Help! Downloaded update now Scrivener won't load

be
beninoz
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:25 am
Platform: Windows

Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:53 am Post

Fumio wrote:I sense your irritation Marta. I did not intends to cause any further angst but it is very strange that the new release runs as expected on some computers and not others.

There's nothing odd about it. Every PC is different, with a myriad of software already installed. Many PC's have corrupted registry entries, and so on. It would be odd if the update worked 100% of the time. This is normal, though annoying for those with the issue. It is neither the users fault or the developers. It's just life in the digital age.

User avatar
Marta
Posts: 537
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:23 am
Platform: Windows
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:34 am Post

Fumio wrote:I sense your irritation Marta. I did not intend to cause any further angst but it is very strange that the new release runs as expected on some computers and not others.

It is strange. especially since it seems to affect not just XP, but 7 and 10
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0
http://www.spookyfilms.com

ji
jimbro
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:26 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:46 pm Post

"It is strange. especially since it seems to affect not just XP, but 7 and 10"

And since the only thing that changed on my Windows 7 pc was the installation of 1.9.5.

rp
rp24
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:21 pm
Platform: Windows

Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:28 pm Post

Hi,

I'm facing the trouble after the update (currently using 1.9.6 on win 7). Takes forever to load, doesn't load properly in the first attempt so have to shut it down, doesn't even shut down properly so have to do it via task manager and then load again. The second attempt seems to be working but backups (both manual and auto) take forever (between 3-6 mins).

Can anyone suggest a solution?
Is uninstalling the current version and going back to 1.9 the option? And if I do so, do I lose any data/project? (I do have a backup of the most recent project that I have worked on).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank u!

User avatar
Marta
Posts: 537
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:23 am
Platform: Windows
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:18 pm Post

rp24 wrote:Hi,

I'm facing the trouble after the update (currently using 1.9.6 on win 7). Takes forever to load, doesn't load properly in the first attempt so have to shut it down, doesn't even shut down properly so have to do it via task manager and then load again. The second attempt seems to be working but backups (both manual and auto) take forever (between 3-6 mins).

Can anyone suggest a solution?
Is uninstalling the current version and going back to 1.9 the option? And if I do so, do I lose any data/project? (I do have a backup of the most recent project that I have worked on).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank u!


You won't lose any data but when I went back to 1.9.0 I lost my toolbar settings, my import settings &
my background image despite having saved all my preferences.
annoying but what are you gonna do? :|
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0
http://www.spookyfilms.com

rp
rp24
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:21 pm
Platform: Windows

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:36 pm Post

Marta wrote:
rp24 wrote:Hi,

I'm facing the trouble after the update (currently using 1.9.6 on win 7). Takes forever to load, doesn't load properly in the first attempt so have to shut it down, doesn't even shut down properly so have to do it via task manager and then load again. The second attempt seems to be working but backups (both manual and auto) take forever (between 3-6 mins).

Can anyone suggest a solution?
Is uninstalling the current version and going back to 1.9 the option? And if I do so, do I lose any data/project? (I do have a backup of the most recent project that I have worked on).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank u!


You won't lose any data but when I went back to 1.9.0 I lost my toolbar settings, my import settings &
my background image despite having saved all my preferences.
annoying but what are you gonna do? :|

Gr
Graybyrd
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:39 am
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Contact:

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:46 pm Post

beninoz wrote:
Fumio wrote:Every PC is different, with a myriad of software already installed. Many PC's have corrupted registry entries, and so on..


Agreed. From personal experience with both WinXP and now Win7, I've happily used a utility called "CCleaner" for several years to keep Registry entries from accumulating corruption, and to keep the general trash accumulation cleared out. It's a free utility. I go direct to the provider for it ... piriform.com ... and avoid the many other sites that like to tack on their own crud. This might help eliminate conflicts? Dunno ... just sayin' My Win 1.9.6 runs perfectly on both XP, 7, and the latest WINE for Linux.

Their other free utility, 'Defraggler' has also worked well for me for several years now.

A cheer for the Penguin: Linux has no need whatsoever for either of those utilities. Windows will slowly sicken & die without them.
On my honor, I will do my best not to do anything unlawful, infringing, disruptive, harmful, threatening, abusive, tortious, defamatory, libelous, lewd, profane, obscene, hateful or otherwise objectionable. Pinky Promise. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Marta
Posts: 537
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:23 am
Platform: Windows
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:20 pm Post

Graybyrd wrote:
beninoz wrote:
Fumio wrote:Every PC is different, with a myriad of software already installed. Many PC's have corrupted registry entries, and so on..


Agreed. From personal experience with both WinXP and now Win7, I've happily used a utility called "CCleaner" for several years to keep Registry entries from accumulating corruption, and to keep the general trash accumulation cleared out. It's a free utility. I go direct to the provider for it ... piriform.com ... and avoid the many other sites that like to tack on their own crud. This might help eliminate conflicts? Dunno ... just sayin' My Win 1.9.6 runs perfectly on both XP, 7, and the latest WINE for Linux.

Their other free utility, 'Defraggler' has also worked well for me for several years now.

A cheer for the Penguin: Linux has no need whatsoever for either of those utilities. Windows will slowly sicken & die without them.


Yeah CCleaner is great; use it daily had it for many years. a lot of temp files stay in your system after you delete emails
I use Perfect Disk as a defragger and Glary utilities to check my registry
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0
http://www.spookyfilms.com

Mi
Mick S
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:21 am
Platform: Windows

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:54 am Post

Well here we are - six weeks since I contacted L&L's support over what is obviously a fatal issue affecting a significant number of users and ...

Nothing.

No news, no progress reports, no helpful suggestions or work arounds. Just a chunk of dead code rotting away on my HD. Just extraordinary.

Now before I get bombarded with comments about how difficult it all is for the poor developers and corrupted registry keys and all that piffle, let me state that I've worked in the software industry for over 30 years now and I can't recall seeing such a monumentally shambolic fustercluck since sometime back in the mid 80's.

This is not some obscure little bug or minor annoyance. The software WON'T EVEN LAUNCH let alone function correctly. Scrivener is not that complex a piece of software compared to many many other applications in common use nor are its features particularly uncommon.

What is unusual here is L&L's response (or lack thereof) to a very serious issue. Luckily for me, I'm not writing for a living and don't have deadlines to meet but that is obviously not the case for many other Scrivener users. Equally clear is the fact that many users are not quite technically savvy enough to be able to easily move work in progress to a more reliable platform and no reason that they should be. L&L is leaving these users in the lurch, hung out to dry, up the creek without a paddle.

I'd hate to draw the conclusion that L&L is little more than an over-hyped tin-horn donkey show of an outfit but I'm beginning to think that I can smell duck and hear quacking ...

Over to you guys ...

User avatar
kewms
Posts: 5389
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac

Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:56 am Post

tiho_d, who has offered several suggestions and responded to several posts in this thread, including yours, is one of the Windows developers. Mimetic_Mouton is a member of the Windows support team. The suggestion that L&L is ignoring the issue is simply untrue.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Mi
Mick S
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:21 am
Platform: Windows

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:35 am Post

No doubt you're right kewms and I am being unduly harsh but I think my basic point is valid. L&L's response to this situation has been totally inadequate.

Mods have posted a few entry level tips from page one of the complete beginners guide to software trouble shooting but have not progressed beyond that rather feeble first step.

As I've mentioned several times in previous posts, I work closely with software develops and have done so now for many years. It is almost impossible for me not to compare L&L's support to that provided by a wide range of other vendors. Software support is a big part of my day gig. Leaving customers stranded in the dark for weeks on end with no news is all but unthinkable. At the very least I'd expect email updates, informative forum posts or some other indication of what progress is being made.

Is there any clear idea as to what might be at the root of the problem? Clues or hints of any possible incompatibilities or conflicts? Information like this might help some savy user find a fix. How about some idea of a time frame? Might we expect a fix in the next week or so or perhaps within a month? Providing such feedback is seen as a common courtesy by many developers, particularly in situations where end users rely on the software for a living, as seems to be the case here.

I like Scrivener a lot and hope these problems can be ironed out in the near future but that doesn't get L&L off the hook here. When it comes to support, they can do much better.

User avatar
Marta
Posts: 537
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:23 am
Platform: Windows
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:07 am Post

Mick S wrote:Well here we are - six weeks since I contacted L&L's support over what is obviously a fatal issue affecting a significant number of users and ...

Nothing.

No news, no progress reports, no helpful suggestions or work arounds. Just a chunk of dead code rotting away on my HD. Just extraordinary.

Now before I get bombarded with comments about how difficult it all is for the poor developers and corrupted registry keys and all that piffle, let me state that I've worked in the software industry for over 30 years now and I can't recall seeing such a monumentally shambolic fustercluck since sometime back in the mid 80's.

This is not some obscure little bug or minor annoyance. The software WON'T EVEN LAUNCH let alone function correctly. Scrivener is not that complex a piece of software compared to many many other applications in common use nor are its features particularly uncommon.

What is unusual here is L&L's response (or lack thereof) to a very serious issue. Luckily for me, I'm not writing for a living and don't have deadlines to meet but that is obviously not the case for many other Scrivener users. Equally clear is the fact that many users are not quite technically savvy enough to be able to easily move work in progress to a more reliable platform and no reason that they should be. L&L is leaving these users in the lurch, hung out to dry, up the creek without a paddle.

I'd hate to draw the conclusion that L&L is little more than an over-hyped tin-horn donkey show of an outfit but I'm beginning to think that I can smell duck and hear quacking ...

Over to you guys ...

While I agree that there is something wrong with the latest releases (1.9.5 and 1.9.6) across 3 systems (XP, WIN 7 & WIN10)
I DO NOT agree L&L is a donkey show.
I am working with the 1.90 release on Scrivener EVERY SINGLE DAY, and it is rock solid.

Though it was a momentary annoyance to install / reinstall several times, I GOT OVER IT. It has not stopped me from writing at all.

Unless you MUST have a Scrivener which links to iPad, why don't reinstall 1.90 and move on?

Life is too long to worry about petty annoyances. We have dreadful choices in this presidential election which will affect us globally, so using 1.9.0 ain't the eve of destruction. :roll:
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0
http://www.spookyfilms.com

Mi
Mick S
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:21 am
Platform: Windows

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:56 pm Post

Marta, I don't use 1.9 because of the lack of folder sync. For technical reasons I won't bore you with here this feature, which is widely available with much other software, is essential to my work.

I love Scrivener as a writing environment and have been waiting patiently for this feature to become available so I could use it for the bulk of my writing so to find that 1.9.5 would not launch was terribly disappointing.

Were I to lock myself in a garret to write a novel, Scrivener 1.9. would do just fine but as things currently stand it just does not fit comfortably into my work-flow, which mainly involves technical writing.

BTW 1) From reading this forum I have to conclude that 1.9 is far from rock solid for quite a few other users though I haven't encountered any problems with it myself.

BTW 2) As for life being too long and dreadful choices, I couldn't agree with you more. Yikes!

JJ
JJSlote
Posts: 541
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:44 pm
Platform: Windows
Location: NY, USA              Docs in Binder: 10,500+

Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:10 pm Post

Scrivener needs a verbose, diagnostic load option. I'll bet there's no true coding bug, just a missing DLL or an out-of-date video driver that Scriv is tripping on for a few users. Or perhaps a stale Qt library is ahead on the user's path via some other application.

It's not a lack of helpfulness on L&L's part. They're tops. But this entire class of problem would be quickly vanquished -- and for all versions to follow -- if L&L were able to request a copy of the user's load diagnostic report, rather than a zip of the project.

Rgds -- Jerome

User avatar
kewms
Posts: 5389
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac

Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:49 pm Post

Mick S wrote:Is there any clear idea as to what might be at the root of the problem? Clues or hints of any possible incompatibilities or conflicts? Information like this might help some savy user find a fix. How about some idea of a time frame? Might we expect a fix in the next week or so or perhaps within a month? Providing such feedback is seen as a common courtesy by many developers, particularly in situations where end users rely on the software for a living, as seems to be the case here.


As noted upthread, we have been unable to reproduce the problem on our end. That makes troubleshooting extremely difficult, as I'm sure you can appreciate.

Since your system appears to suffer from this issue, perhaps you would be willing to contact our support address to help us figure out how your configuration is different from the many others that work just fine?

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team