Unanswered Posts re: epub and Kindle format

Jo
JoGirl

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:26 pm Post

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:16 pm Post

Hi Jo,

I'd guess that the short answer is that these are known issues and the ebook compile options are one of the areas that the team are likely to continuing to look at developing.

It's worth remembering, however, that "Scrivener itself is not an e-book editor, even though it can produce e-books via its compiliation process." Have a look at the following support page where the team links to a couple of free tools to help tidy some of these things up.
http://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/ ... th-e-books
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

Jo
JoGirl

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:33 am Post

pigfender wrote:Hi Jo,

I'd guess that the short answer is that these are known issues and the ebook compile options are one of the areas that the team are likely to continuing to look at developing.

It's worth remembering, however, that "Scrivener itself is not an e-book editor, even though it can produce e-books via its compiliation process." Have a look at the following support page where the team links to a couple of free tools to help tidy some of these things up.
http://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/ ... th-e-books

I think what I asked for was reasonable and so was the other poster. We wanted support, help, suggestions of how to do what we couldn't do. I had already taken many steps to get answers. And I did read about the free tools to edit text on the Scrivener website. I bought Scrivener because it can compile "feature rich ebooks" in Kindle and epub format. That is from the manual. I looked for another way to successfully compile a .mobi file with a complete TOC since it was reported there was a bug with chapter one. I spent several days investigating how to make an .mobi file and I concluded that it was beyond me to learn Sigil. I corresponded via email with a wonderful lady who teaches just how to use Sigil to format .mobi and .epub files and she said the process is still "daunting" even with her help. If my manuscript was finished right now, I would send it to her and pay her to do it. Her price is far less than the cost of many hours it would take me to learn how to do it. She downloaded the demo of Scrivener and said it works just fine to compile an ebook. I think she has a Mac.

I read Richard Hewson's book on how to write a novel with Scrivener. I was inspired. I bought Scrivener with compiling to Kindle in mind. In the latter portion of his book, he described the steps he took to compile the ebook. I read his book in my Kindle and it looked fine. Although he has the Mac version, he did point out differences with the Windows version. I don't expect Scrivener to be able to handle fancy formatting such as block quotes, footnotes, tables, images. I do expect it to successfully compile an ebook that works in the Kindle and the Nook because that is the purpose of having the compile feature. When, it will work in the Windows version, I don't know. The good news for me is I have time since I am months away from needing the file and I met a great publisher who can do it for me.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:44 pm Post

I'm not disagreeing with you. My only point was that I think the reason you've struggled to find an answer is simply that the degree of functionality you want is not there right now.

Basically, Scrivener is a writing tool designed to help you get to your first draft. I personally think of the compile options as various ways to export my content into a format that can be reviewed and appraised, rather than being a way to generate a 'consumer-ready' output. It doesn't automatically produce a printed and bound paperback book; it produces a document you can send to an editor or publisher. Likewise, the ebook options produce something that can be read and reviewed on an ebook reader, but - at this stage in the Windows version at least - you may need to use some form of external software as well before you go to the paying public.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

Jo
JoGirl

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:33 pm Post

First, I should have said David Hewson, not Richard. Sorry about that.

pigfender wrote:I'm not disagreeing with you. My only point was that I think the reason you've struggled to find an answer is simply that the degree of functionality you want is not there right now.

Basically, Scrivener is a writing tool designed to help you get to your first draft. I personally think of the compile options as various ways to export my content into a format that can be reviewed and appraised, rather than being a way to generate a 'consumer-ready' output. It doesn't automatically produce a printed and bound paperback book; it produces a document you can send to an editor or publisher. Likewise, the ebook options produce something that can be read and reviewed on an ebook reader, but - at this stage in the Windows version at least - you may need to use some form of external software as well before you go to the paying public.

pigfender, your response caused me to find this blog by Peter Labrow, author, editor, and in it he discusses Scrivener, Sigil and Mobipocketcreator. http://blog.peterlabrow.com/2011/02/20/ ... e-e-books/ One of his conclusions is:

"In fact, for someone whose aim really is to (at some point) publish entirely electronically, Scrivener is almost the only tool I need. I say almost, as I still need to output copies for my editor/proofreader, who works on a PC using Word – but I’m looking at ways of getting around that, too."

From Scrivener's home page for Windows:
"Scrivener provides all the tools you need to prepare your manuscript for submission or self-publishing. Once you’re ready to go, control everything from how footnotes, headers and footers appear to fine-tuning the formatting of each level of your draft—or keep it simple by choosing from one of Scrivener’s convenient presets. Print a novel using standard manuscript formatting. Export your finished document to a wide variety of file formats, including Microsoft Word, RTF, PDF and HTML—making it easy to share your work with others. Or self-publish by exporting to ePub or Kindle* formats to share your work via iBooks or Amazon, or for reading on any e-reader."

David Hewson said: "With a new release for the Mac, version two, it added the ability to take authors straight to the manuscript submission stage or to producing a finished ebook ready for publication on Kindle or one of the other ebook distribution systems."

Now that is encouraging !

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:09 pm Post

Do remember that the Mac version had 5 years of continual development before the Windows version came out in any form. Add the fact that the Windows version is not a port of the Mac version, but a complete rewrite of hundreds of thousands of lines of code on the basis of the Windows programming language and APIs ... If Lee set out to match the Mac version 2 before releasing you'd still be waiting for the first beta and by the time he got there the Mac version would have moved on anyway, as that's not frozen.

Sure, there are many things available in the Mac version that are not there in the Windows version, but the team has said over and over again that they will be there, but it'll take time to catch up.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

li
lissie
Platform: Windows

Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:23 pm Post

Is there any ETA of these features for the Window version of Scrivener This is the growth area of publishing at the moment and there are more and more approaches to doing this in user-friendly software such as WordPress.

For many reasons I'd prefer to do the whole work flow in Scrivener - but if not I will spend the time to learn a new system.