unable to launch/uninstall Scrivener

Ma
Markio
Platform: Windows

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:32 pm Post

I am unable to launch Scrivener. The task manager shows Scrivener but I don't see it.
And I am unable to uninstall Scrivener as well. Scrivener.exe and uninstall.exe are both present in the install folder.
I have tried both running as administrator but that doesn't work either.

And I am unable to launch the installer for the 1.9.5. version.

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:58 pm Post

Try to stop your Antivirus software for a moment and try running Scrivener again. Some Antivirus software does not trust executables without history and might simply block it. I cannot promise this will help, but worth's giving it a shot.

Ma
Markio

Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:19 am Post

I only have windows 10 antivrus firewall, but Ibwill give it a try.

Ma
Markio

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:50 am Post

I have tried it, but no luck.

What should I try next?
What kind of info do I need to share?

sw
swingsetlife
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:03 pm Post

I'm also having this trouble on multiple computers.

Ma
Markio

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:48 pm Post

I have to clarify that when trying to start Scrivener the application is not listed in the Apps list of Task Manager but in the background processes list of Task Manager.

Is there someone from Literature and Latte who could try to help me?

Fi
FireDitto
Platform: Win + iOS

Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:08 am Post

I am also unable to launch the program after running the update.

I tried rebooting my computer, but that failed.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program. That failed.
I tried turning off my Norton, but that also failed.

I am unsure what else to do, and I desperately need to open the program! Please help!
Windows 10 Home

Mi
Mick S

Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:50 am Post

It seems quite a few people are having this problem (me included) and it's been reported to L&L tech support, who are presumably working on a fix.

Some people have been able to get around it by running Scrivener in XP compatibility mode and/or disabling antivirus tools. Running as Admin and disabling display scaling have also been suggested though none of these things have worked for me.

Tech support have been aware of this for several days now so hopefully good news is not too far away.

Cheers

Mick

@m
@mpersand

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:20 am Post

I read several of these posts across the forum over the last few days since the update rolled out. But I am yet to see a single reply from the twelve moderators or techs.

I used to trust Scrivener updates and installed them straightaway. But now, having experienced similar problems in the past, I hold back. Time should be taken by the developer to iron these glitches out before updates are released. I have my own work to do, deadlines to meet, and don't have time to be a beta-tester for software developers. I guess many out there feel the same.

Ma
Markio

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:50 am Post

Point is, I am unable to launch or uninstall one of the former versions (1.8 something). As a result unable to install the most recent version.

I know the staff is quite responsive. The iOS version has been launched, so I can imagine they are very busy squashing iOS bugs. And some staff members may be enjoying their summer holidays.

@m
@mpersand

Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:43 am Post

Yes, the staff is usually quite responsive -- but not at the moment, when answers are needed is my point! Personally I don't use iOS. I paid for the Windows version. Holidays are nice, but others back home still need to work and most companies will plan for such things as that. This isn't the first time an update has been rolled out with work-stopping bugs. It would be great to have all these things the updates bring, but perhaps they may be overstretching themselves a little here.

Ro
Rosiemunro

Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:35 pm Post

I too have come across this issue. I have Scrivener for Mac and wanted to update and use the free trail for a few weeks on my PC. Welp, won't open. Doesn't show on Task manager and trying to open the program via desktop shortcut does nothing. Hopefully it's fixed soon? :(

Tr
Tricia

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:21 pm Post

If you look at the thread I started you will see a tech support reply that's helped me and a few others and at least made Scrivener accessible until - hopefully soon - the problems are fixed properly.

De
Dekade

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:30 pm Post

Best solution for now is this - reinstall 1.9.0.0. That is the measure I took and now I'm back in the comfort zone. However, the first measure to take is always have a System Image backup. For some reason I forgot that I had the image to take me back to 1.9.0.0. If I would have remembered that I would have used it. Forgetful me!!! Anyway, use the below link while it is still available.

Here is the L&L link:

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivWinChangeList.php

Ma
Markio

Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:36 am Post

I ended up booting in Safe mode and deïnstall and install from there.
It works now, but I don't think it's the most recommendable route.