Ran 'Project Replace' on one word, and it wiped everything!

da
dahurn
Platform: Windows

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:44 pm Post

I recently pasted my 185,000 word project into Scrivener after trialling the program successfully with a couple of essays. My very first attempt at editing has been disastrous... I ran a Project Replace to correct the spelling on one word, and it wiped every file! Every wordcount was 0. I am thankful that I had a back-up in Dropbox. But now I am too scared to work with Scrivener for this very large document. What could I have done wrong? :?:

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:31 pm Post

You should always back up your project before running a massively destructive command like project replace. I'd say a very large Documents/Convert/Formatting to Default Text Style could potentially be another candidate for backing up first. These commands cannot be undone because they operate on many files at once, and they can totally ruin a work in seconds.

As for what happened, I don't know, Project Replace works fine for me, and I have no other reports of it doing what you describe. So there is something in the precise way you called up the command, typed in the words, and perhaps even in the composition of your project that caused a failure---and without knowing more of those things it's hard to say if you hit a bug, or if perhaps the tool was just used incorrectly. I can't think of a way to accidentally replace everything with nothing, though, so I'm leaning more toward a lightening strike of a bug.

If you take your backup, and create a new duplicate copy of it on the Desktop for testing only, try doing the same exact thing again. Does it blank the project? If so, and if you don't mind doing so, please send us a copy of the project for analysis along with step-by-step instructions on how to call up the Project Replace panel, what to type in, and what optional checkboxes to use. If you send in a test, create a new duplicate for us from your backup so that it is pristine. Right click on the whole folder, and Send To a compressed zip archive. windows.support AT literatureandlatte DOT com.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

garpu
Platform: Linux

Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:25 am Post

AmberV wrote:You should always back up your project before running a massively destructive command like project replace

Ahem. Ask me how I learned this one. The hard way. On a file for my dissertation...
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE