Should I change from OneNote to EverNote

wi
wickiup
Platform: Windows

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:56 pm Post

I have used OneNote since it came out and it is a great addition and supplement when working in Word.
The capture feature is a great help at times and I was happy with the catagorizing of data. The big downside to me is the lack of compatibility with Scrivener when sharing data.
While I have a huge amount of writing related info stuffed into OneNote there is the option of links which is a somewhat clumsy way of sharing.

How would Evernote improve the collection and handling of data, etc. from this point forward?

Thank you

Jim

wi
wickiup

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:32 am Post

Cripes Folks,

29 views and no opinions??

I loaded the Evernote thing and was pleasantly surprised to find it imported OneNote files as editable text files. This without even opening OneNote as long as I know the needed data location. Very quick, handy and saves exporting to Word and moving again.

I see a move to Evernote on the horizon and the transferring of regularly used data from Onenote to be used as needed in Scrivener.

Thanks for the support. I just know many of you were burning valuable time sitting on the tippy edge of your chair biting your nails in anticipation of the outcome to this challenging and life style altering issue.

Another windfall just this afternoon came my way. Out of the clear and under the pale blue sky a Texan approached me explaining he was in the market for unadulterated BS. I agreed with alacrity to accommodate him with any quantity he needs. I may never have to write another word for publishing.

Hugs and Treats for All

Jim

Go
Gordon Robb

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:24 pm Post

I am a committed Evernote user, but am only very new to Scriverner, and have never used OneNote so cannot comment on the differences.

Regarding its use as a repository of info/stuff/memories. I have over 4 thousand notes, and its search tools are fantastic.

wi
wickiup

Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:13 pm Post

Great, I was hoping to hear good reports on it.

I procrastinated for a couple of months before loading it.

Thanks

Wa
Wadadz

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:31 am Post

Hi, I don't see clearly the functional advantage of Evernote versus Onenote, except for data entry with mobile device.
In Onenote (2010) the capture of information is powerfull, and also the search (which is able to find words in pictures). The ability to tag information and to list all the tags helps to manage a tasks list (E.g topics to research, ideas to detail...) and to link some tasks to Outlook permit to see them in the calendar for instance.

W.

Je
JennK

Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:36 pm Post

I prefer Evernote to OneNote because of its cross-platform availability. You can capture data from many sources -- browser plug-in, smartphone camera, typing, drag-and-drop -- and access those notes from just about anywhere.

My extended family is planning a big trip over the holidays. We've been using Evernote to keep everyone posted about travel plans and activities. It's been nice not having to worry about who's using which device or operating system. Even those who hadn't previously used Evernote have been able to access the notebook from any web browser.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:41 pm Post

I don't understand what would be gained by switching to Evernote, either. For many of the simple uses, these two programs are basically the same, but OneNote goes way deeper than Evernote if you need it to, and once you buy it, it is yours for life. You don't have to continually pay a subscription fee to go on using your software to the fullest potential.

We've been using Evernote to keep everyone posted about travel plans and activities. It's been nice not having to worry about who's using which device or operating system.

I think that sounds like a fine usage of the service. I wasn't under the impression the OP was looking for this kind of thing though; more like a master archive. OneNote would be a poor choice for a family's private web forum (and I'd be using WWW technology for that, rather than a proprietary service, but that's just me!).

Cross-platform isn't nearly as important when it comes to a master archive. Then you just want the best tool for the job, and can rely upon a satellite technique for collection, filtering, and archival. That can include everything from a Moleskine and a pen, to an e-mail account, to something like Evernote. I wouldn't even directly link the satellites to the archive though. Filtering is too important.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Je
JennK

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:11 pm Post

Ioa, I was a heavy OneNote user myself, but then I got a Mac (in strong part so I could use Scrivener, which was Mac-only at the time). Having to run Windows in VMWare Fusion every time I wanted to add a note got real old, real fast, and then it was a pain in the tush to move everything over to a Mac-based solution. So if you know that you'll be with Windows until the end of time, OneNote is amazing. But if there's any chance you'll need that cross-platform compatibility, Evernote might be a better choice.

OneNote is also great if you do most of your work on one computer that's readily accessible. Right now, I need to be able to add and access notes while I'm waiting around for my kids at their activities, which means a lot of time away from my desk. I have a MacBook that cannot connect to wifi unless it's within about six feet of the router (yes, it's been to the Apple Store several times with no resolution), so I find myself using other devices rather than dragging what's essentially an oversized brick with me wherever I go.

For me, the key to a master archive is accessibility. The reason I take (or transcribe) all my notes into Evernote -- even though I love Moleskines (and fountain pens and colorful post-it notes and...) -- is so I can access those notes from anywhere at any time. I don't have to remember which notebook or app contains that great story idea or a snippet of research. And I can organize and filter all those notes into a system that makes sense to me, rather than flipping through notebook pages until I come across what I seek.

And I hear you about there being better solutions for my family's trip planning. It actually came about because my anal retentive planning gene (keeping all our info in Evernote so I'd have it close at-hand on my iPhone while we travel) happened to mirror that of my cousin, so we just shared notebooks rather than reinvent the wheel. Setting up another solution and getting all three generations to use it just seemed beyond the scope of this project. :D

AmberV

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:12 pm Post

Right, I'm a Mac user as well, so I don't actually use OneNote (or Evernote, I don't much care for rigid systems and use a plain-text filing system of my own design), but I do wonder if I would use it for some things if there was a Mac version. It's a pity Microsoft never ported that, because its the only thing out of Office that doesn't make me cringe. Maybe not now though, since one of the things I do like about it over others is the freeform text editor where you can write all over the page. Now Scapple satisifies that particular form of thought development and capture.

I guess my point to the OP was that if you've got a good system, why switch unless you have a couple of extremely compelling reasons to. I hear the "everywhere access" argument (though my personality is not in the least bit compelled by that, and in fact wonders if it is detrimental to the process, but I recognise other people are big fans), but the OP didn't even mention that. Their concern was primarily integration with Scrivener, and I don't think spending tons of time converting one's system to Evernote is going to solve that problem. There are better alternatives if the primary goal is integration with Scrivener.

I have a MacBook that cannot connect to wifi unless it's within about six feet of the router...

That sounds like a blessing to me! I used to get out of the house specifically to get away from the Internet. :) That's becoming increasingly impossible to do unless you bring a device that doesn't hook up, like an AlphaSmart.

For me, the key to a master archive is accessibility.

Agreed, which is where a system of plain-text files work extremely well. If I wanted to, I could make my system accessible everywhere. Just drop the folder with all of the text files into Dropbox, and now I am Living in the World of Tomorrow.

I don't have to remember which notebook or app contains that great story idea or a snippet of research.

I do agree with that too, and that's why I convert much of what I want to save into my file system, rather than leaving them in the original applications (or on the Web). E-mails, forum posts, articles I enjoyed reading, and so forth all end up in one place under one system, it works great for me.

And I hear you about there being better solutions for my family's trip planning. It actually came about because my anal retentive planning gene (keeping all our info in Evernote so I'd have it close at-hand on my iPhone while we travel) happened to mirror that of my cousin, so we just shared notebooks rather than reinvent the wheel. Setting up another solution and getting all three generations to use it just seemed beyond the scope of this project.

Oh, sorry! I didn't mean to imply your system wasn't a good one. That sounds like a good use of Evernote and technology in general, to me.
Ioa Petra'ka

Je
JennK

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:09 pm Post

Being unable to connect to the internet definitely has its advantages when I'm trying to get words on the page. But it's not so great when I also have an editor sending multiple emails every day about a different project or trip planning and such. I'll be a very happy camper when life slows down a bit and I can shut out the internet and just write!

wi
wickiup

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:53 am Post

Well, my love affair with Evernote has just been dashed with cold water.
Using Windows XP and IE which is recognized by Web Clipper upon install.
The Clipper does not work and indicates Evernote is not running even though I am signed in and the Evernote page is up.

Did I dress funny this morning or what??

Haven't found a forum at this time which admits to knowing about this.

Thanks

Jim

eb
ebusinesstutor

Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:02 pm Post

Hello Jim,

I use Evernote all the time and really love it. The Clipper works fine for me - I use Google Chrome.

To get help with this, visit the Evernote forum. Lots of people there that would be happy to help out.
http://discussion.evernote.com/
Garland Coulson, "The EBusiness Tutor"
Internet Marketing Coach
Time Management Coach

wi
wickiup

Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:08 pm Post

Thanks, I'll straighten my tie and give it another try... :wink:

ur
urlwolf

Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:26 am Post

I'm using scrivener for exactly the use case of onenote and evernote. In linux.

AmberV

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:13 pm Post

urlwolf wrote:I'm using scrivener for exactly the use case of onenote and evernote. In linux.

I agree, I think Scrivener does a fantastic job of providing what both of these programs provide, with the exception of some of the convenience stuff. If you don't require the convenience features, then the core works great. I find the concept of documents being composed of many smaller documents to be perfect for notes. It's really, in a less fancy way, what OneNote gets at with its binder.tab.page metaphor, but I think Scrivener's less graphical approach to it lets you dig even deeper.
Ioa Petra'ka