Should I change from OneNote to EverNote

Go
Gordon Robb
Platform: Windows

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:08 am Post

For me the biggest benefit of Evernote is how easy it is to get anything (no matter what) into it.

I have an inbox notebook that everything I put in goes to. I then regularly process those notes to tag them or put them in the right place.

I have it on my iPhone, iPad, both my PCs, and it's accessible on any pc that has internet. Contrary to what someone said, it is FREE to use for life (unless you want to put a huge amount of stuff in there).And the limit is monthly upload, not total amount stored.

I use it for storing everything I think I will ever need again. From my gas bills, to my thoughts, to my todos, to ideas for books. When I'm researching something on the web, I just clip pages I find. When I have something in an email, I just send the email to evernote.

Getting stuff in - could not be easier.

Getting stuff out - is where it comes into its own. The search capabilities are second to none. Even down to being able to search for text in photographs or hand written notes I've sent to evernote.

Cannot recommend it enough.

be
beejay

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:19 pm Post

I have just had to junk One Note since Microsoft informed me that my trial period has ended (it hasn't -- I bought the MS Office program outright) and that I need to move to the Cloud via Windows Live and pay a regular fee to continue using. I'm too busy to sort out the problem, but would be grateful for advice if anyone has had a similar experience. Instead, I have gone back to an ancient and very reliable program called Yeah Write, which dates back to Windows 3 but still works flawlessly in Windows 8. It was sold as a word processor, but can easily be turned into a database because it accepts hypertext. I put pdfs, jpgs and all sorts of things into a big file and link the addresses. I can then call up anything with a click or two, and transfer to Scrivener. That, and Scapple, is about all I use these days, plus Dropbox to transfer files.

fl
flaxton
Platform: Mac

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:02 pm Post

Not sure what message or why you're seeing it. But OneNote is free for everyone now:

http://winsupersite.com/office-2013/its-official-onenote-now-free-everyone

I'm using it on Mac, Android, Linux (Chrome browser plugin) and ... Windows.

Fred

jje

Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:16 am Post

I use OneNote because I know it better; nine times out of ten, the software that's most familiar is the one to use, simply because it doesn't get in the way of writing. Having said that, my reasons (if you're interested) are that I like the notebook/section/pages metaphor; Evernote's "stacks" are too free-form and messy for me, but then I'm probably just being obsessive -- if you like a nice, open-plan filing system on your (physical) desk, Evernote may suit you very well.

OneNote is also very tightly integrated with Outlook, which I use for all my emails, calendars, reminders, etc. If you don't use it, that's no advantage, but I like making meeting notes on my Surface Pro using OneNote and being able to go through them afterwards and just drag and drop things into my Outlook "to do" list, etc.

Finally, OneNote is now on Macs, including iOS, Windows Phone and Android. Slightly annoyingly, Microsoft keep updating each version out of sync with the others, so a few features (e.g. password-protected pages) aren't currently in the Android version, etc. but the core funcionality is common to all platforms. I use the Android version on my phone, which allows me to take a picture of something while I'm researching, add a note as to what, when and where it was, and then open the page later on my "real" computer (desktop PC). Works a treat.

Having said all that, I keep my OneNote and Scrivener projects largely separate at present; may change as I get to know Scrivener better.

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:38 pm Post

wickiup wrote:Cripes Folks,

29 views and no opinions??

Just as a point of reference; there are now over 600 views, and only 19 replies (20 counting this one). This holds the ratio at over 30 views per reply. I expect this is typical; not everyone who views a thread out of curiosity has anything useful to contribute. Please don't take a lack of response as a snubbing; it could very well be a desire not to add irrelevant noise to the beginning of a discussion. Adding irrelevant noise after a discussion has reached a conclusion is de rigueur on these forums, however. Often, it devolves into the great pie vs. cake debate. Choose your side wisely.
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:56 pm Post

robertdguthrie wrote:
wickiup wrote:Cripes Folks,

29 views and no opinions??

Just as a point of reference; there are now over 600 views, and only 19 replies (20 counting this one). This holds the ratio at over 30 views per reply. I expect this is typical; not everyone who views a thread out of curiosity has anything useful to contribute.

I fall into the latter category. I doubt you really want to hear my tired, old, not-really-valid rants about microsoft. So I read the threads to see other people's USEFUL input. Heck I might learn something*. I could always start trolling the Windows threads, but then I think that would be worse than simply not commenting...

* Doubtful that it would sink in, but ...
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

wi
wickiup

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:41 am Post

Well, as the original OP I have enjoyed following along and was surprised to see this topic re-emerge.

I am involved in several unrelated writing and research projects with much unrelated data to coordinate, edit, sort and store.

My conclusion for me is to keep EverNote for daily sorting, OneNote for the serious editing and storage of data and to use Scrivener for it's design purpose of writing. Keeping the clutter to a minimum in Scrivener seems to be helpful and speeds some things up.

Not interested in any Cloud "use it and/or lose it" doohickies so I feel well covered with OneNote 2007, whatever EverNote offers this week, our good solid L & L Scrivener and my backup system with all it's redundancies.

Great topic coverage...

Thanks to all

Jim

Mad Girl Disease

Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:19 am Post

I tried to like Evernote. I really did. But I have found that everything I've ever tried to do in EN can be done with less fanfare and futzing about with Gmail.

In Gmail, I create a new "note" by starting a new mail, keeping the To field blank (so it can't be inadvertently sent anywhere), giving it an appropriate Subject, and then just letting it sit in the Drafts folder. I open and edit it as needed, it auto-saves every few seconds (just like EN), and will sync a device either automatically or manually. As I'm already using Gmail, doing it this way is one less site/app to have to bother with.

YMMV, but for me, Gmail is the new Evernote.
Lead me not into user error.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:36 am Post

I used Gmail as an information manager for a while, it’s actually pretty good for that! The only main difference from what you describe is that I would, when I was done with something, send it to myself so that it would leave the Drafts folder and be a part of the archive. If I needed to edit it, I could just hit Reply and send the updated “reply” to myself. What you end up with, thanks to the “conversation” threading, is a version stack for any document you repeatedly edit. Eventually I ended up abandoning the system, not for any lack of comfort with the features available or anything like that, I just didn’t like the idea of storing everything online like that. I suppose that argument doesn’t really make sense to Evernote types in the first place, though. :)

I used a dedicated Gmail account for this, with only one contact in the address book—that same account.

Want an offline backup? Just hook up a POP client and download everything every once in a while.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles