peeking backstage in Scrivener's XML

Ja
JackAubrey
Platform: Windows

Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:26 pm Post

Just curious about something - not having a good story to tell for Nano, I decided to write an import/export utility for Scrivener.

It works great - 4.rtf becomes The Butler Did It.rtf based on the binder name for the document, the binder structure is reflected in the directory tree in the output directory, and I can sync everything over to my Android.

Then, The Butler Did It.rtf reverts back to 4.rtf (or whatever) to rejoin Scrivener.

I notice the Windows interactive tutorial appears to have extra files. For instance, two copies of Buzz Aldrin's wav file, and there are extra copies of other things - 4.rtf and 142.rtf are the same.

There is an ID=142 in the XML, but no BinderItem with ID 4.

Like I said, just curious, this may be beyond the level of technical support worth pursuing - but I was curious - is there a role for those extra files, or are they sort of leftovers?

Scrivener is great - not just because it's cool for what it is, but it's cool for what you can make of it.

Cheers!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:44 pm Post

It sounds like you may have an older copy of the tutorial. The tutorial is something that I originally ported over from the Mac version of the same, and it was of course edited during the alpha and beta development periods of Scrivener for Windows---during which there were bugs that came and went with project storage mechanisms. It got to the point where I finally decided to just rebuild the project from scratching using version 1.7, to get rid of search indexing problems and other weird issues. If you generate a fresh tutorial now, you should find the numbering starts at around 130, and there aren't any duplicated resources.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ja
JackAubrey

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:06 pm Post

I have Scrivener 1.7.3.0, and was just using the tutorial is generates.

Is there a download to update the bundled tutorial?

Thanks!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:27 pm Post

Hmm, that's odd, if you check the "Tutorial.scriv" project in the Program Files\Scrivener folder, using Explorer, do you see the problem there as well? I just double-checked both that and the original .scriv that I use to generate the public version of the tutorial, and neither have any duplication errors, or data files for IDs lower than 132.

There isn't a separate download, but I'd suggest a simple uninstall/install refresh---perhaps the automatic updater (if that is what you used to obtain 1.7.3) did not correctly update this folder, and if that is the case it is probably a good idea to rebuild the whole application folder.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ja
JackAubrey

Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:07 pm Post

Mystery solved, and thank you for your comments.

The Scrivener installer doesn't delete any existing files in Scrivener\Tutorial.scriv\Files\Docs, in the program files(86) directory.

I had old tutorial files there, and I believe your index id's may have changed over time, which is certainly no problem at all.

When I manually deleted the Tutorial.scriv directory and re-installed, the duplicate documents were gone.

They were never really a problem, anyway, I was just trying to learn.

Be
BethCutter

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:43 pm Post

That import/export utility sounds like a great idea! Are you going to offer it for other people to use?

Ja
JackAubrey

Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:09 am Post

Hi, Beth, I really appreciate the thought it might be of use.

Before I get that carried away, I need to make sure I haven't got any "gotchas" that would cause any risk to a project.

I've also thought of a couple of features that would make the utility more useful.

You're very kind - I'm not ready for prime-time yet, but maybe in a few weeks. Thanks to L&L's straightforward design, this is not a complex thing to do.

Be
BethCutter

Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:08 pm Post

Excellent! I'll look forward to future developments.