Unable to open backup file

rp
rp24
Platform: Windows

Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:19 pm Post

I'm trying to open a backedup file but I'm getting the following error message.
I don't know what this refers to :(
Can anyone please help?
Attachments
scrivener error.jpg
scrivener error.jpg (145.91 KiB) Viewed 750 times

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:21 pm Post

You have to un-zip the back-up first?

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

rp
rp24
Platform: Windows

Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:37 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:You have to un-zip the back-up first?

Mark

Right. So I did unzip it (which took nearly 45 mins!) and when I open the file, it does open in scrivener and I can see the title of the various drafts in the binder. When I open any of these, it is all blank.. the text has disappeared! From every single document! Why is that happening?? :cry:

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:54 pm Post

Where do you keep your backups? It looks as if you might have somewhere else than on your normal data portion of you C drive.

Copy the zip:ed backup to somewhere 'normal' (like MyDocuments), unzip the whole project, and open it in Scrivener.

The error message says that the project is in a place where Scrivener hasn't got write permission, which it needs to have.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Gr
Graybyrd
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:57 pm Post

Am not sure what version of Windows you're running, but it shouldn't matter.
I am a bit confused about the directory your backup file is in; those "temp" levels don't seem like the usual place for a Scriv backup file. If it were me, I'd move that backup .zip file to a top-level directory, such as "Documents" for easier access. Then, I'd right-click that .zip file and choose "properties" ... double-check the file size and permissions to ensure all is okay. That zip file shouldn't have 'zero' content, or empty files, as you indicated.

Then I'd go ahead an unzip the backup file in my 'documents' folder. If it takes 45 minutes, something is drastically wrong; either the OS or the file is corrupted. Again, I don't like those several 'temp' levels your file directory showed.

Is that the only backup file you have? What happened with the original project file?
On my honor, I will do my best not to do anything unlawful, infringing, disruptive, harmful, threatening, abusive, tortious, defamatory, libelous, lewd, profane, obscene, hateful or otherwise objectionable. Pinky Promise. :mrgreen:

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:02 pm Post

X-drive suggests that it is not a normal subdir on the C drive.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS