzip the backup folder someplace, maybe to your desktop. Then double-click on the .scrivx folder to open. If it looks good, close scrivener, and move the backup project folder to your normal writing folder. If the original project folder is still in your writing folder, you should rename if prior to attempting to moving the backup project folder.

But what happened to your original project file that you can no longer use it?
I’m just a customer.

st
stevenmonrad

Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:03 pm Post

We have this situation at all times, and can only unzip or open backup files from the appdata location by saving them to another drive and then renaming them. Then Scrivener will open them.

He
HellasUser

Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:08 am Post

I'll follow the steps! Thank you so much... I have no idea what happened to the original... I was trying to continue where I had left off when suddenly the window closed. Did I do something wrong? Did I hit the wrong key? Who knows? But, overall, Scrivener has some (rare) such quirks... Thanks again...

JimRac wrote:It appears that you are trying to open a backup that is still zipped.

I don't believe Scrivener will work with a zip folder.

If you want to open and work from that backup, then you should is unzip the backup folder someplace, maybe to your desktop. Then double-click on the .scrivx folder to open. If it looks good, close scrivener, and move the backup project folder to your normal writing folder. If the original project folder is still in your writing folder, you should rename if prior to attempting to moving the backup project folder.

But what happened to your original project file that you can no longer use it?

Gr
Graybyrd
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:22 am Post

stevenmonrad wrote:We have this situation at all times, and can only unzip or open backup files from the appdata location by saving them to another drive and then renaming them. Then Scrivener will open them.

Have you set a more convenient backup file location by going to menu "Tools" then "Options" then "Backup" where you can set a new folder location for backups?
On my honor, I will do my best not to do anything unlawful, infringing, disruptive, harmful, threatening, abusive, tortious, defamatory, libelous, lewd, profane, obscene, hateful or otherwise objectionable. Pinky Promise. :mrgreen:

st
stevenmonrad

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:12 pm Post

Not sure how having a different backup location would eliminate the need to unzip every time? Is there a way to set backups so they are not zipped?

st
stevenmonrad

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:39 pm Post

OK, I found it under Tools/Options/Backups to deselect zipping. Thanks.