Compile page break issue

fa
fadedwave
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:13 pm
Platform: Windows

Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:53 am Post

I'm having an issue compiling a short story to a mobi file for Kindle. My first three documents before the folder with the actual story are Copyright, Title Page and Dedication Page. These have special formatting so I have "as is" checked in Compile. I have also checked "page break before" for the Title page and dedication page.

After compiling I tested the document on Kindle and found an extra page break (so a blank page) before the Title Page and the Dedication. I tried unchecking the "page break before" boxes and compiling again, but now there is no page break at all between the pages.

My separators settings in Compile have an empty line between two documents (because my short story is divided into scenes), which is why I thought checking the page break boxes would be necessary.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? I've compiled a short story like this before with no problems, but that was before the lastest update which I am now using.

Thanks!
Western Redemption in Dystopian America
Read The Wanderer and the New West by Adam Bender

User avatar
MimeticMouton
Posts: 8824
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 5:39 am
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: city of rain
Contact:

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:39 am Post

This is a bug, I'm afraid; it's sort of a compounded issue that became apparent due to other necessary changes that were made in the latest update. Setting the page break flag as you did would normally be the way to handle the situation and should work as you expect, but currently an extra blank line is getting produced which is essentially doubling the page break. Since you have the formatting set and need as-is, I'd leave your settings alone and compile to .epub, then just do a quick fix in Sigil (a free epub editor) to remove the extra blank line from the top of the documents marked "as-is" and those occurring immediately after the empty pages. Save and then open the edited .epub in Amazon's Kindle Previewer to have it automatically converted to a .mobi.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

fa
fadedwave
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:13 pm
Platform: Windows

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:25 am Post

Thanks for the help! I downloaded Sigil and got things looking right.
Western Redemption in Dystopian America
Read The Wanderer and the New West by Adam Bender

le
leshake
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:25 pm
Platform: Windows

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:07 am Post

There's an easy fix for this problem.
Remove all the automatic "page break befores."
Then manually insert page breaks at the end of any text where you want to start a new section in the Kindle book.
It works fine. Try it. It works.

User avatar
jwnelson
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:04 pm
Platform: Windows
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:34 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:This is a bug, I'm afraid; it's sort of a compounded issue that became apparent due to other necessary changes that were made in the latest update. Setting the page break flag as you did would normally be the way to handle the situation and should work as you expect, but currently an extra blank line is getting produced which is essentially doubling the page break. Since you have the formatting set and need as-is, I'd leave your settings alone and compile to .epub, then just do a quick fix in Sigil (a free epub editor) to remove the extra blank line from the top of the documents marked "as-is" and those occurring immediately after the empty pages. Save and then open the edited .epub in Amazon's Kindle Previewer to have it automatically converted to a .mobi.

Any E.T.A. for the fix of this problem? Thanks!
John

User avatar
jwnelson
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:04 pm
Platform: Windows
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:50 pm Post

leshake wrote:There's an easy fix for this problem.
Remove all the automatic "page break befores."
Then manually insert page breaks at the end of any text where you want to start a new section in the Kindle book.
It works fine. Try it. It works.
Thanks! After checking it out, I am going to assume you mean Edit/Insert/Page Break as a workaround. (And keep my fingers crossed that this is remedied before my next project. :wink: )
John

User avatar
jwnelson
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:04 pm
Platform: Windows
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:15 pm Post

Okay, in the Compile step I removed all the page breaks. Then went in and tested inserting page breaks after title page, dedication, and the first couple of chapters. Seems to work fine (but time consuming and inelegant, imho).
HOWEVER, now my TOC only displays "Title Page" and nothing more. Image
(I am reviewing the .mobi output via Kindle Previewer on PC).

Thank goodness I saved this Compile in its own preset. :D

User avatar
jwnelson
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:04 pm
Platform: Windows
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:17 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:....Save and then open the edited .epub in Amazon's Kindle Previewer to have it automatically converted to a .mobi.
Not sure I understand what you mean by this. I do not see a "convert" option in Previewer. Thanks!
John

le
leshake
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:25 pm
Platform: Windows

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:40 pm Post

Using edit/insert/page break and removing all the automatic page breaks did fix the extra page problem, but. . .
I also now can't get it to generate a complete table of contents.
The table of contents seems to be connected to the automatic insert page breaks.
Sadly, this version of Scrivener has gone from okay to lousy, if you want to self publish your books using Scrivener.

I'm afraid I'll have to go back to Indesign to produce my Kindle versions.
Too bad, I thought Scivener was a gold mine for creating Kindle books, but that dream fell apart.

le
leshake
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:25 pm
Platform: Windows

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:42 am Post

Okay, I tried something else to fix the TOC problem.
Here's what I did.
1. created a news project.
2. I cut and pasted ten of my chapters so far.
3. Made sure folder and text names were right.
4. Went to compile.
5. Set Insert page breaks to auto.
6. Set "AS IS."
Then I compiled and guess what?
Got a complete table of contents and no blank pages.
That tells me that when I upgraded my project file became corrupted.
Totally weird.

User avatar
jwnelson
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:04 pm
Platform: Windows
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:38 am Post

leshake wrote:Okay, I tried something else to fix the TOC problem.
Here's what I did.
1. created a news project.
2. I cut and pasted ten of my chapters so far.
3. Made sure folder and text names were right.
4. Went to compile.
5. Set Insert page breaks to auto.
6. Set "AS IS."
Then I compiled and guess what?
Got a complete table of contents and no blank pages.
That tells me that when I upgraded my project file became corrupted.
Totally weird.

Glad to hear you found a workaround! But I dread using it, since I have 80 chapters. :)

le
leshake
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:25 pm
Platform: Windows

Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:48 pm Post

This is my last post on the blank page problem.
If you do the following, you can solve the problem.
1. Compile to epub.
2. Open epub in Sigil.
3. Find the following code line found early in the each document:
<p class="scrivener8"><br /></p>
4. Save the document
5. Open the document in Kindle Previewer.
6. Kindle previewer will convert the file and tell you where it is stored.
Now the mobi file will work without page breaks.
Can't wait for the "fix."
Still, Scrivener is easier than other methods of producing mobi docs.

User avatar
jwnelson
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:04 pm
Platform: Windows
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:26 pm Post

leshake wrote:This is my last post on the blank page problem.
If you do the following, you can solve the problem.
1. Compile to epub.
2. Open epub in Sigil.
3. Find the following code line found early in the each document:
<p class="scrivener8"><br /></p>
4. Save the document
5. Open the document in Kindle Previewer.
6. Kindle previewer will convert the file and tell you where it is stored.
Now the mobi file will work without page breaks.
Can't wait for the "fix."
Still, Scrivener is easier than other methods of producing mobi docs.


THANKS! I will check that out! :)

User avatar
jwnelson
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:04 pm
Platform: Windows
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:37 pm Post

Thanks to some kind advice, I just reverted to the previous version that does not have this bug. :)
AmberV wrote:Yes, you can always revert to the prior version via the release notes page. Just click the 'Older' link to jump down to the last release. If you need to go back to a version prior to what is available, please contact support.

User avatar
jwnelson
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:04 pm
Platform: Windows
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:34 pm Post

Three cheers and my grateful thanks to Scrivener's programmers for so quickly fixing this "bug." I downloaded the latest version today and I'm a happy camper. :D