Yes, I've been busy registering...

mt
mt_si_dad
Platform: Windows

Sun May 06, 2012 11:01 pm Post

Just wanted someone to know that it's legit that it looks like I'm registering multiple copies...

I have a PC Desktop with Scrivener.

Yesterday I bought a new PC laptop and installed Scrivener prior to giving my PC Desktop to my wife. (Since she doesn't use it, I uninstalled it from that PC.)

I discovered the new laptop had a hardware error, so I returned it this a.m.

I'm busy re-installing Scriverner on this new, NEW laptop.

I'm not installing it everywhere - believe me. Just this one instance.

garpu
Platform: Linux

Sun May 06, 2012 11:21 pm Post

I can only imagine what they must think. I use it on my desktop and laptop. My fiance (who lives with me, of 11 years) uses it. And to make matters worse, I was having issues with corruption in a WINE prefix, so I had to install it 3 times in one day. You'll probably be OK. :)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Mon May 07, 2012 2:41 pm Post

This is fine. They won't get mad at you. I think the limit is 5 registered computers, and the registration process goes something like this... If you register a 6th computer, then the oldest registration is deleted on their servers. If you run Scrivener on that machine at some point, it will prompt you to register on it; doing so will un-register the next-oldest registration. So it could be a pain if you are trying to run on 6 different computers (at which point, you should be buying another license), but if you had a dead computer registered, it's registration will eventually be recycled when you bump up against that limit. I think it's a pretty elegant solution; the typical "oldest registration" will be on the most obsolete computer, or one that has already been tossed on the scrap-heap, so you will rarely get into a situation where this inconveniences you.

(Note, this is just what I remember from explanations by Keith; I could have completely jumbled the facts.)
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon May 07, 2012 3:34 pm Post

Here are the details, and here is the link to the full licence.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

garpu
Platform: Linux

Mon May 07, 2012 3:47 pm Post

Oh good. They changed it so we're not breaking the EULA by running it under Windows. :)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE