Using the Compiler

Marilynx
Platform: Windows

Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:08 pm Post

simeva wrote:I can't comment about the detail of what you are trying to achieve here, but simply as regards saving a compile - the way I understand it works is that whenever you make a change to a set of saved compile settings, Scrivener changes the name of the preset in the 'Format As' box to 'custom' (but this does not change any of the other Compile settings). If you want to keep these settings, with the change you made, then you have to save them again, using the 'Save Presets' button. If you want to over-write your existing preset, just enter the same name in the box. Scrivener will warn you before it overwrites.

Thank you. I do not recall seeing that in the Manual. (I could have missed it.) If it is not, it should be considered for an update to the instructions. I frequently find that directions in Scrivener assume you know what they're talking about.
-- Marilynx

Marilynx

Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:58 pm Post

rdale wrote:Yeah; "Custom" just tells you that you've deviated from the preset you started from.

Didn't find that mentioned in the instructions -- but I might have missed it. (One of THOSE weeks!)

I don't know if this will help, but a feature of the new release earlier today highlights in the binder what documents are affected by each row in the Compile window's Formatting pane. Make sure your documents are visible in the binder and bring up the "Compile" window. Make sure you can still see your binder (if not, cancel and expand your window to be wide enough to peek out from under the compile window). Then go to the Formatting pane and click on each of the folder, document, and document stack rows there. In the binder, you should see various files and folders highlighted in yellow as you select each "Formatting" row. That tells you if you're working on the right row to obtain the effect you want.

That's a pretty useful addition. It confirms that I have the right text being formatted by a given level. (I still don't find Compile at all intuitive, but that could be just me.

Maybe that will clarify where you've entered an extra set of vertical spacing that you thought would affect the chapter title, but is instead affecting the start of each text document?

What appears to be happening is that Compile takes the formatting from the paragraph above a blank line FOR the blank line.

Thus we have this:

ScrivenerCompile_2016-10-07_ChapterHeadings01.JPG
Formatting for "Chapter One," "Chapter Two," etc.
ScrivenerCompile_2016-10-07_ChapterHeadings01.JPG (141.33 KiB) Viewed 740 times

ScrivenerCompile_2016-10-07_ChapterHeadings02.JPG
Text resulting from "Chapter Heading" format
ScrivenerCompile_2016-10-07_ChapterHeadings02.JPG (22.75 KiB) Viewed 740 times

So the blank line which should be between "Chapter One" and the text in Chapter One, is formatted with the 96/18 spacing, just like "Chapter One" is.

The Forum software is not allowing more than 3 attachments to a message, so I will put that in the message following this one.
-- Marilynx

Marilynx

Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:04 pm Post

All righty! Nothing like "THe site's DNS address cannot be reached" when trying to post a message. So, I'll repeat it.

Similarly, the blank line which should fall between the opening blurb and the date line is formatted with an extra 12 points of space because that is what the last paragraph of the italicized text is formatted with. And, the date line has that 12 points of space between it and the actual text of the Chapter, so the blank line after the date line hs that 12 points -- which is putting in WAY more space than is needed.
However, I tried Compiling with a Custom "separator" or nothing, and there was no return after "Chapter One" -- the text started on the same line as Chapter One. Likewise, the text started on the line with the date line, and no hard return after the dateline.

ScrivenerCompile_2016-10-07_ChapterText01.JPG
Formatting the Chapter Text
ScrivenerCompile_2016-10-07_ChapterText01.JPG (163.95 KiB) Viewed 740 times

ScrivenerCompile_2016-10-07_ChapterText02.JPG
Text resulting from the above Formatting
ScrivenerCompile_2016-10-07_ChapterText02.JPG (28.83 KiB) Viewed 740 times
-- Marilynx

Marilynx

Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:50 pm Post

I'm choosing to put this question in the thread with all the rest of my questions about the Compiler. Going back through this thread helped me find and correct several issues I was having, but things are still not quite correct.

My Kindle died; had to get a new one, and while I was loading some of my own stuff back, I decided to produce new Kindle files of things I've been working on.

And I have An Issue.

Here is the layout for the compile. Everything works (so far) except for the indents on the text paragraphs.
DarkLady_Compile01_2020-09.JPG
DarkLady_Compile01_2020-09.JPG (78.54 KiB) Viewed 193 times

Here is the formatting for the text. Re-reading this thread, I noted that I should be able to modify this by clicking on the text, and then selecting the slant A. Except... when I select the text, the slant A remains grayed out. As below. Next message as I'm limited to two attachments in a given message.
DarkLady_Compile02_2020-09.JPG
DarkLady_Compile02_2020-09.JPG (74.89 KiB) Viewed 193 times
-- Marilynx

Marilynx

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:17 am Post

Message continued from previous one. Delay due to preparations for Hurricane Sally.

This is what the binder looks like.
DarkLady_Compile03_2020-09.JPG
DarkLady_Compile03_2020-09.JPG (64.98 KiB) Viewed 174 times

This is where I set the indent in the text, Tools => Options => Editor. The slant A is grayed out in compile, and the text is not indented at the beginning of the paragraph.

DarkLady_Compile04_2020-09.JPG
DarkLady_Compile04_2020-09.JPG (78.68 KiB) Viewed 174 times
-- Marilynx