Zotero to write a research paper

sa
savingpvtbryan
Platform: Windows

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:45 am Post

Has anyone tried using Zotero to write a research paper? I'm not sure how to efficiently cite things. I'm actually working on my thesis proposal and I've got all my references on Zotero. How would I reference things? Do I just do it manually and write it out? i.e. (Forester, 1999) and then import my references from Zotero? Is there not an easier way like the way it's done in MS Word? I'm totally lost. If you don't know how to do it with Zotero, please tell me an easy way to cite work in Scrivener... I'm willing to try out a different bibliography program, if needed.

garpu
Platform: Linux

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:00 pm Post

I always wrote my bibliographies by hand. By the time you get through grad school, you can cite your discipline's citation format chapter and verse. (Or should be able to.)

As for specific formats, that's stuff any college library should have readily available.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

sa
savingpvtbryan

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:04 pm Post

I forgot to mention that I'm using APA for my paper.

sa
savingpvtbryan

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:02 pm Post

Ay
Aycae

Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:26 pm Post

You could also give a try to the new Zotero plugin: RTF/ODF-Scan for Zotero by Zotero-ODF-Scan. It works as an extension to Zotero and extends its capabilities for any word processor that can export to ODT. The essential significance of this RTF/ODF-Scan for Zotero plugin is that it allows you to keep your citations 'alive'; that is, when you change the info in your Zotero database, it allows you update your document with the updated Zotero data on your next scan (as it keeps Zotero IDs within the text you are writing), like a rudimentary cite-while-you-write plugin (e.g. Zotero for Word).

You can find a much better explanation than mine on how to use this plugin here (with pictures): Announcing RTF/ODF Scan for Zotero | The Zoteroist.

Hope it helps,
Ayca
Windows 7 x64 (main) -- Ubuntu 10.10 on VirtualBox + Mac OSX Leopard