Safe to Rename the Scrivx file?

Br
Brevoort
Platform: Windows

Mon May 20, 2013 7:58 pm Post

Within each Scrivener project folder there is the "project.scrivx" file to launch everything.

Can I rename that filename, (not the extension), to whatever I want? I've tried some tests and it seems to be fine but are there potential dangers?

Rick Grant
Calgary
Rick Grant
Calgary
www.rickgrant.com

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon May 20, 2013 8:16 pm Post

I wouldn't, personally. :) Everything inside the .scriv folder is a part of the format, messing with anything in there is unsupported.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Br
Brevoort

Mon May 20, 2013 9:28 pm Post

AmberV wrote:I wouldn't, personally

That's good enough for me. Thank you.
Rick Grant
Calgary
www.rickgrant.com

Sanguinius

Mon May 20, 2013 10:20 pm Post

I'd like to say that, while it is unsupported, I have been renaming my scrivx files ever since I started using Scrivener and haven't had anything bad happen yet. The nice thing about renaming them is that I can then pin the different scrivx files to my scrivener taskbar icon (Win7), so I can just right click it and choose which project to open into. If you don't rename the files, this process is a nightmare, as all projects you pin will just be called "project" and you won't be able to distinguish between them.

AmberV

Mon May 20, 2013 10:33 pm Post

True, although another approach is to use shortcuts of the .scrivx file, which can be placed anywhere convenient and renamed independently from the thing they are referring to.
Ioa Petra'ka

Sanguinius

Tue May 21, 2013 1:49 am Post

Yes, such shortcuts can be renamed independently. However, if the shortcuts are pinned to the Scrivener taskbar icon, they still show up as "project" in the right-click jump list, rather than what the shortcut is named.

As someone who works almost primarily on my documents using jump lists, this is an important distinction.

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Tue May 21, 2013 1:37 pm Post

Swapping between Mac and Windows, I've noticed that if I create a project on windows, and then open it on my mac, when I return the project to the windows side, the .scrivx file has been renamed to match the project (.scriv directory) name. Mac-created projects seem to start out with the .scrivx filename matching the project name.

Is there a reason that the windows version doesn't do this?
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue May 21, 2013 6:26 pm Post

robertdguthrie wrote:Is there a reason that the windows version doesn't do this?

Is there a reason the Mac version does? :D

The Mac version will also overwrite the name of the binder folder in the .scrivx file back to "binder" if you have changed it (The Windows version looks to the .scrivx file to decide what to call the binder).
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Tue May 21, 2013 8:46 pm Post

pigfender wrote:
robertdguthrie wrote:Is there a reason that the windows version doesn't do this?

Is there a reason the Mac version does? :D

It makes more sense for the Windows version to keep the name of the .scrivx file consistent with the folder name so that a search for "*.scrivx" would result in a list of recognizable projects that a person could double-click on to launch scrivener and open the associated project. On Mac os, you can create a saved binder search for all ".scriv" bundles that accomplishes the same, and it doesn't matter what the .scrivx filename is.
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

AmberV

Tue May 21, 2013 10:00 pm Post

If I remember right, the reason we went with project.scrivx instead of myfoldername.scrivx is that there was confusion over what to double-click on to open the project in the early public beta. Calling it 'project.scrivx' pretty much eradicated that problem (though with the unfortunate side-effect of causing people to think 'project.scrivx' is the whole tamale).
Ioa Petra'ka

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed May 22, 2013 4:12 pm Post

This is why I rename all my scrivx files clickmedumbass.scrivx

Also, hmmm tamales.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

garpu
Platform: Linux

Wed May 22, 2013 7:17 pm Post

Tamales? I miss living in a place where you can get them fresh.

Didn't know you *could* rename the scrivx file. Learn something new every day...
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

AmberV

Wed May 22, 2013 9:13 pm Post

I'm lucky to live in a place where little old grandmas walk around with tamale carts, selling packs of five hot ones for a fiver. :)
Ioa Petra'ka

garpu
Platform: Linux

Thu May 23, 2013 1:18 pm Post

They need to franchise out here. I don't think New England knows what a tamale is, much less a fresh one cooked by someone's abuela. :)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

Br
Brevoort

Thu May 23, 2013 3:47 pm Post

AmberV wrote:If I remember right, the reason we went with project.scrivx instead of myfoldername.scrivx is that there was confusion over what to double-click on to open the project in the early public beta. Calling it 'project.scrivx' pretty much eradicated that problem (though with the unfortunate side-effect of causing people to think 'project.scrivx' is the whole tamale).

So, just to be clear here, can I or can I not rename the .scrivx file?

As a previous poster said, it makes it easier to identify on the quick launch bar.

Rick Grant
Calgary
Rick Grant
Calgary
www.rickgrant.com